Economy Woes & Family

This is a discussion on Economy Woes & Family within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How many here fearing as the economy woes worsen, thus more personal crimes.... robbery, burglary, theft, break ins, etc. Personally, I do think about it. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Economy Woes & Family

Question Economy Woes & Family

How many here fearing as the economy woes worsen, thus more personal crimes.... robbery, burglary, theft, break ins, etc.

Personally, I do think about it. Not to turn this into a political thread, but we're obviously facing some tough times ahead. I think we've only just begun, and it likely could get much worse!

Then I start thinking just how desperate some people may become in order to have things, and wonder... just how much more aware I must be to keep what is mine safe!

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Total Truth spoken here. As people get more desperate, they will do whatever they must to maintain their quality of life. Sad, but true. I think about it all the time. Do what you must, but be prepared always to protect those that you love.
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    How many here fearing as the economy woes worsen, thus more personal crimes.... robbery, burglary, theft, break ins, etc.

Personally, I do think about it. Not to turn this into a political thread, but we're obviously facing some tough times ahead. I think we've only just begun, and it likely could get much worse!

Then I start thinking just how desperate some people may become in order to have things, and wonder... just how much more aware I must be to keep what is mine safe!

Thoughts?
    I have noticed that it seems to me there are more threads on DC about panhandlers who are too aggressive. May reflect what is happening.... Just a guess and an observation. YMMV.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I just see so many ANGRY people nowadays. Seems like so many are in jeopardy of losing everything, any little thing will set them off! In addition, those that are to the point of "survival mode," I just worry what is to come!

Certainly makes me even more aware when out in public not to even make eye contact anymore. Was in Seattle traffic today, stuck on 5, just happened to notice a car pull aside me, and guy makes eye contact with me and flips me the friendly wave, then gestures like he wants me to jump out and fight.
    Didn't cut in front of him, didn't do a thing. So many people seem to be at a boiling point.

If You want to be safe, stay out of the big cities and off the freeways at rush hour. When I was still working in Seattle I always took the back ways rather then the freeways at rush hour. I got home at the same time and had more options. If traffic got held up I could always reroute or stop at a restaurant. If you are stuck on the freeway you can't go anywhere.

I am heightening my sense of awareness, stepping up preparations and stockpiling, and reviewing security in the regular course, which now has a bit more urgency.

Please forgive me for launching into this tangent... I'm in Charlotte. We don't even have gas here. Thieves are drilling into people's gas tanks to steal the fuel. Someone I know was viciously attacked and robbed on the way to the bank. I am on higher alert than normal as this heretofore slow-motion train-wreck speeds up. I recently picked up an AR-15, some spare mags and ammo. Not that I expect I'll need it, but since we're probably going to elect a gun-grabbing cultural Marxist for president, I'd like to get it while I still can. I honestly foresee a jump in crime with the hard times.

I read an article about tough times and how to survive them, written by a guy who lived in some third-world country (wish I could remember the name and writer). I thought it was one of the better such articles I've read. He talks about dealing with having only intermittent power, water, and gas, and how for such conditions, a handgun will serve you better than a long-gun. Since it's not total war, you need something that can be concealed.

Lately, with the gas shortages, I'm beginning to feel like I'm living in such a place. More and more, we're beginning to look like a third-world country. I feel like we're progressing in that direction every day. We've got a major left-wing shift in progress, and It's hard to go out in public without feeling like you're in a foreign land as it is.

The middle class is dissolving because many of the jobs that require technical skills are either being off-shored or done by people who were imported to undercut more expensive native talent (for example, Bill Gates crying to the Govt. for more H1B visas). On the other end of the spectrum, people who work with their hands have also had their manufacturing jobs off-shored, and again, low-paid workers have come in to undercut native workers. And the much touted "service economy"... high-speed communications have allowed for the off-shoring of those support-related jobs too.

We're going to end up like some corrupt, old-world-type country, where there's no socio-economic upward-mobility, a huge underclass, and a small elite, made up of people who got in before the oligarchy slammed the door shut behind them.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

My wife and I began talking last week about making some preparations and taking some precautions that we'd not considered before. And, no, I don't think doing so is overreacting at this time.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by The Arverni View Post

I read an article about tough times and how to survive them, written by a guy who lived in some third-world country (wish I could remember the name and writer). I thought it was one of the better such articles I've read. He talks about dealing with having only intermittent power, water, and gas, and how for such conditions, a handgun will serve you better than a long-gun. Since it's not total war, you need something that can be concealed.
    Try this one - a must read for all!

Frugal's Forums: Thoughts on Urban Survival.

If you have to register and join to read this, it is worth it! Excellent explanations, great ideas, and rather sobering.

As the economy goes south, crime goes up. That is a given, and has nothing to do with politics.

I will take whatever measures I need in order to protect my family and my belongings, and work with the mrs. to increase her awareness of her surrounds as well.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one, as my wife thinks I'm taking this way too seriously. I would not be surprised if things go south far more quickly than optimists expect.

I fear the same as you mention - about feeling we're becoming a 3rd world country, people lining up just for food and shelter, etc. etc.

I've been seriously thinking of stockpiling a few "survival" things, such as water, canned goods, etc. etc. Probably should have a few days suvival kit anyway. But now, my thoughts also turn to ammo, extra firearms, etc. - BEFORE any chance of not being able to get them! Am I crazy for thinking of stocking up? I'm not talking about anything rediculous, but I have been thinking of keeping a little extra stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Try this one - a must read for all!

Frugal's Forums: Thoughts on Urban Survival. COMPLETE !! A MUST READ FOR ALL SQUIRRELS!!!

If you have to register and join to read this, it is worth it! Excellent explanations, great ideas, and rather sobering.
    Thanks friend. This is the EXACT article I was trying to remember.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Besides my normal preparation of ammo, food, and barter goods, I'm buying depressed stock.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post

Thoughts?
    You seem to be thinking ahead of the game. I'm with you, and so are a lot of others. Get worse? Not likely....but imminently. Be prepared.

Administrator
    I'm of the thinking that 75% of the problem is election year hype, but I do recognize the distinct possibility of a meltdown...but what do you expect when you build your house out of cards.

Yes, if the markets completely tank, crime will rise especially in the transition period. Even our poor are spoiled, and will do stupid things for their designer clothes, cell phones and video games. They do it now, just wait until they can't get their bags of chips and beer. Speaking of beer, substance abuse will rise a great deal as well, and we all know that crime and addictions go hand in hand.

I hope I don't regret posting this, but part of me hopes it does happen. No, I don't wish for people to lose jobs etc, but I do think it might be needed to wash out the dead weight of society, politics and maybe open up the eyes of the people. Maybe a few hunger pangs will get peoples faces unglued from the idiot box and pay attention to world around them. I think it would also pave the road for a third party to really hold some power.
    There will be a price to pay though, as we are finally learning the lesson that nothing is free, and one way or another, the piper always get his.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links