should i make a resume ?

This is a discussion on should i make a resume ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ok, so i used to work to work at sams club, but recently quit, cuz that place sucks and they have no clue how to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i make a resume ?

should i make a resume ?

ok, so i used to work to work at sams club, but recently quit, cuz that place sucks and they have no clue how to treat employees. plus about two years ago i was in a bad car accident that took me out of school well past the time school ended. i ended up dropping out and getting a job. so now i quit my job, and am going back to school at home/online to get my high school diploma. i am looking for a weekend job as a waiter while i finish HS and go into college.

so after the story and a half, i pose my question to you: do i make up a resume to take with me ?

i feel stupid saying im 19 and haven't finished HS. like to say it to someone, and tell them the story, i don't feel bad, but i think it looks bad on paper, mostly because i cant say in the level of edu. "im still going" maybe this is another time im over thinking stuff, but i just dont like putting on paper that im a HS drop out. but i feel it looks better if i have one.

and second of all: know of a template that would be good for this sort of scenario ?

thanks much
    Mike
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    From what I have seen, if you walk in neat, prepared and courteous, you are ahead of 99% of the applicants out there. If you had a resume, I think that would add one more plus in your "I should hire this guy" column, regardless of the job you are applying for.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I'm a waiter in my second restaurant. School nor Sam's Club is going to help you get or maintain that job. The biggest on paper qualifier to getting hired onto a waitstaff is experience serving alcohol. Don't waste your time writing out your résumé.

If you are physically able, may I suggest that you get a G.E.D. and enlist? It may hinder your choices of enlistment, but they do accept G.E.D. My little cousin dropped out of high school and got his G.E.D. then enlisted in the Guard.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Mike,

I believe in your particular case, it's not the best of ideas. Since you are young, and have not had that many employment opportunities in life yet, there would be little to put down in a resume that a prospective employer would be interested in.

I would see if you can get the job without the resume, get some experience, get the G.E.D. or equivalent, and then have a basis for a resume. I also agree with Agave, that it might make sense to enlist. You can pick up a lot of experience in the service, and that would look good on a future resume.

Best of luck to you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

i was gonna do that and go to the navy, but because of the car accident that took me out of school, i also have a metal rod in my right thigh, and 3 bolts in my right knee, which means i would have to go in front of a review board and prove its not a hindrance, or something like that. and in the navy, GED acceptions are rare, and quite few and far between from what i understand, so its stacked against me. not a big fan of other branches (no offense)
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Another possibility Mike, is some sort of volunteer service, such as the Peace Corps, where room and board are provided. This is another way to gain experience, which would look great on a future resume.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Write a resume, don't listen to naysayers.

I had very little job experience in terms of technical support with computers/peripherals.

I wrote a resume that highlighted my experiences, my qualities and characteristics that would be good for a job. I catered my resume to this job specifically.

There are several types of resumes. Some, are more inclined to look at your strengths, instead of your experience.

It is harder without an education to get into a job, but a good resume gets your foot in the door, and your personality gets you the job.

It worked for me.

Google 'resume templates' and read the information given on alot of those websites. They do have templates, explain the different ways of doing a resume. Explain the best types of words to use to get someone motivated while reading ect.

Get a job that sustains your life. And with that job, pay bills and essentials, while looking for the job you WANT at the same time.

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    At your age, I would highly consider taking the hit and going back to school. Your high school will let you back in. When I was a senior in high school, we had 2 guys that came back to school to finish after being away for a while. One was 22, he failed english his senior year but was already enlisted in the army. He did his service and went back. The other guy was 36 and had kids. Both of them graduated.

I'm just of the opinion that a good education makes for a solid foundation. It's hard to find a good job without a diploma. Just ask my brother in law. Sure, you can start your own business and do well. But if you have to work for someone else, it's a mark against you not to have a diploma.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

thats the thing, i am currently enrolled in school, and going. the only thing is i need money... gas is expensive, thats why i was thinking of a weekend job as a waiter or something along those lines. i do plan on writing a resume for later on once im out of school and everything, i just wasn't sure if i should write one now as i look for a part time weekend job.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

If you need some fast money, if you have a lawn mower, weed-eater you got it made.

You can get a few lawns or rake up some leafs and make some gas money.

Just finish HS it's worth it, I graduated at 20, dropped out for a full year I was at the beach everyday body surfing, I'm glad I graduated.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    A resume arranged chronologically won't help: an entry for school with 'not
    finished' and that's about it. But a resume based on skills, ability, and
    character would be of help. For example:

Determination: After a major automobile accident prevented my
    graduation, I have since returned to my school and expect to graduate in

Don't forget volunteer work, chores, development of skills in the pursuit of
    a hobby. Tipping your hand about concealed carry might be a poor idea, however, though "target", "competetive" or "hunting" might be OK.

Look for the resume templates that a housewife might use as she re-enters
    the workforce after raising kids.

Paymeister had a great tip. But first off, good on ya for going back. Like many have stated that if you are clean cut and present yourself well you are already ahead of the rest of the bunch.

One thing you may want to consider is temp work, there are agencies out there with a wide range of jobs to find that will fit what you want to do.

Good luck and hang in there.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Administrator
    A resume is something everybody of working age should always have on hand; you never know when you are going to need one. Yes, you might not need it to land a waiter job, but it certainly won't hurt you. As the economy gets tougher and tougher, every little bit is going to be needed to set you apart from the rest of the herd.
    Just make sure it is written to highlight your achievements and not your shortfalls. As an employer, I don't give a hoot about what your going to do, I want to know what you have done.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you do end up doing a resume and you include your educational history, then you can put down:

Education.....Name of high school.....to be conferred in June 09
    GPA X.X

This implies you are working toward graduating. Also, go for a diploma, not a GED.

Paymeister: thanks for the tips, great help. and i dont have to worry about tipping that hat. im 19, so the state wont let me wear that hat (or badge lol) yet.

i love this place, everyone is nice and helpful. thanks a lot everyone.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links