I just got the strangest phone call

This is a discussion on I just got the strangest phone call within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by RevDerb I did the reverse look-up on whitepages.com as well as switchboard.com and for a mere $14.95 I can get all of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just got the strangest phone call

Quote Originally Posted by RevDerb View Post
    I did the reverse look-up on whitepages.com as well as switchboard.com and for a mere $14.95 I can get all of the information that I want on 866-849-3243. Too rich for my blood. That's half a box of .45acp.
    Please do not pay for those searches, They bait you again and again for more money for the additional search. If anybody need a number for a legit purpose please PM Me.

2. Remove Ads

That reverse phone number is scary. I put in my phone and brought up my address and a map showing my place. and approx. age. I dont like it.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    It's so bad, I think I need to change my phone number. The only people who call me are family and friends. No girls. Maybe if I changed my number, I would get lucky and one would call me. . .
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I get the "The warranty on your car is about to expire" phone call all of the time. Occasionally, I will stay on the line to mess with them.

It's a company cell...It's not my minutes, but they are definitely not getting any info.
    Too funny you mention that, I just got one today like an hour after reading the OP.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    That reverse phone number is scary. I put in my phone and brought up my address and a map showing my place. and approx. age. I dont like it.
    You may not like it but it's a matter of fact in today's information rich world. The passing of the Freedom of Information Act began this slippery slope of disclosure.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    It's so bad, I think I need to change my phone number. The only people who call me are family and friends. No girls. Maybe if I changed my number, I would get lucky and one would call me. . .
    Let us know how that works out for you. The young lady at the dry cleaners has been asking me for my phone number for years and I have to keep reminding her that she never calls me.
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I probably wouldn't call them back. If it's solicitors, that may be a loophole around the do-not-call list. You called them back, therefore, you are interested and not being solicited at that point.

I've answered the phone to a recording once. I don't stay on.

I really hate it when they call you, immediately say, 'Please hold'. You called me, I am not holding.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I always hang up on recordings, If you call me I want to speak with a person, not a machine. I really hate it when I call about a problem on a bill and I have to go through multiple menues just to talk to a person. I mean, if I wanted to talk to a machine I could mow the lawn and cuss at the mower for an hour or two.

Tele-marketers are now hitting some cell phones. Gave my cell phone number to the Residence Inn in Parsippany, NJ back in March. Been getting calls from from tele-marketers ever since.

VIP Member

Grand Central - a partial solution

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Tele-marketers are now hitting some cell phones. Gave my cell phone number to the Residence Inn in Parsippany, NJ back in March. Been getting calls from from tele-marketers ever since.
    There is a company, I think owned by Google, called Grand Central.
    GrandCentral: The New Way to Use Your Phones

Through them you are able to get a phone number which goes to their computer system. You are able to direct calls (from your computer) to your home, cell, work, or any other number. You can block callers, allow family to call at any time but others go directly to voice mail or get blocked.

It is very flexible, very easy to use, and giving that number out to business folks gives you some control over the calls you get.

I've been very very pleased with this service---and no, I have no financial or other interest in the service. It just works nicely and meets my purposes.

Now, when any business person asks for a phone number I give them my Grand Central number. If they are people who need to contact me, e.g., my doctors, I allow the calls to reach my home, my cell, and my wife's cell. If they are people I never want to hear from, I just go ahead and block their number. Hence, no need to argue with a store clerk who has been told by a manager, who was ordered by corporate, to ask for customer numbers.

I answer and set the phone down...come back and hang up 10-15 minutes later...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just like answering the door, if I do not recognize you (the number)..you aint gettin in! (answered)
    "Brains before Bullets"

My friend recorded about 6 seconds of a fax tone. So telemarkers think it is a fax and hang up and anybody know him know to wait 6 seconds to leave a message after the fax tone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links