Should I call the LEO'S

This is a discussion on Should I call the LEO'S within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was on my way to work and as I was getting on the main street I see a duffle bag out of the corner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I call the LEO'S

Should I call the LEO'S

I was on my way to work and as I was getting on the main street I see a duffle bag out of the corner of my eye. I make a fast U-turn and park right next to the bag (keep in mind right in front of the main street where I found the bag there are some apartments) well I get off my car and put the bag in the passenger side, the bag is already open, so I look inside of it and it’s got gun cleaning stuff and some ammo.
    First thing that crossed my mind was to call the LEO’s just in case there was a Gun in there and the BG’s decide to shoot someone, LEO'S can match the ammo with the crime. Or if the person that got it stolen files a report they at least have recovered some of his/her stuff, well I didn’t call them and the bag is in my car.
    Should I call the LEO’S?
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Why not? If you are in possession of a stolen or used in a crime weapon and you do not report it you may be in for a long day. If it was used in a crime, the faster the evidence is collected the better.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You should have not touched it and called the cops. Even in our country these days, your find is what should be handled as an IED.

Senior Moderator
    You should call or since you have it now take it to a Police station and explian where you found it and you didn't want to leave it there.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have called them and they are on there way to my work place.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Be sure to ask them if it is not dirty and no one claims it if you can have it after a while

I personally would not have picked it up, but called the Cops while parked across the street and watching it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    Addition: Keep in mind that any suspicious looking things that are "out of place" or not where they should be are still a potential Homeland Security threat.
    So duffel bags, luggage, knapsacks, etc., that are unattended or left in odd places need a report call to Law Enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Be sure to ask them if it is not dirty and no one claims it if you can have it after a while

I personally would not have picked it up, but called the Cops while parked across the street and watching it.
    The Officer asked me, if no one claimed it if I wanted it, I said sure why not.

So he gave me a case number.

I just don't know how long you have to wait to claim it.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Quote Originally Posted by MP45CDE View Post
    Even in our country these days, your find is what should be handled as an IED.
    That was my first thought.
    This is the law;
    The purpose of fighting is to win.
    There is no possible victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental. - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Addition: Keep in mind that any suspicious looking things that are "out of place" or not where they should be are still a potential Homeland Security threat.
    So duffel bags, luggage, knapsacks, etc., that are unattended or left in odd places need a report call to Law Enforcement.
    I should have done this,

A couple of years ago I was on my way to work and on the on ramp to the freeway there was a bag, I stopped and picked it up, went through the bag and found a check book, I called the number on the check book and the bag belonged to some big time preacher in California he was here in Tulsa preaching at a meeting.

I goggled the bag and it was worth $1500 it was a Louis Vuitton, I took the bag to him, he gave me a couple of books that he autographed and a $100 bill.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

My take on this, is that if it isn't yours, there should be no reason to pick it up, investigate, or place it in your vehicle, period.

If it is something that looks out of place call the leo's let them check into it, other than that, leave stuff that ain't yours alone, has served me well in the past, will continue to take that approach.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Your never to old to learn, Thank you.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Was there any name or lable on the bag? Sounds like somebodys vehicle got broken into. I hope there wasn't a firearm to go with that bag.

A preacher with a $1500 Louis Vuitton bag? -sighs heavily-

Well, glad everyone passed that collection plate around twice yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLFF View Post
    A preacher with a $1500 Louis Vuitton bag? -sighs heavily-

Well, glad everyone passed that collection plate around twice yesterday.
    I would assume the bag is a fake ;-)

In my opinion, the threat of "unattended luggage" is highly over-rated. However, it is never good to just pick up stuff that maybe someone else's. Heck, it had ammunition in it. So think about the guy who left it there to take a leak in an alley close to it. If he will come back and see you working his bag, maybe he go the gun that goes with the ammo in his belt.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links