Garage Storage Suggestions?

This is a discussion on Garage Storage Suggestions? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just recently bought a full-size truck and am having a tough time fitting both vehicles in our modest garage. I think it would work ...

Thread: Garage Storage Suggestions?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Garage Storage Suggestions?

I just recently bought a full-size truck and am having a tough time fitting both vehicles in our modest garage. I think it would work if everything was up on the walls/ceiling.

Any suggestions on garage storage?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I have seen several people put shelves all the way around their garage about 24" down from the ceiling. You could even double row them if you needed to keeping them above your vehicle, and head. I used to have cabinets in my garage that held a lot of my smaller items and I built racks for my garden tools and such.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

That's kind of what I was thinking about doing. Any name brand suggestions on services or products?

Name brand for the garage?

A stack of 2x4's sheets of 3/4 ply and a box of simpson tie joist hangers or stud ties depending on shelf design. The last set i made for the garage I used 24 inch deep 300lb two row ball bearing slide rails for full shelf exstension. so much easier to find and remove items for the back of the shelves. I am working on retro fitting he rest of the shelves.

Just solved our own storage problem...put a Home Depot Shed (from a kit) in the backyard...made a big difference.
    In another home I put shelving completely around the top of the walls...that provided a lot of space for boxed items.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I have the same problem, my garage is tight. I have a ton bikes, motorcycles, tools and... two good sized cars. I use every inch of space, I really need a shed too.

Home Depot and Lowes sells prebuilt wire shelves that hang from the ceiling... those are great for things you dont need often. I have the space above my garage door filled with these. I also have shelves on the front wall of my garage, but left them high enough that I can tuck my motorcycle below them, and the hood of my car slides under too. Bikes get hung fom the ceiling, and the attic above was converted into storage space too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A few years ago, I bought some property that had 3 old chicken houses on it. They measure 32 X 350 each........solved my garage clutter problem BIG TIME.

Seriously, Sixto is right, the pre-made wire shelving is a good quick fix. It might be a little pricey, but it goes up fast and looks good.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The shelves around the garage are a great idea, but I would start with a garage sale. I'm kind of a pack-rat, so once a year it's time for a cleaning.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    The shelves around the garage are a great idea, but I would start with a garage sale. I'm kind of a pack-rat, so once a year it's time for a cleaning.
    We have one almost every year. I have seriously trimmed down our extras, just need all the space I can get!

Do not build a shelf deeper that 18 inches you will never see what is all the way back if you go deeper.

There are lots of ways to either build shelving or buy prepackaged shelving to add more storage in a garage. Hanging bikes from the ceiling saves lots of space, then you can put stuff under them or whatever. Just make sure you don't interfere with the opening of the garage door/s. The racks that hold shovels, brooms, etc work really nicely as long as you use them.

We ran out of space in the garage years ago, so I built a 12x12 building, it got too full with atv's lawn mowers, deer stands etc. so I built a 14 x 24 awning on the side to cover some of the stuff and a couple of trailers, now it is pretty full to. Waiting for a sister to come pick up the pop up trailer so I will have some more room and get some more stuff.

My suggestion, is to not build any shelving or anything, leave things cluttered that will keep you from buying more stuff. It is a never ending battle.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You mean that you actually want to put your truck inside the garage? Now that is radical!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Links