Summer's end

This is a discussion on Summer's end within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I used to love the hot days of summer - then school would call, yuck. Then I found out that the hunting seasons all started ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer's end

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I used to love the hot days of summer - then school would call, yuck. Then I found out that the hunting seasons all started in the fall - yea. Next, I had to work for a living and being outdoors was kinda miserable, dealing with the snow and ice. Finally I got old and can't stand the hot weather and always look forward to the fall season for relief from the heat and humidity - also the costs of heating/cooling drops like a rock. Just think when fall arrives, Christmas can't be far behind.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yep, Fall is just around the corner down here, too! The nights are down to 70'...can finally leave the windows open...no more A/C.
    Time for the longer shorts...

Stay armed...enjoy FL...stay safe!
    Yer talkin' crazy. We don't have fall down here. FL seasons can be described these three ways, and they all pretty much fall in the same time spans:

1. Summer/Not Summer
    2. Hurricane Season/Not Hurricane Season
    3. Not Tourist Season/Tourist Season

And unfortunately, Tourist Season is not a hunting season.

I've asked.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Yer talkin' crazy. We don't have fall down here. FL seasons can be described these three ways, and they all pretty much fall in the same time spans:

1. Summer/Not Summer

I've asked.

-JT
    Yep, we moved from Mobile Alabama 3 years ago and I will say this, Mobile has 2 seasons. Summer and Almost Summer.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

1. Summer/Not Summer

I've asked.

-JT
    I'm in South Texas and in October the population doubles due to "Winter Texans"but It's like he said not much weather change as far as temps
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I love autumn too. Here in the NY Catskills, it's vividly beautiful. Great crisp weather, great for walking, a day a the range, flying, and all sorts of outdoor stuff. The colors peak here around October 15th, then the leaves fall like rain with the first good storm, preparing us for winter.

I have the wood stove going already, and enjoy the cool nights in front of the fire.

Sorry if I wax poetic, but it's a great time of year. Until the fuel bills start to arrive, that is.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Actually Ramrod, I have read a few articles that suggest that we might just have a pretty rough winter this year. No sunspots for over 200 days now and that always correlates to lower temps and more severe winters.

Time will tell...
    I am with you on the rough winter ahead...The oaks are dropping nuts like it is going out of style. Normally I will only find a few around the trees this year I could fill up the truck bed several times over. It has happened like this only before rough winters in the past....bring it on!!

I love the cold mornings especially with my first cup of coffee and cigarette. I can't wait until next winter, and this one hasn't even started yet. I hate the heat and humidity summer time is my dormant time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I am with you on the rough winter ahead...The oaks are dropping nuts like it is going out of style ... bring it on!!
    Reminds me of the old film, The Halelujah Trail, with Oracle's prophesy about the hard winter approaching. "There! Now I see it!"
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I am with you on the rough winter ahead...The oaks are dropping nuts like it is going out of style. Normally I will only find a few around the trees this year I could fill up the truck bed several times over. It has happened like this only before rough winters in the past....bring it on!!

I love the cold mornings especially with my first cup of coffee and cigarette. I can't wait until next winter, and this one hasn't even started yet. I hate the heat and humidity summer time is my dormant time.
    I see we have a fellow crasher on here. I can tell from your avetar. Sorry back on topic.

Well,I live about 25 miles south of Dallas,Texas.Our trees either have green leaves or no leaves.Our winter is maybe january and february if that.I once lived in northwest missouri and I have to admit it was pretty there to see all the reds and yellows in the fall,but I got real tired of shoveling snow all winter.BTW anyone want to buy a snow shovel?sj

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I survive summers, I do not enjoy them. Fall is just a nice prelude to the real party, winter.

Of course if I lived someplace like Hawaii (80s, breezy), my opinion might change, as long as I could vacation in Wisconsin (family) or some other pinter wonderland.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Ahhh Fall is here! It means that the temperature will drop to the Mid 80's from the low 90's, our IDPA club will require to use cover garment again while shooting a COF. It also tell us we are about a month or so from the end of hurricane season and the beginning of property tax season.
    The highway's full of tourist that still do not know that the posted speed limit is a suggestion rather than the law down here and that the left lane is called the NASCAR Lane for a darn reason.

We are getting some showers... I think up north they are called major storms with flood watch. Lawn grows so fast you can actually hear it stretch 2 inches overnight. And with all that water you get to "enjoy" stepping barefoot over snails...UGH!

Bass fishing will start to get better as the water cools from its soup temperatures. Fishies will be hungry and easy prey.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Here in Phoenix, our wonderful season is just starting. Temps below 100, finally get the motorcycle out for OUR SEASON of riding! We're good now until the end of next May.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Yeah, summer's over, high temperatures have already started to dip down into the upper 80's to low 90s. Soon, I won't have to use my reflectorized windshield screen.

1. Summer/Not Summer

I've asked.

-JT
    I thought Snowbird season opened last weekend?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It's been around 70 during the day around my area(Bluemont, VA) and around 40 at night for the last two weeks or so. I went to a big end of summer bash 2 weekends ago. Cold and rainy, but plenty of fun in the mud was had by all. I'm going on a hike out in Augusta, VA area in two weeks as my acceptance of fall.

Anyone know where the seasons go from spring to fall, repeat, etc...? I think I need to move there.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links