King Tut exhibit at Dallas Museum of Art - CCW's OK!

King Tut exhibit at Dallas Museum of Art - CCW's OK!

This is a discussion on King Tut exhibit at Dallas Museum of Art - CCW's OK! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you may know, but the King Tut exhibit is currently on display at the Dallas Museum of Art, and will be until May ...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

Talking King Tut exhibit at Dallas Museum of Art - CCW's OK!

Some of you may know, but the King Tut exhibit is currently on display at the Dallas Museum of Art, and will be until May 17th. It looks awesome, and I'm planning to go later this fall.

Info about the exhibit: http://dallasmuseumofart.org/Dallas_.../Tut/index.htm

I found out earlier in life that the Houston Museum of Art is very non-firearm friendly, and has prominently posted legalese on all its doors. Even though it was not 30.06 compliant language, the last time I was there, I decided I didn't feel like being hassled by the guards after driving for hours to get there, and left my gun in the car.

After that, I thought the Dallas MoA would probably have similar restrictions, and might even be 30.06 posted. So, I decided to email their public relations office and ask, so at least I would know what to expect.

Imagine my surprise when I got this response...

RE: Tutankhamun Exhibit Question - Licenced Carry of a Concealed Handgun‏
    Sent: Wed 10/08/08 10:50 AM
    To:

Dear Mr. *My Name*:

Again, we appreciate your writing to request clarification in advance of your visit to “Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs.” According to our Director of Security and Facilities, we cannot prohibit patrons from entering the museum, including the King Tut exhibition, if they have a Texas Concealed Handgun license. As you no doubt know, the Texas Concealed Handgun License (or CHL) authorizes the licensee to carry a concealed handgun on their person and that he/she cannot leave it in their car or check it.

Cordially,

Jill Bernstein

Director of Public Relations

Dallas Museum of Art

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE: Tutankhamun Exhibit Question - Licenced Carry of a Concealed Handgun‏
    Sent: Wed 10/08/08 9:47 AM
    To:

Mr. *My Name*: Thank you for writing. I will look into your query and get back to you as quickly as I can.

Cordially,

Jill Bernstein

Director of Public Relations

Dallas Museum of Art

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 7:49 PM
    To: MediaRelations
    Subject: Tutankhamun Exhibit Question - Licenced Carry of a Concealed Handgun

Dear Sirs,

I am planning to attend the Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs Exhibit this fall. I'm very excited to see this excellant display, but I have a question that I have not been able to get answered.

Does the Dallas Museum of Art prohibit patrons who possess a Texas Concealed Handgun Licence from lawfully carrying a firearm while viewing your exhibits?

As you may know, a Texas Concealed Handgun Licence (or CHL) authorizes the licencee to carry a concealed handgun in most public and private places in the state of Texas. Many ordinary Texans hold a CHL and lawfully carry their handguns routinely as they go about their daily business.

I look forward to hearing from you on this matter, and I hope you will agree that there will be no prohibition of lawfully armed visitors at your museum. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    *My Name*

Needless to say, I wrote her back a very polite email thanking her for her consideration and understanding, and assuring her that I would spread the word among CHL holders. Never mind that she's wrong about not being able to store a handgun in my car - I'm willing to let that little bit of incorrect information slide.

So, if you're going to be in the Dallas area and had misgivings about being forced to disarm to see this exhibit, please go! We need to encourage this type of thinking and show that we're just normal people who don't want to be victimized.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    Good job and good letters.

Wondering about this excerpt though, " if they have a Texas Concealed Handgun license". I live in Louisiana, I have a FLA permit, I would think I'd have reciprocity?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Good job and good letters.

Wondering about this excerpt though, " if they have a Texas Concealed Handgun license". I live in Louisiana, I have a FLA permit, I would think I'd have reciprocity?
    Your license affords you the same rights as a texas license while in our state
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links