How many hunters do we have?

This is a discussion on How many hunters do we have? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bow season opens here in the morning, I'll be in the woods with my longbow. I hunt with a bow, with black powder and a ...

View Poll Results: How many of our members hunt,and how important is it?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hunt every season, every day I can.

43 37.07%
  • I hunt gun season only.

21 18.10%
  • I go a couple times a year.

29 25.00%
  • I don't hunt.

23 19.83%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How many hunters do we have?

Bow season opens here in the morning, I'll be in the woods with my longbow. I hunt with a bow, with black powder and a rifle (a Tikka 25/06 is my current favorite). I live and hunt here on my farm and some on public land, every chance I get, along with my kids, son in laws,grandkids, my brother and his family and friends. We deer hunt, rabbit hunt, squirrel hunt, quail hunt, dove hunt, fish and even trap some. We eat everything we catch or kill and enjoy it all, the hunting and the eat'n. We also raise our own beef, pork,chickens and grow a big garden. Hunting is not only hobby and recreation, it's a family tradition. I want my grandkids to know where food comes from ( my kids know), veggies grow on the land, they aren't "made" in the back of the SuperCenter, meat comes from animals, something died to make that hamberger, and I like to think I and my family have more respect for the animals it comes from than folks who only see it on a plate or in the display box at the store when they buy it.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

2. Remove Ads

This has been a pretty interesting thread. I don't have any problems with folks who don't hunt, or those who don't eat meat. Those non meat eaters would probably have less adjustment to make during a SHTF scenario, assuming there is someplace to get the veggies they love.

One question I do have for those that don't hunt. In a SHTF scenario where you were forced to hunt for your food, ie meat. Do you all know where to shoot the intended meat that you would take, and after you do shoot it, do you know how to process the carcass in order to get the value out of the meat you just shot?

I am not trying to step on toes here, just putting some "food" for thought out there.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    This has been a pretty interesting thread. I don't have any problems with folks who don't hunt, or those who don't eat meat. Those non meat eaters would probably have less adjustment to make during a SHTF scenario, assuming there is someplace to get the veggies they love.

One question I do have for those that don't hunt. In a SHTF scenario where you were forced to hunt for your food, ie meat. Do you all know where to shoot the intended meat that you would take, and after you do shoot it, do you know how to process the carcass in order to get the value out of the meat you just shot?

I am not trying to step on toes here, just putting some "food" for thought out there.
    Since I was the one most active on the non-hunting side of this thread, I should probably answer your question.

I think that I could probably figure out where to find the animals, but must admit that, at this time, I haven't a clue as to how to process the carcass.

However, depending upon how bad the SHTF scenario was, if the internet was still working, I believe that I could readily find instructions.

If not, I suppose that I might have somewhat of a problem, but I don't think that I am going to lose a lot of sleep worrying about it now.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

PETA= people eating tasty animals
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I agree with Ron. As a non-hunter, if the SHTF, and my reserves run out (of which I have a 30 day stock), I suppose need would drive me to hunt. I am in Upstate New York, so the deer are plentiful, as is fishing in the Hudson River, so I don't think I would starve. Although it may be messy I could probably prepare a carcass well enough to get the meat I would need.

I do have several friends that are neighbors AND are hunters, so I suppose that I could ask for some help from them. That's what friends are for!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I do not hunt. I simply don't want to kill animals and I don't think I would enjoy the experience. I am certainly supportive of those who do hunt. I realize that it is extremely important for the environment and, as I'm sure most here realize, hunters do more for the environment and the protection of the animal population than any tree hugger. However, I am most definitely a meat eater and, if necessary, I would hunt to eat.

I am thankful that we live in a society that allows me to enjoy meat by simply going to the grocery store. If I actually needed to hunt, I would hunt for cows. I prefer beef to venison any day.
    I'm just curious, SelfDefense, have you had venison? I would rather have venison over beef any day of the week.To me, venison has better taste than beef. OMO. And people who do eat meat DO kill animals, albeit indirectly, as they drive the meat market. I do not understand people who do not eat meat, as humans are not meant to be vegetarians(by our teeth). Humans have evolved as omnivores, not herbivores. If we(through either evolution or creation) were meant to be herbivore, our teeth would be much thicker and different than they are.IMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I guess I wasn't clear when I posted the where to shoot the intended animal. I wasn't talking about where to find them, but where as in what part of the body to aim at for the kill. For example, the vitals on a deer are not the same place as they are for a hog. They are in the same general area, but for example, a hogs heart and lungs are much more foward in its body than a deer's vitals are.

All this is good information to know just in case, even if you don't ever intend on using it.

Anyway, didn't really mean to hijack the thread but simply to put some thoughts out there for those that have not had the experience or prior knowledge.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Farron,I haven't hunted hogs yet so I dont know where to aim. How is it different from whitetail?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Here is a link, although not a very good, it does show how much more forward and lower the heart is on a feral hog than on a deer. If you shoot behind the front leg and 1/3 or 1/2 of the way up on the body like deer there is a good possibility you will be having to track the thing for a long way.

If your shooting a rifle, just shoot them in the ear canal if you have a good shot, but with a bow, the heart location makes it much more challenging if you don't want to be on your hands and knees crawling through brush following a blood trail.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Never been, unless you count bowfishing. I might take some squerrels with my brother in law this year though.

mighty hunter

every year. waterfowl- oct.
    firearm deer-you know the date
    smal game-all season long.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I'm just curious, SelfDefense, have you had venison? I would rather have venison over beef any day of the week.To me, venison has better taste than beef.
    Yes, I have had venison. I have had it fancifully prepared at a restaurant and have cooked at at home. We have a meat market in town that has wild game, even kangaroo. I have never tried the kangaroo. I find the game meat to be too lean with a slightly off flavor. Certainly, that is because I have eaten beef all my life. Nothing is better than a well marbled New York strip, cooked medium rare and slathered with butter.

And people who do eat meat DO kill animals, albeit indirectly, as they drive the meat market.
    I, personally, do not kill them. I have no probem with others killing animals. They were put here for our benefit. I try not to step on ants. (As long as they are outside.) It doesn't please me to kill animals. If you give me a dead thing I have no problem butchering it.

I do not understand people who do not eat meat, as humans are not meant to be vegetarians
    I don't understand vegetarians at all, especially when their reasons are political. I do know that meat is tasty.

yes i hunt. matter of fact 3 high school buddys of mine are flying in from st. paul min. next week to join us for a hog hunt in oklahoma, i'm looking forward to finaly take my ruger super red hawk out on a hunt.
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

I bow hunt , gun hunt deer & in between i call in coyotes & cap them every chance i get, when i am not crow hunting & turkey hunting i enjoy them all & rabbit hunting too

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    In you SHTF scenario (particularly for city dwellers), add:

1. Does your planning include food supplies, family clothing needs, and shelter for your winter arrival at your hunting ground. Remember that you likely will need to have your family with you, because returning home with a dressed out carcass may not be a viable option.

2. Do you have gas stored away to arrive at your hunting ground?

3. Have you planned your exit routes from congested traffic areas?

4. Have you planned on how to deal with the thousands of hunters and mountain men who likewise will simultaneously be shooting at the same game at the same time?

5. Although you know how to process the carcass, are you geared up to preserving the carcass without refrigeration, i.e. making jerky from fires prepared from tree limbs, etc.

In summary, your SHTF planning will require a lot more knowing how to find, shoot, and dress game.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links