Economy Woes & Family

This is a discussion on Economy Woes & Family within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When he say get 1000 rds of ammo, is that Speer Gold Dot SD or a mix of SD and FMJ. I have probally 1000 ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economy Woes & Family

When he say get 1000 rds of ammo, is that Speer Gold Dot SD or a mix of SD and FMJ. I have probally 1000 combined for all my fireams.

2. Remove Ads

I would like to have an AR15 before they possibly are off the market!

Wow I'm beat after that.

GOOD READ

Administrator
    The low~lifes will for sure sink to even lower depths.

But, by their very nature they will still go after the easier targets.

We are in for tougher times but, that is no reason to develop a defeatist attitude.

The creative, independent, "out of the box" thinker should be able should be able to turn the impending future negatives into personal positives.
    With every radical downward economic change comes woe for many and great new opportunities for some.

Interesting thread.......

I, for one, don't think that the meltdown will happen...........yet. The powers that be will manage to put together a package that will delay the meltdown for a while. They cannot prevent it, as the damage to our financial and political systems is already done, but they can, and will put it off for a while. This is a good thing because it allows us a little more time to prepare.

One thing that is encouraging is that, if you look at the history of the great depression, crime didn't really go up that much. We are, however, living in different times today, and I would expect that crime will go up quite a bit more than then, due to the many years of demeaning the value of life, and cementing of the "entitlement" attitude.

The only thing that we can due is to prepare ourselves financially and defensively. From the financial end, I could likely have done more, from the defensive end, I have, and am procuring more, capability of defending me and mine.

Lon

P.S. don't forget the 7.62 or 5.56, when it DOES happen, it will be VERY ugly........

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I, too, think a lot of it is election year hype. If this financial crisis is such a crisis and we need a solution NOW, why is Congress waiting until next week for a vote? Why did they delay it so long up to now. Hmmm. Maybe it isn't as bad as we all think.

On the other hand, I personally feel this is the way the Tribulation is going to start. I am waiting for the Rapture any minute now...
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm of the thinking that 75% of the problem is election year hype, but I do recognize the distinct possibility of a meltdown...but what do you expect when you build your house out of cards.

Yes, if the markets completely tank, crime will rise especially in the transition period. Even our poor are spoiled, and will do stupid things for their designer clothes, cell phones and video games. They do it now, just wait until they can't get their bags of chips and beer. Speaking of beer, substance abuse will rise a great deal as well, and we all know that crime and addictions go hand in hand.

I hope I don't regret posting this, but part of me hopes it does happen. No, I don't wish for people to lose jobs etc, but I do think it might be needed to wash out the dead weight of society, politics and maybe open up the eyes of the people. Maybe a few hunger pangs will get peoples faces unglued from the idiot box and pay attention to world around them. I think it would also pave the road for a third party to really hold some power.
    There will be a price to pay though, as we are finally learning the lesson that nothing is free, and one way or another, the piper always get his.
    I agree 100% with everything you said. I told my wife much the same thing tonight and until I explained my thoughts, I could see she was thinking I may have finally gone crazy. It would be a mess, but I believe that individual American spirit would turn things back around mighty darned quick....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    Besides my normal preparation of ammo, food, and barter goods, I'm buying depressed stock.
    If I were younger and had some cash, that is exactly the right move.

In fact, it is always a good idea to actively seek out undervalued stock.

Recovery will come; it may take 10-15 years, but it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I, too, think a lot of it is election year hype. If this financial crisis is such a crisis and we need a solution NOW, why is Congress waiting until next week for a vote?
    Uh, yesterday they voted. They voted NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    I agree 100% with everything you said. I told my wife much the same thing tonight and until I explained my thoughts, I could see she was thinking I may have finally gone crazy. It would be a mess, but I believe that individual American spirit would turn things back around mighty darned quick....
    The rest of the quoted stuff disappeared, but something was posted about folks doing stupid stuff as the crisis worsens. That is true of the better off as well.

I knew of a guy who lived in a 2,400 dollar per month condo, drove a Caddy, wore 2 K suits and alligator shoes. One fine day he drove himself to a bank, walked in, put a gun to the teller, and walked out with a few hundred dollars. He was arrested half a block away.

