Ideas for an ethics paper.

This is a discussion on Ideas for an ethics paper. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need a good topic for a 5 page ethics paper. I can usually get one right off the bat, but this one eludes me. ...

Thread: Ideas for an ethics paper.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar

I need a good topic for a 5 page ethics paper. I can usually get one right off the bat, but this one eludes me. I can't get something about "Is it ethical to deny people the right to self-protection, regardless if there are means in place to protect them?" out of my head. Not sure how well that one will go over though.

Thanks for your help people.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    How 'bout, "Is it ethical to promulgate laws regulating behavior when the ones whose behaviors you wish to change will not follow them?"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    How about make it an ethical paper on traps and pitfalls in picking and choosing constitutional rights...and pitting one against the other.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I need a good topic for a 5 page ethics paper. I can usually get one right off the bat, but this one eludes me. I can't get something about "Is it ethical to deny people the right to self-protection, regardless if there are means in place to protect them?" out of my head. Not sure how well that one will go over though.

Thanks for your help people.
    Another thread you started could be interesting. (16 year old in the Micky D's) Maybe the ethics of choosing to intervene in a situation versus the ethics of simply standing by. You could do a little digging and use this as a jumping off point for your discussion.

Both of these options pose an ethical dilemma for the participants and both can be argued to be the correct choice in almost any given situation. There is an abundance of published material to support both sides. I can assure you that if I were to be examining your paper, contrasting two opposing ethical dilemmas would win you points right off the bat.

What class are you writing this for?

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joemess View Post
    What class are you writing this for?
    Society and business ethics. I wanted contemporary issues in public safety, but it wasn't offered this semester:(.

Good ideas so far, those wheels are turning.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I wrote a paper for a business class where I interviewed 3 people about business ethics. I asked the questions: "Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma in your career?" "How did you handle it?" What was the outcome?" "Would you handle it differently now?" I interviewed a former manager, a current manager and a Vice President of the company I worked for. I was surprised by some of the responses I received.

I tied it all together with the fact that all the interview subjects had a personal code of ethics that served as a guidepost for them when making important decisions.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Bu..s..in..ess... eth...ics?

What you say?

Perhaps if you do want to incorporate handguns ect into a paper, write something about the policies enforced by alot of American businesses. Where it is legal to carry in the state, and given to you by the Constitution, yet the business bans weapons from their premises, caring more about lawsuits, or scared business partners than the security of their employees.

How this then effects employees who would want to carry? Why, when a business is attacked, people get increasingly weary/scared of guns, and institute policies like this, instead of arming themselves against the threat?

How about is it ethical for some politician, say Diane Feinstein, to receive 93,000 emails and letters, 85,000 saying to not vote for the bailout, and then voting for the bailout?

That seems like taxation without representation, to me, the reason for the whole war with England.

Sin of omission?

Bidniz ethics?!? I went from 25 years of buying cars, to selling cars in summer 05. Some big ethical questions came up. Two things let me sleep like a baby.

It's not my job to teach you how to buy a car.

I deserve to get paid for my work.

Will I lie to sell? NO.
    Will I show my hand and vomit out money? NO

So where does the ethical line fall?

How about this one.

Is it ethical to abdicate your personal responsibility for self and family protection to someone else?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links