OT, not humor. I'm disappointed in myself

This is a discussion on OT, not humor. I'm disappointed in myself within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just got back from Wally World, not carrying. I'm in the express checkout line next customer. A fella walks beside and in front of me, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT, not humor. I'm disappointed in myself

Just got back from Wally World, not carrying. I'm in the express checkout line next customer. A fella walks beside and in front of me, puts his purchase down on the counter just behind the woman in front of me.
    Didn't think anything, thought they were together. They were not.
    So this guy, wearing sunglasses, just cuts in front of me.
    My problem? I didn't do or say anything.
    Still not sure what I SHOULD have done, but I fell I've let myself down.
    Just a rant, I guess.
    But, any thoughts?

I usually don't either, whether I'm armed or not. Yeah, you might lose 90 seconds of your life while the bozo checks out, but arguing is likely to occupy more time than that. Especially if he is still a jerk about it after you bring it up, then it'll bother you for weeks. No way should having to wait in line for a minute be allowed to become physical, so why escalate? Let it go, rant later and let it out, go back to being happy. Life is too short to let the little stuff squash your enjoyment of it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I think I would have said something. no need to be confrontational just noticed. I have had that happen to me and I always say something, usually sarcastic and innocent like " hey i guess you are in more of a hurry than I am" or my personal favorite, " I know I lost a few pounds but I didnt think it made me invisible."
    There is no excuse for rude.

I prob wouldnt have said anything thinking they were together but I'd prob be pissed when I found out they weren't. The smart think is to not say anything just feel good that you thought they were together.

On the other hand do we really want to advocate not standing up for ourselves just to avoid a confrontation (if you had known they weren't together in advance).

VIP Member
    Some people are just jerks, and not worth bothering with.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    A fella walks beside and in front of me, puts his purchase down on the counter just behind the woman in front of me. So this guy, wearing sunglasses, just cuts in front of me.
    Normally, I say something simple, in the likelihood that the person simply didn't appreciate reality. If the person understands and is honorable, he/she will get to the end of the line. But, it's not a criminal issue, so I never press it. If done openly/loudly enough, the person's up for a minor (and appropriate) public shaming if he/she doesn't comply. Almost always, all it takes is noticing. But, like others, I won't take it beyond the mentioning.

For example:

Him: Cuts in front.

Me: "Excuse me, sir, but were you in line here? Others are already waiting."

Him: Decides to deal with it, or ignore it.

At that point, the others around know the simple score, and he'll either do or ignore the honorable thing. That's normally all it takes. I can't recall but once or twice in ~30yrs that anyone ever got bummed. The key is keeping it simple, straightforward and not accusatory beyond what's necessary to identify that others are in line already.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    I would definitely say something if I realized that he was not with the woman in front of me, something like, "excuse me, but I believe that I was next in line."

If he ignores me or worse, tells me tough, I would not push it. It is not worth a confrontation with a jerk, especially if I was armed.
    Last edited by Ron; October 11th, 2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add exclamation mark
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    How about something like:

Excuse me, but I believe I am next in line.

Excuse me, but if you are really in a hurry, I can sell you my place in line for $50.

Take his picture with your cell phone and tell him you are going to post it on the internet with a warning that he is a known line cutter.

Scream out, "I can't believe you just cut in front of me."

Or just realize he is a jerk and say nothing.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by major99 View Post
    I have had that happen to me and I always say something, usually sarcastic and innocent like "hey I guess you are in more of a hurry than I am"
    or "I wasn't standing here for nothing"
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I would have said something, wouldn't have been the first time or the last my sense of fairness escalated into a conflict. It's a issue I need to work on.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I want to say something like: Gee, I guess you were absent during "waiting your turn 101" in grade school, then let the chips fall where they may.
    Just kidding, but I usually will say something and then let it go, I blame it on the liberal mindset of most line-cutters.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Or kick him in the family jewels from behind and step over him while down to be next in line

VIP Member
    Or kick him in the family jewels from behind and step over him while down to be next in line . Hitch King Too Funny.

I would have said. Sorry Sir. Am I in Your way or did I cut in front of You and give him the guilt trip.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    A stun gun would have been nice, LOL. I think a comment would be in order, or ask the cashier not to ring him out and if he has a problem with that then he can talk to a manager about why he must cut in front of other people in line. Make it the cashier/manager's problem. I really wouldn't mind to much if somebody asked if they could cut, and more than likely I would allow it. It boils down to the principle of the matter.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I would say something non-confrontational just to be sure he understands what he did was inconsiderate and rude, I would not say anything, absent emotional or intellectual melt-down on his or her part, that would trigger escalation. Something like......"Oh, I would have been glad to let you have my place in line had you asked".

Heck, I let folks go in front of me all the time anyway.....but at my invitation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links