Investing Questions

This is a discussion on Investing Questions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I say buy guns and bullets. I will let you keep them in my safe....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Investing Questions

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I say buy guns and bullets. I will let you keep them in my safe.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post

Since the market has a history of 100% positive return over periods of 10 years.
    Not necessarily. I think the phrase most widely used is that the stock market produces average return of 10% per year over any given 50 yr period. Remeber that the 10% number is bias and skewed. The 10% is based on the Dow average over a period of time. What they don't tell you is that the stocks that make up the DOW change over time. Poorly performing compnaies or those that "go under" are removed from the DOW Industrials list and are then replaced with the newer, better performing companies. So in reality, if you are invested in the good ones ok, but if you were invested in the losers, you can lose everything. The idea that any given stock produces an average of 10% over time is a falsehood that people are led to believe. Some do, some don't.

Just something to think about when historical percentages are being thrown around.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Thanks for that perspective sgtD

If I had 10K, I would invest in classic antique firearms. But then I am an well seasond person and I like higher quality then I can afford. I percieve life on a daily basis and don't look to the future. I try and get the most joy I can from each day. Nice guns give me great joy.

Smith & Wesson is down around $2.21 a share, they make things I can't live without!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Buy at least some quantity of actual Gold metal.
    It's portable and the worse things get - the more it will always be valued.
    The "daily spot" price may rise or fall but, it will always be Gold and always have real worth.
    Bingo!...we have a winner here!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Four things to invest in that people will always have to have even if it is their last penny:

Liquor - Men will always buy liquor

Chocolate - Women have to have this even if the men have to buy it for them

Hospitals - People just can't live without them.

Funeral Homes - People are just dying to get them their business.

I am steadily buying over the past week, and plan to buy similar amounts each day or two for the next few weeks - unless the market jumps higher. With that said, dont invest it all - 6 months living expenses in no risk savings/treasuries builds a lot of comfort.

Also, diversification is great - for about $3,000 you could get a legal full auto mac 11. While it may not get the same returns as stocks, it can be a lot of fun, and they're not making more legal transferable MGs, so ts got a reasonable chance of strong appreciation.

WTS: SWD M11A1 .380, NIB, Form 3, $3,300 shipped

I hope the precious metals market rebounds first. Then the futures market...there will always be a need for food. While you're awaiting the possibilities of the best buying opportunities, canned goods and ammunition are a good bet. By the way......the talk at work today was about everyone's 401k plan and how everyone seems to be loosing their ASSets bigtime. One has to do a little research on capitalism to realize how all of this works within our country. The wealthy have resources and indicators that tell them when the time is right to pull out of the market and cut their losses and still come out ahead. It's been years since I've dabbled in the market, but if anyone would like some practice in a virtual setting, and get some real time look at the trends, check out wallstreetsurvivor. May be a good test for yourself.
    Fantasy Stock Market Game and Free Online Paper Trading at Wall Street Survivor

Invest into real estate I think its still the best investment next to buying Gold

How about CD's like the rolling stones greatest hits etc

Past Performance ("Since the market has a history of 100% positive return over periods of 10 years.

Since stocks are at the lowest point in our recent history is it a good time to buy for the long haul? If I invest $10k into the market at this rock bottom, wont I be gambling on huge returns over the long run?"

is not any indicator of future performance.

Do your homework, but your initial impression has some merit. Remember, buying is a falling market is like trying to catch a falling knife.

Also remember, Bull markets are born of despair and terror, and both are in abundance right now.

And, go look at Vanguard!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Buy $10,000 of AR's and sell them next year after the ban. You should make a bundle.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    No, no, no.

Do NOT put the money into the stock market.

PM me, and I will tell you where you can send it, and I will buy guns with it. I will then take care of those guns for you until they are worth more than you paid me to buy them....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I am going to hold off on the market, even though it came back 600 points today :-)

Thanks for the input

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links