Raising my neighborhood crime level from low to high - Page 2

Raising my neighborhood crime level from low to high

This is a discussion on Raising my neighborhood crime level from low to high within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm Oregon does NOT have Texas-style property laws that allow anything near the degree of lethal force to be used for "mere" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raising my neighborhood crime level from low to high

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Oregon does NOT have Texas-style property laws that allow anything near the degree of lethal force to be used for "mere" property crimes, except inside a person's dwelling.
    We have plenty of room for you all to move down here. But when you come to visit make sure you go to the front door, knock/ring bell, and back up so I can see you through the windows on the side of the door. Then we can have a beer and great discussion.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

This does get tricky. Many years ago a man had an abandoned house around here that teenagers like to use for partying. He had it posted all over and kept running them out but they would keep coming back. He finally rigged a shotgun to the door and wasn't lonng before it shot one of the kids. He was sued and lost.

If you know a crime is about to be committed and do not notify the police then you are an accomplice and can be charged as accessory before the fact. I agree it is the BG's fault and he deserves what he gets but be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    This does get tricky. Many years ago a man had an abandoned house around here that teenagers like to use for partying. He had it posted all over and kept running them out but they would keep coming back. He finally rigged a shotgun to the door and wasn't lonng before it shot one of the kids. He was sued and lost.

If you know a crime is about to be committed and do not notify the police then you are an accomplice and can be charged as accessory before the fact. I agree it is the BG's fault and he deserves what he gets but be careful.
    Boobytraps are NOT the same thing as knowing a crime is about to be committed and failing to notify the police.

First of all, just because somebody rings your doorbell does NOT mean a crime is about to be committed. It means somebody rang your doorbell.

Second, if you fail to answer your door, it does not mean a crime it about to be committed. It means you didn't answer your door.

A prudent person, however, might assuming an expected knock on the door could be the probe for the intended intrusion and take up a defensive position in the hopes of being wrong...

Let's face it. If every time somebody rang your doorbell you called the cops because you thought a crime might be committed, they you have you institutionalized.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links