How to Invest $1,000 in the Stock Market

This is a discussion on How to Invest $1,000 in the Stock Market within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If I had $1000.00 worth of stock with Enron, I would have $16.50 left of the original $1000. With WorldCom, I would have less than ...

Thread: How to Invest $1,000 in the Stock Market

How to Invest $1,000 in the Stock Market

If I had $1000.00 worth of stock with Enron, I would have $16.50 left of the original $1000.

With WorldCom, I would have less than $5.00 left.

With Delta Air Lines stock I would only have $49.00 left.

If I had purchased United Airlines, I would have nothing left.

If I had purchased WaMu I would probably owe someone money

But, if I had purchased $1000.00 worth of wine one year ago, drank all the wine, then turned in the bottles for the glass recycling for a refund I would have about $200.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

This is called the 401-(V)ino Plan
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

Oddly enough, I saw a news article yesterday on an investor that bought $100,000 in vintage champagne. He said it would appreciate better than anything on wall street right now.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

VIP Member
    There is much truth to what was posted. "Value" of everything we might own or not own is in constant flux, and unpredictable.

Who would have thought, a few years back, that copper would be the "new gold" and that ammo prices would double or triple; making ammo a good investment if you stocked up 5 years ago.

During the past 10 years, the stock market as a whole (the S&P index) has done miserably. It peaked in the late 1990s at around 1550, fell to around 750, peaked again to around 1550, and is now at around 1100 and headed who knows which way, but probably south.

Right now, if you have cash and guts, buying into the market might be a good thing. But buying fun stuff you use and get pleasure from might be the smarter move.

Our economy is at the mercy of outside forces until we develop alternative energy and energy sources for automotive use which are practical. Since we are not dealing with this crisis in an intelligent or aggressive manner, investing in wine at least has its own advantages.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Then again if you had invested $1000 in Google options in October of the last few years, you would have had $10,000 -$40,000 in November (depending on the year). Of course, this year is going to be a bit different, but seasonality is something to look at.

Attached Images
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; October 7th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member

Gambling, legal or otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Then again if you had invested $1000 in Google options in October of the last few years, you would have had $10,000 -$40,000 in November (depending on the year). Of course, this year is going to be a bit different, but seasonality is something to look at.
    It is all a gamble; options, stocks, real-estate, even holding dollars. The dollar value fluctuates against the Euro and other currencies.

Commodities, even gold, price fluctuates. There is a reason there are companies actively advertising on TV trying to sell gold--they don't have much faith in its future and know there is a bubble here.

Oil? Oil futures? A bunch of airlines just lost a bundle by locking themselves into futures contracts for their fuel supplies.

The perpetually unstable value of our currency, and much of everything else around us, makes long term financial planning a fool's game. So, buy that wine, preferably in a designer decanter, and hope that 75 years from now your great grand kid can sell it as an antique on the Antique Road Show. Or, invest in Mustangs like JD does.

Administrator
    Invest in land, beans and rice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If you invest that $1000 in a gun or ammo.........you would have a smile.........and that is priceless
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

During the last year, I have invested in ammo, thousands of rounds...their value has increased. I expect it could double in the next year or two...not a bad investment...OMO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

LOL! I think anything's better than Wall Street right now. Canned goods, bottled water, ammunition, wine, cheese, milk, etc..............

Links