MAP: Where are the DC Members

This is a discussion on MAP: Where are the DC Members within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have seen some threads asking where or which state members are located. These are great but the thread becomes to large to find neighbors. ...

Thread: MAP: Where are the DC Members

MAP: Where are the DC Members

I have seen some threads asking where or which state members are located. These are great but the thread becomes to large to find neighbors. On another forum (the one that I learned of this one) there is a map feature with map pins where we can join the map. The map feature is provided by frappr.com

The user can pan and zoom the map to "look" around and pick pins to see who is there.

Is this something that would be useful? There may be other tools, just throwing this out in case a Mod thinks it has merit.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

2. Remove Ads

I find on some boards where we tried this, it got attention for about a week and then fizzled out...

I don't mind, but many may not want to be 'pin-pointed' as to a location...just "Everyday USA"......unless you were just referring to numbers only.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It would be interesting, but I wouldn't want to be more precise than my Zip Code.

It would be real funny if I found out one of you guys lived next to me or something.

I'll tell you where I am, I live in Texas. Come find me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I'll tell you where I am, I live in Texas. Come find me.
    Hey, I got your picture from a previous thread. Don't be surprised if you see a "Have you seen this man" flier stapled to every telephone pole in Texas. Or maybe on milk cartons.

Besides, Chuck Norris called me and he is looking for you, too.

Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I think that the average,whatever that is, person will not want their precise location posted on the internet for the whole world to see. I am satisfied knowing that there are other DC folks within a few miles of my house and am OK with that.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

It's not tied to to your profile just the forum, at least the one on Steyrclub. I just put in my zip. you can put it in in various formats. Some have photos of themselves, others their guns, avatars, etc... There's a place for a quote too. I just checked you don't have to join to view the map at Steyr Club take a look.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Don't be surprised if you see a "Have you seen this man" flier stapled to every telephone pole in Texas. Or maybe on milk cartons.
    That would actually be funny, I bet the Sheriff's Lt. across the street might think so too.

And Chuck doesn't have to look for me, he knows where everyone in TX lives . Shhh, what was that noise behind me
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    I think that the average,whatever that is, person will not want their precise location posted on the internet for the whole world to see. I am satisfied knowing that there are other DC folks within a few miles of my house and am OK with that.
    There are? I think that's pretty cool! I know there are a couple within say twenty miles or so of me. I've traded with a lot of folks here also where shipping addresses played an important role. Would I compile a database of those individuals and their locations? No. I've seen the frappr maps as well. I'm on one from a vehicle forum, and as someone else had mentioned.....it's just a novelty for a while then it fizzles out. If you want to know basic details just check the search members link on the site. There you will find everything anyone else wants anyone to know about their general location.

I'm in NY. That narrows it down to about 1 in 20 million or so.

OK, so if you look at my location, it says Hudson Valley. So maybe 1 in 2.2 million.

I know I've said before on this forum that I'm in Ulster County. So that's now 1 in 200,000.

That's about as close as you'll get!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I haven't hiddent he fact that I am at work... So come find me!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I live in Raleigh NC, smack down in the nexus between Cary and Raleigh. I personally don't care, as I have seen my friends find out all the information just by looking at some information buried in an email. Got it right down to my address and phone number. Took them about 3 minutes. The information is out there, just need to knwo where to look.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Links