i know there are some jeep lovers here!

This is a discussion on i know there are some jeep lovers here! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; that is why i came here first for opinions and help! the problem is with my fiances car, and the big problem is that she ...

Thread: i know there are some jeep lovers here!

i know there are some jeep lovers here!

that is why i came here first for opinions and help! the problem is with my fiances car, and the big problem is that she is in tempe getting her masters and i am in utah working. she has a 2004 jeep grand cherokee that has been running fine, she went outside to start the car and lo and behold it wont turn over. the starter is firing but the engine wont fully kick over. she says that if she gives it gas the engine will kick over but the second she takes her foot off it dies. any ideas?

she just barely called and said she tried to start in neutral and it did but as soon as she shifted to drive it died, she tried again in neutral and shifted to drive and it went just fine.

im really confused about the whole thing.....my first inclination was something fuel pump related but with the car starting in neutral and running after a bit i am starting to think maybe something computer/electrical? i know there are some jeep people on here! anyone have any ideas? also does anyone know of a good/honest mechanic that wont take advantage of a pretty girl in the tempe/scottsdale area? thanks so much!

yankeeman
    Last edited by yankeeman; October 7th, 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: gramar

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    OK... When parked facing down hill with a very low fuel level, mine would sometimes do the same thing. I'm no mechanic, so I cant offer much advice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

im not much of a mechanic either that why im here! she does have quarter tank i had her run through all the basic things i could think of and none of it seemed to help...

Lead Moderator
    Maybe a jeep specific forum might be more help. I worked automotive repair for 8 years , but Jeep specific I am not. If it starts but doesn't stay running , it could be lots of different things.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

i have posted on a jeep forum as well, my main reason for posting here is that everyone is friendly and quick to help, just hoping someone a little more experienced than myself had an idea or two. thanks again!

the best answer that i could come up with is that the iac and throttle body need to be cleaned out, anyone know how intensive this is?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
    the best answer that i could come up with is that the iac and throttle body need to be cleaned out, anyone know how intensive this is?
    I have no idea what the "IAC" is but cleaning the throttle body is a simple procedure.

Get the Haynes or Chilton's manual for your jeep ( Amazon.com: Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993 thru 2004: All Models (Haynes Repair Manual): John Haynes: Books ) and see the procedure for removing the throttle body.

Your problem could be caused by a ton of different things - lack of fuel pressure, clogged up injectors, an electronics problem, a security system problem, etc...

My Lexus will turn off immediately after start up if I don't use one of the two original factory keys. It's because of the chip in the key and the immobilizer system kicking in.

Is there an error light on the dash?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

From what i have found through much searching the "iac" is the idle air control valve, not sure what it does exactly but i know it has to do with controlling the airflow while the car is idling. Apparently they become plugged up with carbon somewhat commonly with the jeeps and it wont allow the car to idle(hence when she presses the gas it will start but as soon as she lets off the car dies).

There arent any lights showing up on the dash and ive read that this may not throw any codes either, so if we come to find no codes this will be my first guess, i just need to figure out how to clean it and the throttle body out. thanks Pete ill definitely have to look at that book and see what i can find.

could even be vapor lock in the fuel lines.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

It could be many things. The idle air control, the throttle possition sensor, crank case possition sensor or many, many other things. But if it will start in neutral and continue to run in neutral but not in drive, it could also be the sensor on the transmission gear selector, but since it seems to start with her foot on the gas but won't without it while in park, then it probably isn't that sensor.

There are so many things that it could be, you would be best to get it to a shop that has a diagnostic machine and let them read the codes so that they can fix what is wrong. You can spend a bunch of money guessing at what is wrong on a vehicle with all the electronics that it just isn't worth playing a guessing game.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

have you though about the TPS? my jeep had issues with that and although a stick had similar problems after start up. If the foot on the gas solution works I would look there first.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

go to Virtual Jeep Club - Powered by vBulletin and post in the GENERAL discussions. Ask for help from Ademster (thats his screenname) He is one of the best on the board.

Tell him that AZG23 sent you there and give as much detail as possible. Ill bet he would help you/her out...hes a great guy.
    Brad B.

Sounds similar to the problem I had when I clogged up my fuel filter in my jeep. Mine was a stick shift, but it would start fine with the clutch down, but giving it gas caused it to die. Fuel filter was allowing just enough gas to idol (start in neutral), but not enough to carry any load. An automatic probably needs to idol a little higher because there is a small load to get the transmission to "slip" like it does.

But I'm no mechanic.

Thank you to everyone here on the forum for helping me out, its been one of those weeks! Now i at least have a few ideas of what could possibly be going on and what we can possibly be looking at price wise if needs be. AZG23 im headed over right now, again thanks all!

good deal...make the post title "Need help Please : attn Ademster"

Then post the story...and take it from there..
    Brad B.

Links