You sure have an easy job....

This is a discussion on You sure have an easy job.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Former Combat MP - Served in Iraq 2003; Present Reserve Police Officer since 1999 with exception of active duty National Guard; Also present Campus Police ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You sure have an easy job....

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Former Combat MP - Served in Iraq 2003;
    Present Reserve Police Officer since 1999 with exception of active duty National Guard;
    Also present Campus Police Officer for Hospital, several months on main campus where hospital has psych ward, Maternity ward and as all (most) hospitals – the Emergency Room;
    This morning riding golf cart in parking lot – lady walking her dog – when passing by I waved and said good morning & she politely waved and “Good morning” back – then she said “You sure have an easy job...” I replied “At the moment.” & kept on driving.

If she only knew.....

I know there's a lot of ya'll out there same as me - that others looking from the outside think you have it made - but if they could walk in your shoes for a week or so would find very different.
    For God, Family and Country!

Kind of like flying an airplane. Pretty boring for those flights, but when things start to go bad, all the excitement you could want or not.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    99% bordom...1% terror.

Rick

EVERYONE else has an easier job!...AND...if given the opportunity, we could do their job much more successfully and and a lot more efficiently.

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The job is hard, he just makes it look easy.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have an easy job. More about what I know than what I do. I do what Homer Simpson does for a living, but I've backed off the donuts lately.
    Last edited by Cupcake; October 12th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It is good to be me tho..making $22 an hour to sit here and type on forums like this one..today I went for a Harley ride and yep, I got paid for it..life is good!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Administrator
    My job is a tough one, but if you enjoy it, it becomes pretty easy. I found something I can channel my ADD and the need to have a hundred things going at once...

The last time somebody said that to me was when I stopped in a gas station to get a drink. I was BS'ing with a coworker near the drink fountain, and some lady made the comment...I about strangled her, I did let her verbally have it. I just got done on a all day child abuse case. I'll spare the details, lets just say it wasnt fun or easy.

A wise old time LEO told me this when I first started;

A street cop doesn't get paid for what he does, he gets paid for what he might have to do.
    "Just blame Sixto"

street cops dont get paid enuff! dont know how you guys do it! You have my admiration!
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    My job is pretty tough too, I'm a consumer.

Exclamation

Laughs for the lady, but in all seriousness Armycop...thanks for being there.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

It seems to me that military service doesn't mean as much to people as it use to. Sure, tons of people get it, but lots of them don't care and some even look down on it.

USN 02-06
    God Bless America!!

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I look at it this way:

Most of the time, I get paid minimum wage. (which is what the easy stuff is worth)

When it REALLY matters, I get paid $10,000 an hour. (which is a bargain, because you can't pay most people enough to do it)

In the end, it happily averages out.

VIP Member
    I was giving a tour to a friend and his 13 year old daughter last week at my work. They had never seen an atc tower before. It was kinda slow and we were having a nice time looking out the windows until an aircraft lost his engine during lift off. He just made it back to the runway and his port side engine was on fire. Everyone survived and the crash crew got the fire out fast. My friends daughter was pretty shook up.

Sometimes it can get crazy fast in my line of work. It went from slow to a plane full of people are gonna die in about 4 seconds.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I was giving a tour to a friend and his 13 year old daughter last week at my work. They had never seen an atc tower before. It was kinda slow and we were having a nice time looking out the windows until an aircraft lost his engine during lift off. He just made it back to the runway and his port side engine was on fire. Everyone survived and the crash crew got the fire out fast. My friends daughter was pretty shook up.

Sometimes it can get crazy fast in my line of work. It went from slow to a plane full of people are gonna die in about 4 seconds.
    I'm not trying to be smart, but just what does an ATC do in that type of situation? I'm sure the bigger portion is clearing the runway of aircraft, but is that just a "hey ya'll, get outta the way" or what?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links