How many hunters do we have?

This is a discussion on How many hunters do we have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I chose a couple times a year, but to call it hunting is a stretch as I hardly ever need the rifle I'm carrying. ...

View Poll Results: How many of our members hunt,and how important is it?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hunt every season, every day I can.

43 37.07%
  • I hunt gun season only.

21 18.10%
  • I go a couple times a year.

29 25.00%
  • I don't hunt.

23 19.83%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many hunters do we have?

Well, I chose a couple times a year, but to call it hunting is a stretch as I hardly ever need the rifle I'm carrying. I usually tell the wife that I'm going "gun-walking"
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have the same atttude about hunting. Not trying to start a war, but I have never understood how killing innocent animals with high powered weapons is fun and can be considered "sport." I am particularly turned off by the typical picture of the hunter or hunters standing or kneeling behind the animal they just killed with a big grin on their faces.

Now with that said, and although I would personally love it if everyone voluntarily gave up hunting, I fully understand that hunting is part of the culture in many parts of the country, and fully accept and support the right of those who wish to do so to continue to hunt.

One other relevant point as it relates to the Second Amendment. It is a mistake to conclude that everyone who doesn't like hunting is necessarily anti-gun or anti Second Amendment.

I have spoken to many people who carry and who are radical Second Amendment advocates, as I am, but who, like me, simply find hunting personally distasteful.
    I don't hunt for fun, although it is and/or can be(just the stalking aspect alone). I hunt for food. Food isn't cheap. Especially lately. I hit hard times last year for a while. I stayed afloat by spending the money I would have spent on meat at the grocery store on bills instead, and hunted for the meat to stock the freezer. Sorry I'm no cow. I can't live solely on grass forever.

You won't find hunting so distasteful when it's keeping you alive.

edit:
    Although, you have to look at what most folks call hunting these days. It usually consists of finding where the game trail usually runs, setting up a stand/blind/good hiding spot, and waiting for the game to come on along to you. Realizing that, that really isn't hunting. It's ambushing. Hunting would require you actually do some leg work and track it down on foot, etc...
    Last edited by packinnova; September 29th, 2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: extra info
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I'm not hunting big game this year, but I will be afield with my shotgun for upland/migratory birds every chance I get!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I use to hunt every weekend then I was permanently injured,if I can find someone to hunt with me and help me retrieve the game I will go hunting.In Texas I got a hunting and fishing license for everything free being a disabled vet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I'm going out this afternoon. :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't hunt for fun, although it is and/or can be(just the stalking aspect alone). I hunt for food. Food isn't cheap. Especially lately. I hit hard times last year for a while. I stayed afloat by spending the money I would have spent on meat at the grocery store on bills instead, and hunted for the meat to stock the freezer. Sorry I'm no cow. I can't live solely on grass forever.

You won't find hunting so distasteful when it's keeping you alive.

edit:
    and track it down on foot, etc...
    Packinnova, hunting for food is quite different and I have no problem with anyone who does so. I am sure that if I found it necessary, I too would hunt.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I no longer have a Bow and have never had a black powder gun, If I hunt it is for food, hide and bones (all parts are utilized if possible) I ysed to hunt year round with my Camera. I hunt and fish less now that I am older and it is harder to get around. In Washington we have a Large game license and a small game license. A person can buy both or one or the other. Small game is less strenuous to hunt. Now that I am alone I really don't need to put up a lot of meat and I hate wasting food. I don't kill to kill or for trophys, but just for survival, meaning if my life is in danger from an attack or if I need food.

Administrator
    Whats with the folks who say hunting is "distasteful" but have no problems going to the grocery and picking up a couple of chickens or steaks?

All the hunters I know and hunt with are very aware and responsible about natures gifts. They all consider themselves as conservationists and they do more than any enviromentalists or non hunter/fisher to preserve nature.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As I am not legally allowed to hunt humans, I don't.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    Haven't done much the last several years but I used to hunt all the time. Feral hogs (my favorite), deer, dove, varmints...you name it.
    Feral hogs your favorite? Does that include dressing them out?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

All the hunters I know and hunt with are very aware and responsible about natures gifts. They all consider themselves as conservationists and they do more than any enviromentalists or non hunter/fisher to preserve nature.
    Those are the only people I hunt with ... they are called "Sportsmen". Its the sportsman that keeps hunting and fishing alive in America today.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have the same atttude about hunting. Not trying to start a war, but I have never understood how killing innocent animals with high powered weapons is fun and can be considered "sport." I am particularly turned off by the typical picture of the hunter or hunters standing or kneeling behind the animal they just killed with a big grin on their faces.
    Ordinarily a male goes through several states in which his attitide is likely to change.

Stage 1: First BB gun -- no sparrow should be left standing.

Stage 2: First 22 -- graduated to rabbits, prairie dogs, etc. -- None should be left standing.

Stage 3: First Shotgun -- no duck should be left in the air. Regretfully, few of the ducks are dressed out for eating.

Stage 4: Higher Powered Rifle -- Deer and the like -- more discreet now because of enlightenment about conservation of wildlife. Cost of meat per pound is likely to be 20 times more per pound that store bought beef, but will brag about how tasty venison is.

Stage 5: Military (for some) -- Live targets. See stage 1 for enemy subjects.

Stage 6: Post Military/and or older -- more discreet now. For most males, they have quit killing animals just for the hell of it.

Stage 7: May have drifted to shooting wildlife with cameras.

Stage 8: Has shifted to abundant target shooting such as clay targets for shotgun, longer targets for rifle, and much closer targets for pistol.

Stage 9: Reverts back to 3 and 4 to teach children and grandchildren, but hates to stand in a duck blind shivering at 5:00 a.m. in the morning.

VIP Member
    cwblanco I've noticed those stages, and they fit pretty well and seem somewhat age-related.

I remember stages 1-4 very well, though we did eat all our ducks. I think I'm somewhere in the 6,7,8, & 9 groups now.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I also wonder how the anti hunters think that something better is waiting for deer/game that hunters don't kill...as if being ripped apart by a mtn lion or pack of coyotes is a prettier/more suitable way to die. There are few peaceful deaths in nature.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

There is only 2 classes Predator or prey.... just because you hunt in Wal-Mart grocery section doesn't change that!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links