Why can't I get this lucky?

This is a discussion on Why can't I get this lucky? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I wonder who cried the hardest, the owner of the station, or the next customer in line when the mistake was realized? General News - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

I wonder who cried the hardest, the owner of the station, or the next customer in line when the mistake was realized?

General News - Dozens get gas in Wis. for 35 cents after mistake

Dozens get gas in Wis. for 35 cents after mistake
    news-general-20081015-ODD.Super.Cheap.Gas

Chart shows the price of gas over the past year;
    5 hours ago
    Loading... Must Read?Thank YouYes 125

WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. Sure, gas prices have come down lately. But to 34.9 cents a gallon? That's what Kelly Joosten and dozens of other motorists paid at a Citgo station Monday. The sign advertised $3.43 for a gallon of premium fuel, but the pump cost read $0.349 a gallon.

"That was amazing," said Joosten, who normally spends about $100 to fill up her 1998 Ford Expedition.

Joosten proudly showed off her receipt for 25.36 gallons at $8.85. She said she saw other motorists filling gas cans, too, at the discounted price.

Station owner JP Raval says the attendant on duty couldn't figure out why the station was suddenly so busy.

Raval estimated 30 to 40 customers fueled up at the incorrect price between 200 and 300 gallons worth for about 90 minutes.

"People kept coming, so fast," Raval said. "Everything was crowded; it was like a fairground."
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

OPPS! and a Citgo to boot!
    "Brains before Bullets"

It's just sad that people took advantage of this store's error. Granted... I'd have had 2nd or 3rd thought's but in the end I would have gone in and questioned the price to the clerk.

Would of had alot of mad folks at me, but in the end RIGHT THING TO DO!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

The sad thing is that a lot of the people who took advantage were ones that heard about the error and went down with cans to get as much as they could and never said a word. Basically this world is filled with dishonest people.

Early this last summer a local gas station did the same thing. I was the only person getting gas and when I notised the error I stoped filling the tank. I went inside and told the man behind the counter whom I think was the owner. He came out and looked at the pump, praised my honesty and said he would fix the error after I filled up. I told some friends and co-workers about it and they thought I was a fool for saying anything and angry at me for not calling them.

It is stealing when you know a product was misprised, and I will never take anything I have not earned.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

I guess Citgo will have to write down its profits from $101 million this quarter to just $100 million for that mistake. Almost puts them in the soup line.

Many years ago we had a problem with our credit card processer. We would swipe the credit card thru our terminal and the bank would process the charges. Simple right? The cc processer never sent the info to American Express. This when on for almost 2 years. Yes, bad book keeping on our part. All the time our steady customers starting using only their American Express cards. The mistake only came up because a first time customer called and said " The charge for the rental never appeared on my AX bill. Probley missed the billing cycle it will appear on next month bill. A month later same customer called and said "Still nothing on my AX.

Upon looking over the statements, Sure enough we were not getting paid on AX charges. After several calls to CC processer. They realized software problem so I had to go back 2 years and process every AX charge. The CC processer said that they would stand behind every declinded charge. Sure enough after I processed every valid card then my steady customers called and asked "Why did I wait 2 years to charge them?"

Why didn't you say something when you saw that you were not being billed?

The most common answer was" Why should I tell you that you were not charging me?

Our reply" It would have been the right thing to do!!! 99% of the charges went thru. We got our money!!!

I forgot to add. We informed the first time customer that we were not processing her charge for the rental and thanked her for bringing it to our attention.

How many people here have looked over their dinner bill and have seen that the server undercharged them for the meal and had the server correct the bill ?

Going our for Sunday family dinner as a kid my father used to go over the bill every time looking for and came across more undercharges that I can remember. He would have the server correct the bill knowing that at the end shift the server would have to pay the diffrence. Something that has been passed down to my siblings and myself. It is the right thing to do.

If you knowlingly pay less than what you know you should be paying without notifying the business/owner,you are a thief.nuff said
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This has happened since everyone was a kid..

Trick or Treating, and a 'Take One Plate'. How many times did you see someone take the whole plate?

Its not going to change. Its another reason to be prepared when people come to try and take your plate.

VIP Member
    It never ceases to amaze me at the looks I get from cashiers when I return the difference when they give me too much change, I didn't earn so it is not mine.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If it weren't a Citgo, I'd sort of feel bad for the shop owner. But since it's a Citgo, may it happen again tomorrow.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    OPPS! and a Citgo to boot!
    I guess Chavez will have to order one less tank...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Couldn't have happened to a better station. Take that Hugo.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links