UK: Gun = Bad, Knives=Bad...now Walking Sticks=Bad!

This is a discussion on UK: Gun = Bad, Knives=Bad...now Walking Sticks=Bad! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police confiscate walking stick from retired teacher, 78, because it is an 'offensive weapon' | Mail Online They must have known he was a troublemaker ...

Thread: UK: Gun = Bad, Knives=Bad...now Walking Sticks=Bad!

UK: Gun = Bad, Knives=Bad...now Walking Sticks=Bad!

Police confiscate walking stick from retired teacher, 78, because it is an 'offensive weapon' | Mail Online

They must have known he was a troublemaker the moment they saw him.

With his white hair, wax jacket and glasses, 78-year-old Philip Clarkson Webb clearly ticked all the boxes any eagle-eyed policemen would mark as 'danger'.

And as he shuffled along the pavement towards them there was one thing above all they deemed to pose a threat - his walking stick.

The officers surrounded the retired classics teacher and informed him the 3ft wooden cane was an 'offensive weapon' and had to be confiscated.

Mr Clarkson Webb duly handed it over, but the farce did not end there.

When he later went to collect it from his local police station in Southborough, Kent, with his police receipt, he was told it had been misplaced.

It took a string of phone calls for Kent Police to finally admit they had lost it and to offer to buy him a brand new one.

Mr Clarkson Webb was caught up by overzealous policing at a climate camp environmental demonstration in Kingsnorth last month.

He was not one of the activists at the climate camp but merely paid a visit to attend a seminar on trade energy quotas.

The police stopped him and confiscated his walking stick as he approached the site where dozens of policemen, some in riot gear, where stationed.
    In the UK, learn martial arts...get your arms and legs chopped off.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

wow... just wow...

this our strongest ally
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

1943 - 2009
    More proof that Brits are subjects of the Crown, not citizens.

But the Royals blissfully muddle along, protected by armed bodyguards.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    More proof that Brits are subjects of the Crown, not citizens.

But the Royals blissfully muddle along, protected by armed bodyguards.
    funny...many in our govt feel this is the proper way of doing this. A man who will remain nameless is surrounded by secret service but doesn't think citizens should defend themselves.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Wait YODA carried a walking stick and he was one BAD DUDE!!!!!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I need a cane to walk if they took it I wouldn't be able to walk very far without losing my balance and falling.Their stupidity knows no bounds,sad thing is we got cops in the US feel the same way ,that only cops should be able to carry guns and that even a walking stick or cane if it could be used as a weapon should be banned
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Wait YODA carried a walking stick and he was one BAD DUDE!!!!!
    UK cops probably watched star wars before "disarming" the 70+ year old man.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

we had an old man in Seattle who was attacked by muggers and defended himself with his cane and drove them off, His aluminum cane was bent but not broke but he still had to replace it. The police did not confiscate it, nor was he charged.

VIP Member
    Ridiculous isn't it?

(I posted this yesterday.........post #6)

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ats-death.html
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

EW3
    Nothing from there surprises me any more.

The inmates truly are running the asylum that used to be the UK.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

VIP Member
    While we are picking on the British....here is another goofy story from over there:

Brits urged to leave sheds open for thieves!

Brits urged to leave sheds open for thieves!

London, October 1: Bristol City Council is urging people to leave their sheds open because padlocks could lead to thieves forcing their way through doors and windows of the council-owned sheds to steal garden equipment.

The council said that its new initiative could save taxpayers' money because fewer sheds would have to be repaired or replaced.

"Don't padlock your shed; it can save the shed being damaged if someone does try to get into it. If there is a break-in, always inform the police," the Telegraph quoted its guide as reading.

The advice has not gone down well with a gardener at Bifield Allotments, in the Stockwood area of the city, whose shed was broken into a few weeks ago.

Terry Nichols, 71, a retired engineering consultant, who has rented a plot at the site for more than 25 years, said: "It beggars belief that the council is telling us to leave our sheds wide open so that anyone can get in them. Everyone who has an allotment has been sent a letter. I have never read anything so ridiculous in all my life. I doubt the council would pay up if the sheds were burgled while they were left unlocked."

A spokesman said: "Where sheds have been repeatedly broken into, our advice, and it is only advice, is not to padlock them as forced entry often results in the doors being jemmied off. The city council takes security at the site seriously and this year has improved fencing."

He admitted that leaving the sheds unlocked could leave expensive equipment uninsured.

He said: "It would be a matter for discussion between the allotment-holder and their insurance company which would be able to advise them on the conditions of their policy."

The council policy contradicted that of Avon and Somerset Police, whose advice is to "secure your shed with good-quality hasps and hinges attached with coach bolts and security screws, use good-quality padlocks and a battery-powered shed alarm."
    Last edited by goawayfarm; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Holy crap, take the walking stick from an old man because it is an "offensive weapon", so is their assertion that this man would do any harm with it.

I'm glad we left England so many years ago and then went further to become our own nation. Although, we may very well be falling in right behind them in the near future.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Links