Funniest thing said to daughter's date... - Page 4

Funniest thing said to daughter's date...

This is a discussion on Funniest thing said to daughter's date... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by SIXTO I appreciate what you are saying, but as I father I look at it this way... In most of these stories, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Funniest thing said to daughter's date...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying, but as I father I look at it this way... In most of these stories, there was no direct threat or attempts on anyones life. Sometimes you have to put yourself in the fathers shoes, they are simply testing your grit and the level of interest in their daughter. If your intentions are honorable, the story telling and chest thumping wont bother you. If you care about their daughter, you would understand where dear ol Dad is coming from and perhaps soon enough you will feel as strongly about protecting the lady as he does. If you as my daughters date couldn't figure that out and went off in a huff, mission accomplished.
    +1
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I appreciate what you are saying, but as I father I look at it this way... In most of these stories, there was no direct threat or attempts on anyones life. Sometimes you have to put yourself in the fathers shoes, they are simply testing your grit and the level of interest in their daughter. If your intentions are honorable, the story telling and chest thumping wont bother you. If you care about their daughter, you would understand where dear ol Dad is coming from and perhaps soon enough you will feel as strongly about protecting the lady as he does. If you as my daughters date couldn't figure that out and went off in a huff, mission accomplished.
    +2 nobody's making direct threat, just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I think the phrase should be "It is empty...... Right now!".

Look at the safe, look him up and down, look at the safe again.

"Yep, it'll probably do just fine."
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

I imagine that most of the stuff on this thread is posturing but it does demonstrate the love and concern for our children. Like the Loretta Lynn story I posted about her Grandfather saying "You take good care of my little girl or I will kill you" is not really a threat but rather a statement of fact. As SIXTO said you really need to see where the Father is coming from. He just lets you know that he is serious about his little girl.

My Father-in-law never really forgave me for taking his little girl away but he was as good to me as I could ever ask. He never threatened me but I know that he would have stood by his daughter if he needed to. Most of this is in fun like the carrying the fellow throught the woods and pointing out places to bury bodies and we do it because we were young once and want to pay someone back for what we went through. My Father threatened to kill a man over my Sister but didn't do it, although I really believe that if he had been given the right chance he would have and she was 30 at the time.

You can believe and run your mouth about whatever you want to but when you get serious about a girl or guy you get the whole family involved. When you marry you marry the whole family. As a wise man once told me, look at your girlfriend's mother, that is what you will be marrying.

VIP Member
    Sixto. + 3 and it always make's for a good story down the road if it work's out or not.

VIP Member
    ".. but any woman who knows anything at all would tell you she's never really seen into any man's heart. The soil of a man's heart is stonier.... Bedrock's close. A man grows what he can ... and he tends it."
    Stephen King
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    Thanks- I had shoulder surgery- typing one handed pretty much sucks.

I'm quite sure my dad was "one of those boys"- he was a scholarship SEC defensive tackle in the early 70's. My point, however, was that he never resorted to (IMHO) silly attempts to intimidate my dates.

By the bold words, I take it your dad is a pretty big guy. Maybe his size alone was the intimidation. As the father of a seven year old daughter, I have some time to consider what to tell her dates when that time comes around. I joke with my wife about being in a wife-beater cleaning a gun with another gun on my hip when the date comes in, or doing something similar to Martin Lawrence/Will Smith in Bad Boys II. But like FN said, its about showing how much we care for our daughter.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Five years ago, my 16yr old daughter found herself a 19yr old boyfriend. He was a very handsome young man. She was considerably overweight, and was overwhelmed by his attention.

I had a chat with this young man. I never raised my voice. I told him that I loved my little girl and didn't want to see her get hurt either physically or emotionally. I told him that if he was SERIOUS about her, that was fine, but they needed to take things slowly. I told him that if he was just looking for a quick good time, there were plenty of girls out there who were perfectly willing, and whose parents didn't care - but my daughter and I did not fall into those categories.

I told him, "If you hurt my daughter.....I.....will......kill......you." I then told him a little war story to emphasize the point, and swore him to secrecy regarding ever telling my daughter that story. He could tell her about the rest of my talk, but not that story.

They just celebrated their first wedding anniversary.
    Great story!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by chuckE View Post
    I always envision me sitting in the living room in my boxers and wifebeaters cleaning my guns as a date shows up. LOL
    I have a friend who envisions himself doing the opposite...sitting in the corner of a barely lit room, wearing a nice suit, speaking like he has a mouth full of marbles, and petting a cat...

Whaddya' want?....he's Italian!
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Very well said, SIXTO.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

My daughter was a very capable competitive martial artist. I just pulled her dates aside, and whispered, be careful, she can kill ya one-handed.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...If your intentions are honorable, the story telling and chest thumping won't bother you. If you care about their daughter, you would understand where dear ol' Dad is coming from and perhaps soon enough you will feel as strongly about protecting the lady as he does. ...
    Very well put - and I loved seeing the phrase, "chest-thumping".

Quote Originally Posted by dralarms View Post
    ...The boy turned white and have never come with 100 yrds of me since.
    A restraining order will do that.

I can only remember one time growing up that I ever got a "talkin' to" by any dates father and all he said to me was "You seem like a nice guy but I love my daughter, and I own a lot of property in Maine and no one ever goes up there." He did invite me to go hunting once and I made it back so I guess his daughter had no complaints.

My wifes grandfather told me that he had 100 acree, a backhoe and no one would miss my scrawny white butt.
    I believed him :-)

Reminds me of the scene in Bab Boys II when Reginald comes to take Marcus's daughter out. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith....crude language but FUNNY
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    +2 nobody's making direct threat, just a suggestion
    In the eyes of the law, a CONDITIONAL threat is no threat at all.

(provided that the condition not forbid an action which the person has a duty to perform, or require an action which the person is forbidden to perform)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links