How many hunters do we have? - Page 4

How many hunters do we have?

This is a discussion on How many hunters do we have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't bow hunt much , but do hunt ruffed grouse, ducks and rifle deer hunt. My hunting doesn't involve elaborate blinds w/ heaters, bait ...

View Poll Results: How many of our members hunt,and how important is it?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hunt every season, every day I can.

43 37.07%
  • I hunt gun season only.

21 18.10%
  • I go a couple times a year.

29 25.00%
  • I don't hunt.

23 19.83%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many hunters do we have?

Lead Moderator
    I don't bow hunt much , but do hunt ruffed grouse, ducks and rifle deer hunt. My hunting doesn't involve elaborate blinds w/ heaters, bait piles , lures, scents ect. I like to just get out and become part of nature as much as possible.
    shooting a game animal is second to getting out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I drew an antelope tag this year. I leave for the hunt on Friday!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I hunt as much as I can, but that equals once or twice a year. Work sucks.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I voted couple times a year as that is what I would like to go. When I was growing up, I went almost every season, but I slowed down after going into the Marine Corps and then moving to NJ after leaving AD. I want to start hunting again though it will probably be just gun seasons(shotgun/muzzleloader) as I dont think I will have the time to practice enough with a bow to be accurate enough to have humane kills on a deer. All that said, I believe in eating whatever you kill. If it happens to be a trophy, so be it. That has never been my focus though. My focus has been on providing meat for my family.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I would hunt if I had to, in order to feed us, but I don't do it as sport. I'm an animal lover, though not of the PETA variety, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on an animal. I respect those that do hunt, just doesn't appeal to me.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ron,

I have a greater respect for your opinion now that I've read that you don't eat meat. It's nice to hear from someone (even with a different view) that isn't a hypocrite. Good for you. Conversly, I hear from people (mostly women) all the time about how much of a bad person I am for hunting. Then they order a steak or a chicken sandwich...
    atctimmy, thank you. This is the kind of post I have come to expect from members of this forum when we have differences of opinon on a particular topic.

And, just to make it clear, although I don't get it and would prefer if no one chose to hunt, I most certainly do not consider hunters to be "bad" people. In fact, I would be standing toe to toe with the hunting community defending against any attempt to deny hunters the right to hunt.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I used to hunt nearly every day of the year - all legal game during their seasons and varmints the rest of the time. Now I am only a sometimes hunter, mostly when one of my kids needs a partner.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    atctimmy, thank you. This is the kind of post I have come to expect from members of this forum when we have differences of opinon on a particular topic.

And, just to make it clear, although I don't get it and would prefer if no one chose to hunt, I most certainly do not consider hunters to be "bad" people. In fact, I would be standing toe to toe with the hunting community defending against any attempt to deny hunters the right to hunt.
    To each his own, I can respect and support a position like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Gun season; but, all game and non game species I can.

I want to hunt. I never grew up with hunting and no one in my family hunted so I don't know the first thing about it. It's a shame since i live in CO and there is lots of wildlife.

I am not a hunter, but I certainly respect those that are. And, at least for deer here in NY, I see it as benificial. Having a major collision with a deer earlier this year, I know that thinning the herd will help to protect those (driving) on the the road.

Also, I have several friends that hunt for the food, and save it in the freezer to feed their family for quite a while.

As for me, I'm the type of person, while drving along, if I see a sign at a fork in the road saying "Bear Left", I'm just happy no one will shoot it.
    Last edited by JonInNY; September 30th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I hunt just about everything that walks or crawls up here. It has been over 5 years since I have purchased beef hamburg or steak to cook at home which is NICE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    farronwolf, you make an interesting and very valid point. In fact, I think that the cruelty and horrors of the factory farms and slaughterhouses is much worse then hunting, where in most cases the animal is killed quickly. That is why I don't eat meat.

And, I understand the idea of time spent with family and friends. It is just that I can do that without the need to kill animals. But, you are right, to each his own.
    Ah...that makes a world of difference. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it does put everything in a much easier to understand perspective. To each his own I suppose.

I don't think I have the fortitude to get by without meat. Actually, I know I don't. I tried for a few weeks once before...it didn't end well. I pretty much fell apart.
    I must have had half a veggie farm with me in various bags and gladware containers at work and out and about daily etc... and was never able to get enough to satisfy my cravings or get enough energy out of it. I suppose the plus side is that I lost a lot of weight really quick!

I'm a fairly active guy so a constant lack of red-meat, fish, and chicken type protein doesn't work for me and no, whey protein doesn't cut it either(although it does help with recovery after a heavy lift routine).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I do not hunt. I simply don't want to kill animals and I don't think I would enjoy the experience. I am certainly supportive of those who do hunt. I realize that it is extremely important for the environment and, as I'm sure most here realize, hunters do more for the environment and the protection of the animal population than any tree hugger. However, I am most definitely a meat eater and, if necessary, I would hunt to eat.

I am thankful that we live in a society that allows me to enjoy meat by simply going to the grocery store. If I actually needed to hunt, I would hunt for cows. I prefer beef to venison any day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    If I actually needed to hunt, I would hunt for cows. I prefer beef to venison any day.
    That is until you had to drag one to your car. Oh my aching back...
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links