City worker blues?

This is a discussion on City worker blues? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hi Folks: I figured Iíd ask around on some of the forums I visit to see if anyone had a similar experience. And, who better ...

Thread: City worker blues?

City worker blues?

Hi Folks:

I figured Iíd ask around on some of the forums I visit to see if anyone had a similar experience. And, who better to ask than good gun folks.

I am contemplating a career move to a large public works utility (I already checked and they wonít let me carry on the job ). Previously I have only worked for very small companiesóright now, the company I work for is only four full-time workers, including me.

The public works utility is city owned and I have previously applied for a different position with the same city. I interviewed yesterday with the public works utility. In both my interviews with this city, in two separate departments, with two separate sets of interviewers, there was one common thread:

The supervisors in charge of the worker bees (for lack of a better description) acted as if they were at the mercy of the worker bees. One person made a comment that once employed for a year, there was nothing one could do to get fired. I was given to believe that all the supervisors were resigned to the fact that they could do nothing to improve the workerís productivity and they had to accept whatever level of production they got. When I asked, I was told that all of these workers had been with the city a long time and as such were entrenched. I was really surprised by this and the look on the faces of these supervisors, all professional people, told me every word was true. I mean I literally saw it in their faces, in their expressions.

It was the same way when I interview with this city several years back. I was offered the position back then and I turned it down because in essence, what I was being asked to do was supervise people who would refuse to do better, would refuse to work harder if I deemed they were not working hard enough already and would do so because they were entrenched and therefore un-firable. I admit, despite all of that, I have kicked myself several times for not taking the job because I would have been well on my way to a nice government pension instead of having absolutely zero after decades of working for small companies.

Now, I am at that age where I have one last shot at that cozy government pension (if our politicians donít completely ruin this country which they almost have).

The problem is, I am a very hard worker. And, in the private sector, I would not tolerate the above behavior for more than a month (in which time I would try to turn these people around). After a month, anyone slacking would be asked to leave to save face or fired if they refused; because youíre no good to me or the organization if your oar isnít in the water.

I am seriously considering the position, if offered to me, because I have for too long not been challenging myself. My motto has been for the last several years: I love a challenge, as long as itís easy and success is assured. I want to break that habit and test myself. But this looks to be an extremely uphill battle, an unwinable war, if you will. In essence, in the interview, I was told the position I was applying for would step in and take this burden off of the current supervisor so that he could concentrate on his real duties.

So, I came Ďround here to see if anyone had a similar experience. Are all government employees in these types of worker bee positions like this? All thinking they are untouchable? (Don't get me wrong, I consider myself a worker bee, too).

Has anyone had to deal with these types or supervise them and what have you done to turn them around, if anything?

My wife has several motivational cds from her job (a relatively large regional bank) and I am going to start listening to them again to see if I can get any pointers in case they do offer the position to me.

I want to take the job. And I would like to turn around these poor souls, as that would be something of an accomplishment.

Any insights or anecdotes would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

Your observations, unfortunately, are not that uncommon. I have worked as a Defense contractor for 20+ years and have been the victim of the complacency you speak of. Recently, I have taken a position in an organization where we contractors work(employed) along side the civil servant(servant in name only). If you enjot getting a sense of satisfaction from your work it may be long in coming. I found the text below last night (may have been on this forum) It rang so true of the place where I am employed that I had to share it with my colleagues that feel similiar as I.

It's your decision and only you know what you expect out of it.

Important New Scientific Breakthrough: Discovery of a new element -29 February 2008
    A major research institution has recently announced the discovery of the heaviest element yet known to science.

The new element has been named Governmentium (Gv)- it has one neutron, 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons, and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.

These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons.

Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert; however, it can be detected, because it impedes every action with which it comes into contact.

A minute amount of Governmentium can cause an action that would normally take less than a second to take over four days to complete.

Governmentium has a normal half-life of 4 years. It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places. In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each re-organization will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.

This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as critical morass. When catalyzed with money, Governmentium becomes Administratium - an element that radiates just as much energy as Governmentium since it has half as many peons but twice as many morons.

Gv will grow exponentially in the presence of the element Mo (money).
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Priceless.

I wish I could send that ahead me if I get/accept the position. May have to print it out and frame it for the office wall.

It will be tough making the move because I pretty much do everything here my way: set my own hours and days, if I wanna wear shorts I wear shorts; I could probably even work from home and save a lot on fuel. BUT, things are not looking so good work-wise here.

I need a change anyway.

Thanks, guy.

VIP Member
    It is very difficult to get someone in a civil service position fired, not impossible, but very difficult. The paperwork it involves is extensive. Everything must be properly documented with all the "i's" doted and all the "t's" crossed. The union will go so far as to argue over mis-spelled words and the use of common acronyms. That being said, in my dealings with CS personnel, during my 24 years in the military, the vast majority were hard workers. Like everything else it is the small minority that get the notice.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

(1) shovel (4) workers

I agree with Archer, if the people in charge do thier jobs properly there is no reason they have to put up with crappy employees. If the folks in charge don't want to do things right to get the folks fired, they are crappy employees also in my book, and just riding out thier time for retirement and are draining tax payers dollars as well.

If you do take the job, then I think your biggest battle will be with the supervisors and trying to get them to do thier job to get rid of folks. Also if you do take the job, don't let the performance of other workers ruin your work ethic. I left a gov.job and had no desire to go back because I personally can not tollerate folks getting paid for not doing a job properly.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links