Nicknames

This is a discussion on Nicknames within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I did, but I'm too old now to remember it....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nicknames

I did, but I'm too old now to remember it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Yeah.. Growing up, my friends called me "Pills".. Not for the reason you think though.. I have always been a larger person, and when I was younger, I kinda, so they said, resembled the Pillsberry Dough Boy.. Man.. Been a while since I have heard that name!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

I just got a new one a few months ago. When I joined the Air Force Reserve in May I picked a new career field and had to go to Tech School, which I'm getting ready to finish now. After I got to the new unit I was pretty anonymous at PT for the first day or two, being quiet by nature. Then we ran. I've been a runner for 12 years now, so I'm a bit faster than your average Airman. I started behind everyone else so I could stretch a bit more, then passed them all and lapped a few on the one mile loop. Since no one knew my name yet, I became Sergeant "Speedy" and it stuck.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I hung out (by chance) with a lot of buddies who shared my first name (hint: most common male name from 1961-1998). So we all had to go by something else, and mine was my last name, as it's also "first name"

VIP Member
    Got labeled Nutty Ned as a tactical call sign, so--- NN was used for a shorter form at times.

VIP Member
    Back in the old country I was known as The Lad and on this side of the pond I was known as Irish.

None growing up really, other than the normal shortening of my first name (Christopher).

I got Paco from a buddy of mine at work, neither of us know why but it just stuck. The real funny thing is I am not Hispanic. I love leaving that name at restaurants and watch people's faces when I walk up after being called.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Didn't have one growing up, but now... does Mom count??
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Most people call me by my last name or some variation of it.

I.E.: Shaw, Shawdog, etc. The ladies always like to call me Mikey instead of Mike for some reason.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My surname has been sort of a nickname for me. Actually, I prefer to have it used. I was about thirteen when that started.

Most of my Spanish-speaking acquaintances know me by the Spanish version of one of my given names... partially because it is difficult to pronounce for the non or new English speaker.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links