Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves'

This is a discussion on Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves' - International News | News of the World | Middle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves'

Thumbs down Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves'

FOXNews.com - Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves' - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
    Gardener Ordered to Remove Barbed Wire Fence on Grounds It Could 'Wound Thieves'

Thursday, October 09, 2008

A British gardener’s local council has ordered him to remove a 3-foot high barbed wire fence around his property in case thieves hurt themselves on it, the Daily Mail reported Thursday.

Bill Malcolm, 61, installed the wire at his Worcester property after burglars robbed his tool shed and vegetable plots three times in four months, stealing more than $500 worth of hardware.

But Malcolm’s local council told him the wire was a health and safety hazard and warned him they would remove it by force if he did not do it himself, the Mail reported.

“The council said they were unhappy about the precautions I had made but my response was to tell them that only someone climbing over on to my allotment could possibly hurt themselves,” Malcolm told the Mail. “They shouldn't be trespassing in the first place but the council apologized and said they didn't want to be sued by a wounded thief.”

The council said that a fence on the property must be a post or rail fence, not barbed wire.

“With regard to the barbed wire, when this is identified on site, we are obliged to request its removal or remove it on health and safety grounds to the general public as this is a liability issue,” a council spokeswoman told the Mail.
    Ohh, the words fail me!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

First they have to leave sheds open for thieves, now take down barriers to keep thieves out, what's next, keep your house open for a thief and cook him dinner too!
    What the hell is the UK coming to?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Friggin' idiots...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i've given up feeling sorry for the brits. they have the right to vote, so the madness that is their government is their own fault.

Lead Moderator
    What next, leave your valuables on the curb, don't want them to run the risk of injury due to breaking into your house!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    What next, leave your valuables on the curb, don't want them to run the risk of injury due to breaking into your house!
    Can't to that! The crooks might get hit by a car! Instead have a drop-box installed so they can drop you a note telling you where to ship your valuables! At your expense of course! Wouldn't want to burden the poor crooks now would we?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

Not an option either. They could get hit by a car.
    You are required to make delivery. He comes buy picks out what he wants, you help him load it up and take him and his newly aquired stuff to a location of his choice... Where you help him unload!
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

incredible
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

wpk
    They're allowed to VOTE in the UK, aren't they? I know you can't (shouldn't) base your votes on just one issue, but with policies like this how do their officials stay in office? This kind of insanity can't just be present in their weapon rights.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Barbed wire would wound (stop) thieves? Well, yeah. That's the point.

Is something wrong with the water, or the kidney pie, perhaps? Wow.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't even know what to say to this.

~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

AND that sums up what is wrong with the world today. Just a few centuries back, they built tall walls, surrounded them with moats and flung arrows and poured boiling hot oil down on anyone clamoring around outside. Now we have to avoid hurting the feelings of criminals and make our property defenseless ,inviting and comforting to thieves and trespassers. Soon we'll be required to leave a minimum amount of cash and valuable out for easy grabbing to reward them for their trouble.

my wife and I are moving to Britan and sneeking our guns with us. We will be robber barrons and no one to lift a finger against us. I belive the two of us could take the whole place like that Frenchie in 1066.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

It seems ridiculous, but I couldn't put up barbed wire in my neighborhood either. Not sure if the same reasoning was applied to local codes that prohibit it, or if they just don't think it looks nice.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'd just rig the cantaloupe to blow up when you pick it up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links