Economy Woes & Family - Page 4

Economy Woes & Family

This is a discussion on Economy Woes & Family within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO If the markets drop much, its going to be very interesting to see how people adjust. I'm wondering how many will ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If the markets drop much, its going to be very interesting to see how people adjust. I'm wondering how many will actually adapt, and how many will flip out and others will do nothing.
    Heh...I'm already on it. I was worried about all this nonsense long ago. I spent a good 6 months cramming and studying hard and then I went out and got myself a much higher paying job(almost double) about 3 weeks ago now. My plan is to pay off as much debt as I can as fast as I can and the rest is going to savings. No new toys for me for a while. Adapting can be done. I think the ones that "can't" adapt...are usually the ones that we need to allow to float away with the trash.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    I don't think the Bush admin has anything to gain, but there are those who want power badly that have everything to gain. Generally speaking, there are a lot of window licking folks in the voting public think that it is one partys fault and the other is going to fix it.

Payrolls; there is a lot of small business out there that do this on a regular basis. They need the short term credit to make payroll or buy material to keep rolling.

I have experiance in the construction industry, and it is often a juggling act, paying for material, labor while waiting to get paid from the client; I couldnt tell 20 guys with hungry familys that they will get paid when I do... not many small businesses can float a 20-30k payroll on their own.

In an ideal world you are right... loans shouldnt be needed to make payroll. But thats the way it is, and there is a majority of Americans who are employed by small business, and most are only a paycheck or two from personal financial disaster.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Agree with Sixto above on the need for a functional credit system.

Elsewhere, someone commented roughly as follows: whatever happened to folks saving for the things they want? LOW SALARIES. People who can't make it on the diminished pay received these days can not save. And the folks who thought they were saving have just watched their money disappear. There is no ability or incentive to save with our present high underlying inflation rate. (When I began working 45 years ago I would sweat bullets to save 50 bucks. Today, I can't even buy a tank of gas with what was saved. Real purchasing power has been exchanged for an illusion of purchasing power. Under these conditions, how can anyone be encouraged to save. It is just throwing money away.)

There are no easy answers to our mess. And we all own it. It was caused by a succession of bad decisions by politicians, business people, ordinary consumers, and lots and lots of theft outright. I do think Ross Perot, screwy as he apparently was, was the best choice on the economy 16 years ago. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and he was right on the one issue.

A solution, a fix, can not be found because we have a dysfunctional political system. Actually, the dysfunction is built in. Congress was designed to be unable to act in haste. Problem of course is that we live in an internet world and a Blackberry- iPhone phone world, not the horse and buggy days. Sometimes quick decisions are necessary and doing something is better than doing nothing. Sometimes the other way around. Either way, our political system is a bit too horse and buggy to cope.

Congress needs to be redesigned to roughly half the number of house members. The number of states could be redefined by combining them in such a way that populations were roughly equal per each new state. Tweny-five states with populations of 12-20 million each would likely work a lot better.

Of course none such can happen, so from time to time we endure gridlock and stupidity on a massive scale.

Well at least the cost of oil is going down..now if that price reduction would trickle to the pump.

We have had worse times on Wall street, But the election has magnified the issue & that increases the Chicken Little effect. The rest of the world markets dipped but recovered.

The financial crisis is not being manufactured for political gain it's being reported with bias for political gain. One side is chicken little because they want a savior.

It's a credit issue more than anything else. We have to stop borrowing. People are strung out on credit so when the country goes through a financial down turn it causes the ones on the knifes edge to fall on the blade.

It's actually a good time for someone with good credit and a solid job to looking into purchasing a home. Same with stocks.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Administrator
    From reading on the 'net and talking to people, its funny and scary how people think about all this... I've had several people tell me they are hoping bank X goes out, because thats who holds their mortgage or car loan. We all know that if bank X goes, we won't have to pay on the loan anymore.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's the old If the bank burns down , I don't have to pay my loans back ...

Wrong, It the loss of operating capital that fails banks, the loans still have value and some one will buy them.

That's why commerical banks are doing ok and the investment banks are failing. They are two different types of banks, run off different monies.

If everyone ran to thier bank and withdrew thier saving then we would be in trouble. Commerical Banks needs customers with saving accounts to provide money to invest.

They are trying to increase the FDIC insurance for banks to $200,000+ from $100,000 to make people keep money in the commerical banks.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

From reading on the 'net and talking to people, its funny and scary how people think about all this... I've had several people tell me they are hoping bank X goes out, because thats who holds their mortgage or car loan. We all know that if bank X goes, we won't have to pay on the loan anymore.
    Really, does that apply to credit unions as well. Gosh this may be great for me.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nothing would make me happier than to see the oil and gas industry plummet to ZERO !!! Sorry if that offends some of you, but I used to work in that industry, and all I've known about it is that it's full of nothing but CROOKS, liars and thieves who would sell their own mother for a chance to make a dollar!

Now, back to the thread topic at hand. I've noticed A LOT of people around here buying more ammunition and gun sales have spiked from what I see at the local stores.

Was at a local gun shop yesterday and the owner commented on how he's running out of stock on shells/bullets and he's been real happy with his sale of guns lately... both hand and long.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Nothing would make me happier than to see the oil and gas industry plummet to ZERO !!! Sorry if that offends some of you, but I used to work in that industry, and all I've known about it is that it's full of nothing but CROOKS, liars and thieves who would sell their own mother for a chance to make a dollar!

Now, back to the thread topic at hand. I've noticed A LOT of people around here buying more ammunition and gun sales have spiked from what I see at the local stores.

Was at a local gun shop yesterday and the owner commented on how he's running out of stock on shells/bullets and he's been real happy with his sale of guns lately... both hand and long.
    My local gun shop has their used pistol case stuffed. People have been trading in their handguns for AR's AK etc. Interesting times indeed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My local gun shop has their used pistol case stuffed. People have been trading in their handguns for AR's AK etc. Interesting times indeed.

Probably want to get one before Obama gets elected and the Dems pass another ban, one that's broader and without a sunset clause. What part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" do these people not understand? I do believe America is the last place on the face of the Earth where free speech and the right to bear arms coexist. If we lose those rights here, were do we go?
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    it's full of nothing but CROOKS, liars and thieves
    Why don't ya tell us how you really feel?

I am expecting to see the crime rate go up around the country as the economy gets worse. We'll see but is surely something I am not going to be surprised to see.

Keep carrying and keep alert.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links