Ike evacuees complain of violence at shelter

This is a discussion on Ike evacuees complain of violence at shelter within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Emergency management? Ike evacuees complain of violence at shelter - Yahoo! News...

typical

isn't that just human nature? if you put a bunch of monkeys into a cage filled with crap, don't be surprised when they throw it at you. i'm betting they also made sure to disarm all the evacuees.

VIP Member
    Why people expect more is beyond me. It has been shown for years that you cram too many unhappy people into a tight foreign space and bad stuff happens. Make your own plans if you don't want to get stuck with whatever the government can come up with for you.

As for the gripes about the pepper spray and tasers... what did they want the officers to do? Don't crowd around to watch people fighting and you won't get hit with the spray. Tasers on a mentally ill 15-17 year old? Entirely plausible. I am familiar with bipolar. Yes it is a mental illness, but that doesn't mean the officers should not be able to use force against that person. They can be very violent people and, while being restrained should not be treated differently than a non-ill person.

It's very simple... don't trust the government to keep you safe or make appropriate accommodations. Do it yourself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

That was in my neck of the woods. They opened up an old Walmart and converted to to use as a shelter, it was manned by volunteers.

The violence was between the evacuees, and understandable that tempers were short. We had a lot of complaints from Gustav evacuees also. Seems like you can't make everyone happy when they are being given aid.

VIP Member
    Don't get me started ! I know more about shelter evacuees than I care to know.

I think the media and the evacuees are forgetting the definition of "shelters". I'll bet if you put some of the evacuees in a 5-star hotel they'd gripe because the room service was too slow.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'll bet if you put some of the evacuees in a 5-star hotel they'd gripe because the room service was too slow.
    That is exactly what happened after Katrina. A huge number of "evacuees" were placed in very nice hotels in my area. They promptly began to complain that the hotels were not doing enough for them, to include the fact that they were actually expected to pay for their in-room Pay-Per-View movies! Can you imagine...?

A large number of "evacuees" were housed on a luxury cruise ship. They nearly destroyed it.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I hate to say it but the people evacuated by buses to these shelters,are usually the same ones living off welfare and feel a sense of entitlement.Instead of being grateful for being placed in a safer environment and trying to get along for a few days til they can go back they seem to think they should be fed steak and lobster and waited on hand and foot.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I hate to say it but the people evacuated by buses to these shelters,are usually the same ones living off welfare and feel a sense of entitlement.Instead of being grateful for being placed in a safer environment and trying to get along for a few days til they can go back they seem to think they should be fed steak and lobster and waited on hand and foot.
    It's my opinion, based on statements actually made by evacuees, some number of them road the bus to north louisiana more for the opportunity of obtaining FEMA checks/trailers/perks etc. As I understand it there were no checks, trailers, or perks given out.

On the plus side:
    They got free bus transportation to and from home.
    Free shelter out of harm's way.
    Cot & blanket
    MRE and bottled water upon arrival (cafeteria meals 3X/day thereafter)
    Medical clinic on site
    Freedom to come and go at the shelter
    Heavy protective security on site 24/7
    Administrative staff 24/7

On the negative side:
    Not much privacy
    Some toilets inside the shelter, port-o-johns outside
    Operable showers were delayed due to weather/vendor
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    It's very simple... don't trust the government to keep you safe or make appropriate accommodations. Do it yourself.
    Exactly so.

Free-market back scratcher: a back scratcher.

Government back scratcher: a back scratcher plus a free proctology exam kit ... at twice the price.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Only 3,000 people, desperate, in one place...wouldn' you expect trouble?
    Guess what's going to happen if a SHTF scenario hits your area...only there could be hundreds of thousands or millions of desperate people causing concerns...
    No surprises here...

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And they wonder why some folks would rather hunker down weather out the hurricane
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Links