Cure for the "yips"?

Cure for the "yips"?

This is a discussion on Cure for the "yips"? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Three and a half years ago, I had a moment of weakness, and bought a house built in 1956. The fifty year old trees shading ...

Thread: Cure for the "yips"?

Cure for the "yips"?

Three and a half years ago, I had a moment of weakness, and bought a house built in 1956. The fifty year old trees shading it were a big selling point. Till the first Fall. When softball sized hedge apples drop 30 feet to the roof. Sounds like someone kicking in the door. The first time I ran through the house with an 870, a Streamlight, and two excited dogs, was an adrenilin rush. Two or three apples later, when it bounced a couple times, and I saw it hit the ground outside the atrium, I mellowed out. But three years later, when one hits the roof at 11 pm, I still dang near toss the laptop across the room. And the dogs are just as excited as the first time. Should I just load the 10/22 with CCI Stingers, and blast them off the limbs?

I have memories of hedge apples from Kansas.
    Should I just load the 10/22 with CCI Stingers, and blast them off the limbs?
    Just fire up the chainsaw and take care of that tree!

Should you decide to cut the tree down, find a Bow maker before cutting. Osage-orange is good Bow wood, The bow maker would prefer the wood green, fresh cut. If you could safely shoot the hedge apples without endangering the neighbors I say go for it. Why not use the shotgun.

+1 on birdshot, if you have a clear backstop.

Or pick up the Golf Ball Gun I'm selling, put a hand-full of gravel in it, and take out a dozen apples at once...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Humph.....and I thought you needed help with your putting.

I'm with RamRod and Raven on this, cut 'er down. That'll give ya plenty of wood for next winter.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I vote for the 'chainsaw solution'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Talking Can you say "Cash Crop"?

Those things sell at flea markets, and grocery stores, don't know if it is true or not but they are suppose to keep spiders at bay, and are used a lot in fall decorations. So gather them up, sell them, and use the money to buy more ammo and guns!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Now I really don't like to cut down trees but if it is a hazzard to house and people that would be the safest aproach. If not really a hazzard it could be good shotgun fun. The .22 might be problamatic because a miss could travel a long ways. You are responsible for every rounnd fired. As I said before osage orange wood is valuable, and could be sold. It would be a waste to just burn it up.

I'd bet half the firewood around here is hedge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Those things sell at flea markets, and grocery stores, don't know if it is true or not but they are suppose to keep spiders at bay, and are used a lot in fall decorations. So gather them up, sell them, and use the money to buy more ammo and guns!!
    Kansas is known for it's eccentric flea market finds.....I remember Kansas 'turd birds' made out of dried horse dookie. Any you all in Kansas know if those are still available? I'll have to ask my mom next time I call her. She lives in Park City BTW.

I don't know the layout or dynamic of your house, but perhaps some form of netting/tarp to catch these apples and direct them away from your roof?

I've seen things like this done before to protect historic houses. And the trees were historic too, so you couldnt cut those down.

I would shoot with a shotgun ,not a round that can travel long distances or if it ricochets off a branch strike an unintended target.As far as cutting down the tree if you can do it by yourself safely then that too is an option,if you gotta pay someone to do it that could cost you a "gun and a leg"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

we have one of those on campus... its fun to watch it bomb the students this time of year until they learn to NOT walk under the tree that will drop softballs on thier heads...

Growing up in Kansas, trees were darn near sacred. Darn scarce. Use the gun.

Shooting them is wishful thinking. I only mention Stingers because I remember the first time I shot a hedge apple with one and got that satisfying explosion. If the area was as rural as it was in 56, you could shoot, but the trees probably didn't clear the roof.

But, as always, pose a question, and get a lot of good help here. And I usually learn something new. Didn't know it was good Bow wood. And RR, if I'm out and about and see a Turd bird, I'll grab one for you.

Thanks to all,
    Tom

Links