Movie: An American Carol

This is a discussion on Movie: An American Carol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Perhaps this thread does belong in one of the main forums, but I'll start it here and see what happens. I just got back from ...

Thread: Movie: An American Carol

Perhaps this thread does belong in one of the main forums, but I'll start it here and see what happens. I just got back from seeing An American Carol. I took my wife, son, and daughter, (9 & 8 yrs old). It was just awesome. I was surprised to find a packed theater, 20 minutes before showtime. We had to sit in the 2nd row; a few minutes later, a couple came and sat in the front row at first, but then moved to the two empty seats next to me. I joked about how the 2nd row might be slightly less annoying than the front row, and the lady said, "yeah, but you know what? I'm glad to see that this theater is full".

Do you ever get that feeling of comfort when you are among strangers, but you all have something in common? In this case it was our love for America, patriotism, perhaps conservatism, and even a little satire. Since the only place that I heard this movie advertised was on XM channel 166--America Right, I assumed that this was my crowd.

If you're not familiar with the movie, it's similar to the great oldie A Christmas Carol, but in this one, an arrogant filmmaker who resembles Michael Moore gets visited by a few spirits from American history who try to help him see what a numbnut he has been. I thought the movie was very well done: it was funny, there was some questionable language (PG13 I think), but it had a good message. My kids have surely heard worse language, and we have discussed life enough for them to understand most of what was going on. There are some huge stars in the movie, and these stars will get my dollars in the future because of it. To mention a few: Kelsey Grammer, Trace Adkins, James Woods, Dennis Hopper, Jon Voight, Leslie Nielsen, and David Alan Grier.

I highly recommend this movie. There is a short but prominent pro-gun message in the movie as well. If you see it and don't like it, please PM me to tell me why. If your kids are at least as old as mine, and a dozen instances of the two most common foul words don't bother you, then they'll be fine.

I'm glad it is good and glad the theater was packed. I am going to catch it this weekend. I guess it was the opposite of Bill Maher's "Religulous" comic documentary that just came out as well.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    You sold me. In the last decade I think I've seen only two theatre movies (Cars and Indiana Jones)... but I'll be taking the wife to this!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I saw it last night...it is slap stick. A few funny parts...and the sarcasism clear. But trying to tie an important message with the slap stick was lost...does one go for the patriotism or the comedy? I don't consider that message funny.

Rick

I'll pay to watch anyone SLAP Michael Moore.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd PAY to slap Moore!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    And that is what you will get..he was slapped at least 15 times...

Rick

Administrator
    Everybody that I happen to like is saying that it is a MUST SEE type of film.
    We'll probably go sometime next weekend.

We're catching the 6:40 show tonight in Hooksett, NH. It's 3pm now and I'm off to buy tickets early. Should be packed house.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I'd PAY to slap Moore!
    Pay to slap him? I'd pay to take him to the harbor and put a boot up his ... and send him on his way.

Darn it all, now I have to go burn money at a movie theater.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have heard nothing but good things about this movie from everyone I know except one person. And that person happens to be a FLAMING LIB. She just thought the movie was horrible. But, in the same breath, she remarked how much she admires Michael Moore. So, take that for what it is worth. Basically, she's an idiot.

We will be going to see this movie next weekend after the crowd has died down a little.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Why is it funny when libs mock conservatives but not when conservatives ridicule libs?

I will be interested to see how well this does at the box office. Could be a real slap in the face to the established liberal Hollywood elite.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I was a little mad at that film this weekend...

actually at the theatres here in town. It is showing in Minot a hundred miles away and I had to work tonight. So I had to "settle" for Apaloosa...pretty good western for a new western. Wasn't dark or brooding like Unforgiven. But anyway I hope they have American Carol down here next weekend. I've already called one of the Theatres here in town to request it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Saw it tonight...it was worth every cent I spent to see it.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Why is it funny when libs mock conservatives but not when conservatives ridicule libs?
    Because we have a sense of humor and the libs don't? Because there's nothing funny about the average liberal agenda? Because maturity dictates that one must be able to laugh at one's self? Because the stereotype liberal is Michael Moore and there's nothing funny about Michael Moore?

Just some questions to think about.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Sponsored Links