Yes, the OP's premise is correct. Crime will go up as the economy tanks. What remains to be seen is how badly it will tank.

No one really knows. The effect may be very very delayed. For example, folks in their early fifties depending on 401 K savings for retirement 15 years from now may never be able to recover.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The rest of the quoted stuff disappeared, but something was posted about folks doing stupid stuff as the crisis worsens. That is true of the better off as well.

I knew of a guy who lived in a 2,400 dollar per month condo, drove a Caddy, wore 2 K suits and allegator shoes. One fine day he drove himself to a bank, walked in, put a gun to the teller, and walked out with a few hundred dollars. He was arrested half a block away.

Yes, the OP's premise is correct. Crime will go up as the economy tanks. What remains to be seen is how badly it will tank.

No one really knows. The effect may be very very delayed. For example, folks in their early fifties depending on 401 K savings for retirement 15 years from now may never be able to recover.
    Thats just it; the "better off" will now be joining the ranks of the poor, and just as prone to, if not more so, to acts of desperation. My point was that our poor do a lot of crazy and stupid things for luxury items when things are fine, I can't imagine how it will be when its for survival.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I gotta agree with Sixto, and have said it for almost the past year or so, that I kinda hope things go south for a while.

Every once in a while you just gotta flush the crap out of the system, get people a dose of reality and get peoples heads on straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Maybe they will have to work past their planned retirement age, or make some other changes. If we do go through a severe recession or depression even, we all will have to change our lifestyles to some extent. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, since many of even the "thrifty" people spend money on stuff they don't need, me included.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    A gun and a Shovel can go a long ways. Can Goods, water, ammo or reloading supplies and many other things will bring comfort if and when it all goes down.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    A gun and a Shovel can go a long ways. Can Goods, water, ammo or reloading supplies and many other things will bring comfort if and when it all goes down.
    But that only lasts so long, being a preacher I'm sure you know all about giving a man a fish vs. teaching him how to fish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats just it; the "better off" will now be joining the ranks of the poor, and just as prone to, if not more so, to acts of desperation. My point was that our poor do a lot of crazy and stupid things for luxery items when things are fine, I can't imagine how it will be when its for survival.
    During the great depression the US was still self-sufficient, we had more agribusiness (farmers and ranchers), in fact there was still that independent thinking versus the group (herd) mentality. Communities were made up of individuals who provided for themselves and supported the common good, that I'm afraid is seriously lacking in today's "Global Economy". Too many citizens have lost the independent spirit and that makes them very dangerous when their world starts to crumble and they begin to turn feral. I'm thinking that if the SHTF, I would really not want to be living in the city. That is were it'll breakdown the quickest IMO, from there it'll spread to suburbia. I'm not sure it'll come to that, but I'll hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by The Arverni View Post
    We're going to end up like some corrupt, old-world-type country, where there's no socio-economic upward-mobility, a huge underclass, and a small elite, made up of people who got in before the oligarchy slammed the door shut behind them.
    Uh....yup. I think that's where we're headed
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

I kinda think we may be close to the bottom now. The adjustment yesterday was a cleaning of the house, and i hope to see more lending and securities institutions fold or get absorbed. The irresponsible practice of sub prime lending, no verification loans, and packaging BBB- loans as AAA+ and selling them off and backing like bets as Credit Default Swaps to me is, and was criminal. These "chiefs" need to be in jail.

I think congress will come up with a bail out, probably staggered, but it better not include any out-the-door compensation for these greedy bastages. Personally I think it should include prosecution.

Lastly keep in mind that this is not a new problem we are in, the economy and markets have been in a decline for the last two years, almost exactly two years. 2008 did not take its "BIG HIT" this month either, the sharp decline started in May.
    I think we are close to the bottom, I hope so. I'm investing back into the game again but playing it safe and smart, I'd like to retire in 10 years.

As for getting ready for the worst, I'm stocking up at about a case per week, ammo is expensive. I also think an AR-15 and another shotgun is a good idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links