How many hunters do we have? - Page 3

How many hunters do we have?

This is a discussion on How many hunters do we have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Working a full-time day job and pulling security on weekends doesn't leave much time, but I am going bow hunting this weekend and plan to ...

View Poll Results: How many of our members hunt,and how important is it?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hunt every season, every day I can.

43 37.07%
  • I hunt gun season only.

21 18.10%
  • I go a couple times a year.

29 25.00%
  • I don't hunt.

23 19.83%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Working a full-time day job and pulling security on weekends doesn't leave much time, but I am going bow hunting this weekend and plan to get back in the woods in December and January.

In Mississippi (description shortened for clarity):
    archery season: October 1 - November 21;
    1st gun season: November 22 - December 1;
    1st primitive season (includes archery): December 2 - 15;
    2nd gun season: December 16 - January 21;
    2nd primitive season (includes archery): January 22 - January 31.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Mississippi has such a large whitetail pop. that more deer are hit by cars in any one year then all those taken by hunters!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Thanks to the real eastate bubble going bust I currently have two mortgages. Suffice it to say that my family eats lots of venison.

To Ron: I do hunt for the sport too. I love the outdoors and all thats in it. If you are out in the woods you see so many amazing things. To some they may be small but to me I love it. I also think it is very rewarding to match wits with a wiley old buck and come out on top. Deer are not easy to hunt!

Things I thought were cool that I've seen last year in the woods.
    Two bucks fighting
    Three bald eagles
    six swans including a newly hatched swan.
    a flock of about ten thousand black birds land in the tree I was sitting in (it sounded like a train when they all took off)
    hundreds of turkeys and deer in their natural habitat doing their thing ( they are neet to watch)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Slight flaw in the poll. Some people to not firearm hunt. Here in MI, I know a few hunters who only bow hunt (all season). This includes deer, turkey, etc. Not to many bow / duck hunters I think

If I could get a dog I'd go rabbit hunting. I think Turkey hunting is the closest I get to being a "sportsman."

As for me, the only hunting I'm sure to do every year is the 15 or so days of deer / rifle season. Bag limit hunter (so no sportsman here). Can't call it sportsmanship, as everyone just takes a spot and good luck to any deer that wanders in. We even talk via CB if we see one.

We are safe about it, but it is hunting via holding your post (more like a war time boarder). Can't call it very sporting.

Everyone practices and targets in their weapon every season. So we are responsible in that way. Always take clean shots. We are sporting in that way. However, so many of us out there, not a big deal. If I don't have a clean shot, some one else in the family will get one.

We split up the harvest between the hunters.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Thanks to the real eastate bubble going bust I currently have two mortgages. Suffice it to say that my family eats lots of venison.

To Ron: I do hunt for the sport too. I love the outdoors and all thats in it. If you are out in the woods you see so many amazing things. To some they may be small but to me I love it. I also think it is very rewarding to match wits with a wiley old buck and come out on top. Deer are not easy to hunt!
    )
    atctimmy, as I said in my post, I respect and support your right to continue to hunt. I, too, love the outdoors, and all the things in it. I hike, and used to cross country ski and snow shoe when we lived in Michigan. I just don't get the killing of those beautiful animals when not necessary for food. Deer may not be easy to hunt, but they don't get to shoot back at you.

I really don't want to start a war over this. You enjoy hunting. I don't. Let's just leave it there.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Most of the monies to support and care for our wildlife comes from hunters and fishermen (plus support our economy; see my blog Dec 21) If those opposed to hunting were to give an equal amount our wildlife would be in much better health. Since Man has expanded out into the wilds and killed off the natural predators, mainly due to fear, the other animals overpopulate and spread disease if not kept in check by hunting pressure. Even now Bears, cougers, racoons, coyotes, and possums are being killed because they are encroaching into the suburbs causing people fear. Then when they are killed the animal rights people scream about it. Animals have their on turf so to speak. For instance each couger has an area about 25 to 35 sq. mi., with population growth of the big cats they are forced into the human area. Humans and their pets then become prey. Catching and moving the animal to another cats area will just force one or the other to move. The only ways to keep a balance is to either kill the cats (hunting or poisen), force the humans to live in cities, or we could Kill of the humans.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Ron, is it any more humane to pick up a package of steaks or pork loin after that critter died from a bolt to the head in the slaughter house? There is more to the hunt than the pulling of the trigger with the high powered rifle. There is time spent with family and friends, learning the woods and how the ecosystem works, and learning about the animals and what they do to survive and the patterns they follow. To each his own I guess.
    farronwolf, you make an interesting and very valid point. In fact, I think that the cruelty and horrors of the factory farms and slaughterhouses is much worse then hunting, where in most cases the animal is killed quickly. That is why I don't eat meat.

