Range suicide

This is a discussion on Range suicide within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was at the range that I regularly shoot at just this past Tuesday. It wasn't hardly a blip on the news which I find ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range suicide

Range suicide

This was at the range that I regularly shoot at just this past Tuesday. It wasn't hardly a blip on the news which I find surprising because it is at a pretty popular place, not to mention public. Just ticks me off that people can do this in a public place. If your gonna do it, do it at your own house away from anyone else. Now the people that were there have to deal with it forever and it negitivley affects those of us who go to shoot recreationally and for other legal purposes.

Grand Rapids woman kills herself at Wyoming shooting range - Muskegon Chronicle - MLive.com
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

2. Remove Ads

Is this a range that rents guns?

In a town near me called Bellevue, a few years back, a guy went to a private range where you can rent guns, rented a .357 revolver (IIRC) went in the bathroom, and blew his brains out (literally).

If she brought her own gun, I don't understand why she went to a shooting range to do it...

Either way, it's always sad when someone takes their own life. Usually out of depression or drugs.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Taking your own life is not the way to go, The worst thing is that there are people in hospitals that are dying that want to live and then there are those that are in good health and end up killing themselves.

This world needs the Gospel.

Regards,
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Sure seems popular here in MI, huh? It's happened at least twice in recent times that I can recall at Target sports right around the corner from me. Does it happen much elsewhere, or are we setting the new trend right here?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Yes, they rent guns and thats apparently what she did.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."-
    Sammy "The Bull" Gravano

thats bad.

VIP Member
    It is sad and very unfortunate, but desperate people find desperate ways to do desperate things. It happened at the range near me a few months back. There was no way to prevent it.

SO, some advice for those contemplating doing it.
    (Based on a real story of a cancer patient with only a few days left who decided he had enough.)

LOCK YOURSELF in a room so there is no possibility that anyone else can be blamed; leave a note too-so there is no possibility that anyone else can be blamed. Be sure of your backstop so no one else will get hurt.

In the incident I know of, the man ordered his family to go to the basement while he locked himself in a third floor bathroom.

No one in the family was surprised. EMTs were summoned as formality after the shot was fired. (Not that they could have arrived quickly enough to do anything to prevent the action.)

I'll offend the religious sensibilities of many, but we need better ways to deal with folks who find themselves in desperate situations; better hospice care; better social support; better pain management.

Stiil, if we really want to celebrate freedom we must also give up our notion that there is something morally reprehensible about suicide or those who attempt it and legalize medically assisted suicide as in Oregon and The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    that's bad.
    Yeah....real bad. If it were my regular range, I don't suspect it would keep me from going back there and shooting though. I figure they might do well to re-paint the place though.

Couldn't do it...

I guess that is the way out that I couldn't consider. I think too much of my firearms and handing them down to my ancestors to even think of it.

My brother n law, hung himself last year, they found him 3 days later but his body was already messed up.

It was painful to see my nephews asking questions while crying for there dad.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

That makes it especially bad, when there are kids left behind. I had a Brother In-Law who did the same with a belt in his closet. Luckily his daughter was not old enough to even remember he existed; which was also a good thing.

I personally think suicide is a cowardly way out, period!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

It happened on the rifle range at Paris Island, one of the privates couldn't deal with boot camp anymore. The DI's were less than kind about it. Drove home the deadly weapon point. My heart and prayers go out to the deceased loved ones.

jfl
    If you want to do it, please don't use a firearm, think of your family members finding your brain all over the room ...

I believe we have the right to choose in certain circumstances - terminal with intense suffering -- impacting your family -- etc

That's why I don't wear a helmet when I ride; I'd rather be dead then paralysed from the neck down and put that burden on my wife to wheel me, wash me, feed me. We had an extraordinary life together for 36 years, I don't want to end it that way.

Compassion & Choices
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have investigated numerous suicides and its usually very sad when you determine why they took this way out. It runs from a broken romance, to having a car repossed, not getting a promotion and most anything else you can think of. The ones I was involved in ran the gamut from slitting the wrist, overdose of drugs, shooting, hanging and death by cop.. It is always sad.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Sad story that this young woman solved a short-term problem with a long-term solution...but now it's over.
    Time to move on...at least she didn't take anyone else with her.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links