Have you ever wanted to do something but your spouse said no?

This is a discussion on Have you ever wanted to do something but your spouse said no? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The problem is to many people are wipped bythe mrs. If the mods will excuse this quote from my great -great uncle Benny. One type ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever wanted to do something but your spouse said no?

The problem is to many people are wipped bythe mrs. If the mods will excuse this quote from my great -great uncle Benny. One type of female hair is stronger than 10 oxen. 10 oxen can be pulling you one way and a female is telling you to go the other way .Female normally wins.

A customer once gave me a good quote" It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission"

2. Remove Ads

my lady says no to just about everything i want to do.

so i don't tell her anymore.

Depends. When I wanted to start reloading she said please don't. We don't have the room and if you screw up you'll lose a hand.
    Other than that...not really. We discuss the big things and make a team decision.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I have a brand new Harley Road King in the garage that my wife would not have agreed to if I asked her concurrence, yet she enjoys riding it now more than I could have imagined.

I guess I'm one of the real lucky ones.

My wife of 34 years is not only my wife but my soul mate. My best friend.

I want her to be happy. She wants me to be happy.

If either of us wants to buy something or wants to do something, we will work it out together to get to that goal.

When I wanted to get my private pilot license, we worked to make it happen.

She was into wood working. We worked together to arrange classes and machine useage.

If she REALLY didn't want me to do something, I guess I wouldn't but it hasn't happened yet; except she did say NO years ago when I asked if I could bring Joey Heatherton home with me - - but I was just kidding on that one anyway . . . . mostly!!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Wife didn't like guns, motorcycles, flying, and horses.

She's now an ex...... and I have guns, 2 motorcycles, fly a lot and although I've been able to ride, now looking for a set-up to keep the horse.

I was dating one woman who said "But I don't like motorcycles and horses". My response was "SO ?? ". I quit dating her. She thought I should not be around them because she didn't care about them. I can have things that my significant other doesn't care for, and that should not be a problem nor an issue. We don't have to like all the same things. But, when they feel they have the power to stop you from enjoying them.... whole new issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Almost nightly.

+1

My wife was totally against the idea of me buying any firearms. (Might have been the .22 I took in the arm but that's a different story) so after we got married, I got my C&R license, bought a M44 and she forbade me from buying ammo for it. Well, 8 years and 3 kids later, I bought ammo for it AND I bought a XD45 Service AND I got my CCW permit. She was livid because I didn't tell her. (like she'd say "Yes! Please do!) . I think she was more upset about the money to tell you the truth. I explained to her that I did it for our kids and her. I'm responsible for their safety and won't hesitate to take someone down who tries to hurt/kill them.

Just the other day, she asked me if I carry my gun with me all the time now that I have my permit. I simply replied, "Everyday." I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck and she's never noticed it on me. I even have it on when I wrestle with my kids and they don't know it.

That's the most significant thing she's said no to but I got it anyway.

Everything else she's said no to I just say 'ok'

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    my lady says no to just about everything i want to do.

so i don't tell her anymore.
    Been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    +1

My wife was totally against the idea of me buying any firearms. (Might have been the .22 I took in the arm but that's a different story) so after we got married, I got my C&R license, bought a M44 and she forbade me from buying ammo for it. Well, 8 years and 3 kids later, I bought ammo for it AND I bought a XD45 Service AND I got my CCW permit. She was livid because I didn't tell her. (like she'd say "Yes! Please do!) . I think she was more upset about the money to tell you the truth. I explained to her that I did it for our kids and her. I'm responsible for their safety and won't hesitate to take someone down who tries to hurt/kill them.

Just the other day, she asked me if I carry my gun with me all the time now that I have my permit. I simply replied, "Everyday." I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck and she's never noticed it on me. I even have it on when I wrestle with my kids and they don't know it.

That's the most significant thing she's said no to but I got it anyway.

Everything else she's said no to I just say 'ok'
    You had a gun for 8 years and had no ammo for it and never shot it? Why have it?

When it comes to relationships: guns, friends, and motorcycles are the three things I do not compromise on.

But on the other hand, it is only fair that I would let my girl also have what she wants.

Guns, I would think everyone here can understand that one.

Friends, I had a girlfriend once that told me I couldn't hang out with my friends b/c she didn't have any friends to hang out with. I went with it for a while(dumb me). One of my friends that was like a brother to me before I got in that relationship got cancer and died at age 22. I think all the time about the times I missed out with him. Never again will I give up my friends for a woman. I am lucky enough to have a few really good friends that would do anything for me, and me them.

Motorcycles: Well even though I ride to work a lot now b/c of gas saving reasons, when I am out riding for myself it is like my personal sanctuary. You have to concentrate on the road and everything else melts away and my mind clears, if only for a little while.

Wow that turned out to be a long post.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I get a choice.....?

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    You had a gun for 8 years and had no ammo for it and never shot it? Why have it?
    Sad but true.

She said I could use the fold out bayonet.

I guess I was getting her used to the whole firearms for defense idea. But yes, 8 years is too long. I should have put my foot down back then but just getting married I wanted to keep her happy.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Basic rule for a married man: You are never more than one step away from the doghouse, no matter how wonderful you have been, the first screwup and back you go. Accept it, make sure your doghouse is comfy.

VIP Member
    Big stuff? No. We trust each other and know we have each other's best interests at heart. He doesn't go out to buy a boat without my permission, and I don't go out and buy myself an expensive piece of jewelry without his. Little stuff doesn't matter, we have a budget for that kind of stuff.

Financial happiness is just one part to keeping a happy marriage, and neither of us have the inclination to tamper with that. We're both responsible in that department, and we made sure of it before we made our vows. After all, there's no point in not knowing how the other person operates and then getting married and whining about it afterwards.

For non-monetary big things, it hasn't been an issue. He hasn't wanted to do anything big like skydive without a parachute, and I haven't wanted to play chicken with trains. Now that there's a little one on the way, we'd only do more to ensure we're reasonable in what we undertake. My husband's been carrying more regularly.

Now my brother, he took on the "ask for forgiveness instead of permission" policy in his marriage. That kind of disrespectful thinking breeds all kinds of corruption in the mind and marriage. In my brother, it grew to the point where he felt he had the right to do anything (and anyone) he wanted. He cheated on his wife and ran up the credit card bills. He now has no wife and is up to his eyeballs in debt. Oh, but he has cool toys. I suppose he can tell his little daughters that with a straight face while they get bounced around from relative to relative.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Have I ever wanted to do something and my wife said, NO?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I will have you know that I am the Captain of my own ship and I am the man who pilots my ship to its ultimate destiny!!!!

Of course, the wife happens to be the harbormaster(mistress). I can go anywhere I want and do anything I want...if I can just get out of the darned harbor!!!!!!

Actually, like sgtD, we both have veto powers. The really cool thing is that we also are both very willing to help make things happen for the other. Usually if we can work through schedule conflicts, she gets to do most that she wants and I do as well.

Of course, our kids are virtual anchors that can keep us from sailing the high seas sometimes, so sometimes we are forced to just take the skiff.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've said for a long time that the only thing worth my freedom is my soul and that's between me and G-d.

It seems like my friends and family get involved with controlling women; I ain't playin' that game.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links