And, I understand the idea of time spent with family and friends. It is just that I can do that without the need to kill animals. But, you are right, to each his own.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I had to pick a couple times a year. Actually it's less often than that, and could be once or twice in two or three years now. Rabbit and deer here in Arkansas. Sort of changed after I moved from Kansas. Used to go more up in Kansas, and that was mainly pheasant and duck hunting up there for me. That was some 24 years ago. Not an avid hunter actually, but I do understand those who save up their yearly vacation time to do that. I remember my electrical course classes through the state at the community college here in the early 90's, and the school classes were always canceled for the first two weeks of deer season here due to the high amount of absenteeism possible during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ...I just don't get the killing of those beautiful animals when not necessary for food. Deer may not be easy to hunt, but they don't get to shoot back at you....You enjoy hunting. I don't. Let's just leave it there.
    I just don't get how people worry about the killing & eating of "beautiful animals." I guess the millions of cattle / beef are ugly and deserve to die. If you eat meat, then eat a Venison steak, and if you like it, you will understand why it is just food, not murder. You don't eat meat, does that include ugly fish or meat byproducts? Maybe there is no hypocrisy and you eat soy and fruit.

Do you approve of the inhumane treatment of apples at the orchard or corn on the farm. Do you know how many fuzzy cute animals die due to farm equipment every year. How about the cider mill. We could be eating those apples. Instead we only take the juice, while others starve. Do you go wild strawberry hunting? How dare you, that food is for the forest creatures. Just because those strawberrys taste better does not give you the right to steal bambi's lunch.

For the record, the vast majority of all food consumed by Americans is not necessary. From eating to much to the waste of produce. The irony, the system is so messed up, that without food waste, many would starve.

Hunter view it all as food. The vast majority hunt because they like the taste (at least the hunters I know).

BUT MOST OF ALL

Lack of hunting, more often then not, reduces a wild herd (at least for white tail deer).

Now I understand (a little) how you feel. For example, I don't hunt duck. They taste fine, but in my little surburbian world, a duck is something I feed, not eat. Almost every year I help out a family of ducks in my back yard. I just like ducks. But I have no objection to others hunting duck.

Hunting is a great thing, as long it is not done carelessly.

VIP Member
    Ron,

I have a greater respect for your opinion now that I've read that you don't eat meat. It's nice to hear from someone (even with a different view) that isn't a hypocrite. Good for you. Conversly, I hear from people (mostly women) all the time about how much of a bad person I am for hunting. Then they order a steak or a chicken sandwich...
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I'm one of those deer hunters who looks forward to opening day like a kid at Christmas. I'm self employed and will hunt as long as I have tags, sun up to sun down. I'm willing to forgo thousands in lost income to put a deer or two in the freezer. I rifle hunt alone in Ct. on private land. After the season is over I will have a new perspective on life. Do a lot of soul searching praying and reflecting while enjoying creation. O-Yeah then there's the awesome rush of plugging Bambi with a high powered 308 150g round.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I'm one of those deer hunters who looks forward to opening day like a kid at Christmas. O-Yeah then there's the awesome rush of plugging Bambi with a high powered 308 150g round.
    That's what i'm talking about
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I answered that I go a couple times a year. Wish I could hunt more.

Grew up in MI...when married and living in N. MI...hunted almost every day of any open season...moved to AK...hunted a lot there, too. Those days are gone, hunting in FL seems limited to Hogs and 'baby' deer., and I'm not really that interested anymore.

I checked...I don't hunt (anymore).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I hunt only gun season but as often as I can find time for. I try and go out for everything here except bear and moose.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links