Who keeps a 'shoot' box?

This is a discussion on Who keeps a 'shoot' box? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I just recently started keeping a 'shoot' box. My shoot box consists of all that ammo I've carried in the past that needs to ...

Thread: Who keeps a 'shoot' box?

Who keeps a 'shoot' box?

Well, I just recently started keeping a 'shoot' box. My shoot box consists of all that ammo I've carried in the past that needs to be shot at the first chance due to age or cycling. I'm not opening up the debate about shooting up carry ammo or deciding when it's time to quit carrying that ammo. Just that I had planned on today being a range day, but we got some real heavy early morning t-storms that sort of wiped those plans out. I have four-wheel drive and all, I just didn't want to deal with the mess and picking up wet brass from the grass. So, rather than tie up my loaded magazines with need to shoot ammo, I just started keeping a box of downloaded need to shoot ammo for the first opportunity and unloaded a couple mags full of 40S&W last night. I'd previously just head to the range with the mags and shoot them up, and tomorrow is normally my regularly scheduled day off from work, but I'm going in for some double time so I can get that HD shotgun before the end of the month hopefully, and do some needed auto repairs. Enough about me......who else keeps a dedicated box of 'must shoot ammo'?
    Last edited by Ram Rod; October 4th, 2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: context and sentence structure

2. Remove Ads

B52
    That's a good idea, I usually just throw the ammo in a Ziploc.

Goes in a pocket of my range bag, but I do the same thing.

Joe

VIP Member
    When I shoot my carry guns, the first rounds thru it are the ones IN IT. That way the carry ammo does get practiced with & I don't have to worry about 'old' ammo.

The only 'must shoot' ammo I have is a box for the rounds that get ejected when unloading. These I check for setback before shooting.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

That is a good idea. Right now I kind of just throw it in a pocket in the range bag when I think it's time to cycle through. But I think I'm going to dedicate something so I know what is getting old. I try to date all my box's of ammo and always shoot what is in my gun first.

I do. Actually I'm about to swap out my carry ammo and just toss it into a box until my next range day.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I shoot the first three rounds of each SD carry mag...then reload them with new rounds...thus, rounds ejected several times are used up.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    When I shoot my carry guns, the first rounds thru it are the ones IN IT. That way the carry ammo does get practiced with & I don't have to worry about 'old' ammo.

The only 'must shoot' ammo I have is a box for the rounds that get ejected when unloading. These I check for setback before shooting.
    Well, yeah....that used to be my case too. My schedule sort of dictates otherwise from time to time. Like I said...not wanting to tie up my magazines, even though I have plenty. I think you missed the point. Thanks all the same though.

I do.

I buy new carry ammo every 6 months and put the old stuff down range at my next range trip.

I thought I was the only one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I do.

I buy new carry ammo every 6 months and put the old stuff down range at my next range trip.

I thought I was the only one.
    I do that annually - first range trip of the new year (usually in spring) I burn off my carry ammo and refill with a new box.

VIP Member
    Good idea.
    I shoot when ever I want, so I haven't done that, just keep mental track of what needs shooting.

Links