SNAKE in my truck! HELP!!!

This is a discussion on SNAKE in my truck! HELP!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So my wife and I get in my truck after eating lunch yesterday, and she says: "There's a lizard or something in here". She says ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SNAKE in my truck! HELP!!!

SNAKE in my truck! HELP!!!

So my wife and I get in my truck after eating lunch yesterday, and she says: "There's a lizard or something in here". She says she saw something move when she looked down and grabbed her seatbelt. Of course I told her not to worry about it. About 5 minutes later she freaks out in her seat and says: "There is definitely something in here. It was right beside my seat. I think it's a snake!!!" Of course I tell her she in crazy, and it is probably a lizard or something. We get to the hardware store, and she gets out of the truck. I proceed to look under the seats and all over the place and find nothing. So the whole time we are in the hardware, I am making fun of her about the mysterious imaginary snake.

We leave the hardware store and I open her door. I look around her seat, and say: "There's nothing here, don't worry about it". She gets in. I then go around to my door and open it up. On the floorboard in front of my seat is about a 3' snake, and he is going ballistic!!!! I yell "SNAKE!!!! Get out of the truck", and my wife exits the vehicle rather quickly. Since I am in freak out mode, I just slam the door shut. About one second later I hear the words "I told you there was a snake in there!!!!". Ok. So she was right. Again.

I tell my wife to run back in the store and get some grill tongs or something. I don't have a big fear of snakes, but in all the excitement, I was not sure if it was one of the poisonous variety. Several people saw us freaking out and came over to help. We had 10 people around the truck with all the doors open trying to capture the snake. He showed himself twice, but we were still not able to identify what it was. He kept under the seats and center console. We tried for about 1.5 hours to get him with no success. We had not seen him in about 30 minutes and determined that he was held up in the coils of the seat somewhere. So, we had no choice but to get in the truck and drive home. We had about a 20 minute ride, and we were both freaked out to say the least! When we got home, I spent about another hour looking for him. I even tore the center console out of the truck. He is nowhere to be found.

We are pretty sure he is still in there. We only have one vehicle right now. I have big concerns about putting my daughter in the truck before I know he is gone. Oh yeah, the wife will not get back in the truck until I can prove he is gone! Does anybody know of anything that will drive a snake out? Anything I can spray or put in the truck? I am hoping to capture him today, but we were unsuccessful yesterday. I am thinking that if I can put something in the truck that he does not like, it will drive him out. Any ideas? I am going to call fish and wildlife today to see what they suggest.

I love wildlife, but this is ridiculous!!!
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

2. Remove Ads

Calling Fish and Wildlife sounds like a good plan.

It's a shot in the dark, but if you have any exotic pet stores around, maybe you could explain your situation to the owner and ask if you could rent a mongoose.

Okay, that probably isn't going to work out, so I think you're back to calling Fish and Wildlife.

Since the snake came out after you had left the truck for a while, maybe check the truck again this morning. I suggest looking in the floorboards with a flashlight before opening the truck doors. Once he feels vibrations, he may return to hiding.

Good luck. That's an unpleasant situation to be in.

Lead Moderator
    This isn't what you want to hear, but if he got in, he can get out.

I used to keep snakes and never found any "sprays" that would force them out. Only had one escape in the house, and never saw any trace of him again. (He was a young 12-14 inch Black Snake).

Depending on the the area where you usually park I'd just suggest making it easy for him to exit, for example leaving the windows down. You may never be able to prove to your wife he left...... But if he dies in there you'll know it sooner or later.

You could also try parking in the sun and see if you can catch him exposed sunning himself......
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

A can of hairspray and a butane lighter would do wonders for this situation. Can you say flame-thrower? Well, maybe not if you care for your trucks interior. So what kind of snake was it?

VIP Member
    Good luck and be careful. I would think that a resident snake in a vehicle can be a GIANT distraction to the driver. It would be for me.

Some electricians/plumbers have a slender "snake like"camera device (actually I have one) that allows them to look inside walls etc. Maybe you could borrow one of those to look in the hard-to-see areas of your truck?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    That's certainly an un-nerving situation and a tough problem to deal with. I like rstickle's suggestions.

The problem is if the snake is gone, and you don't see it go, you always wonder.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

just put a sign on the window saying theres a snake loose in the truck. its better than an alarm system . nobodys going to steal the truck.

get a bug fogger or two. set them off, throw 'em in the truck, and wait.

I sense an opportunity here. I bet your wife would be in favor of trading the truck in for another one. Thats a situation that might work in your favor.

Sell the truck!

I don't do snakes!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have seen in rattlesnake round ups in Texas where they use a bug sprayer fill will gas to drive snake out of dwellings under rocks and ledges. Of course the down size is the smell and the possibility of an explosion (new truck for sure).
    Maybe picking up a live mouse from a pet store and placing him in a small wire cage on your floor board.........its a shot in the dark......hmmm maybe I need more coffee.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

There are sticky pads to capture snakes and mice. My neighbor cought a snake with one of them sticky pads, Put some peanut butter and put them underneath the seats and the floor boards.

I'm sure you will capture him.

Make sure you put the peanut butter in the middle of the pad, once the snake is stuck to the pad he can't get out of it.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Administrator
    Most critters hate mothballs. I'd buy a few boxes and dump them out all over the truck.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I vote for sell the truck, since if it was mine it would be riddled with holes from the snake repellant that I would have been using.

Some of the other suggestions, the mouse, the moth balls, sticky paper, might work, I am not an expert at anything other than destroying them when seen. Being that your in Florida, I am assuming it isn't really really cold yet at night. If you were in a cold climate, I would suggest putting a heat source someplace in the open, ie front part of the floorboard to draw the reptile towards the warmth in the cold of the night.

And yea, if it dies in the truck your going to want a new one after that happens.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Most critters hate mothballs. I'd buy a few boxes and dump them out all over the truck.
    + 1 on mothballs

They work I'm a NUISANCE WILDLIFE TRAPPER FOR FL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links