I got laid off

This is a discussion on I got laid off within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The backstabbing at work finally caught me, and I got fired on the first. I was a manager at a car lot, so I lost ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got laid off

I laid myself off.

The backstabbing at work finally caught me, and I got fired on the first. I was a manager at a car lot, so I lost my job, and my car. They said I could go to the floor and sell again. I worked one day and figured out that was not what they wanted, and quit. Take a couple days off, relax, and then get looking. I live in an aircraft town, and have skills, so I am looking forward to being a drone punching a clock. At least when you leave work you're done. When one door closes, another is waiting for you to open it. Best of luck to you.
    Tom

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wish I was in a position to help...but best wishes in the job search.

Rick

Sorry to hear the news. It's never a good time. Hope you have some contacts or sources that will produce something.

Same for you, ICTsnub. Hope you can find something you like.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of your circumstance. Got any guns you want to sell to help you over the bumpy spots?

Been there and I know how you feel. Hang in there. Did they offer you COBRA coverage? That would give you at least 1 month for your Wife.

Don't you get VA medical still, wouldn't she be covered?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    That always stinks. I know its probably not what you want to hear, but perhaps you should consider getting a job at Walmart or some place like it until you get what you want. They do offer insurance pretty much right away to new hires and it will provide a little more income until your girl gets out of school; there's no shortage of nursing jobs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Man that sucks. I was in the same position 4 years ago, right around this time of year. Was unemployed until February, but now I am making very good money, at a job that I love.

Don't give up, if you are hard-working, honest, and on-time you will find something, just may take a little time.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

COBRA Coverage is six months, is it not? Your expense, but coverage.

Does the University have student coverage your wife could qualify for?

Good luck to you, and Tom also!

I will look into the COBRA. I was working for a underground utility locating company. I'm a trained electrican, mostly oilfield stuff. I was an overly trained firefighter in the Navy, but my hometown only pays $8 an hour. I'm trying to get on the local sheriffs office. I'm more than willing to work at a Wal-Mart till I find something else.
    God Bless America!!

I am really sorry to hear this. I think the assault on a person's ego and self-worth is worse than loss of a paycheck. And why do these things always seem to happen around the holidays?

I got laid off and the next job I found was the best one I ever had. May it be so for you as well. I am praying for you tonight.

Administrator
    If your an electrician, perhaps you can get on with a big chain store place like wally world, and work for them as an electrician. Big companies like that have there own crews to deal issues that come up when you have hundreds of large buildings. You might have to take a lesser job to get your foot in the door (and get insurance), but I think it would be a shot worth taking.

Anyhoo, think outside of the box... there are still options out there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I will look into the COBRA. I was working for a underground utility locating company. I'm a trained electrican, mostly oilfield stuff. I was an overly trained firefighter in the Navy, but my hometown only pays $8 an hour. I'm trying to get on the local sheriffs office. I'm more than willing to work at a Wal-Mart till I find something else.
    See post #10, this might just be the ticket you're looking for...send a PM to RamRod...
    All is NOT lost.
    With your experience...there has to be a lot of options.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

B52
    I sure am glad I decided to make the military a career. Sorry about your lay-off man...Maybe you should try to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    I sure am glad I decided to make the military a career. Sorry about your lay-off man...Maybe you should try to get back in.
    +1, especially with the world the way it is, i'm glad for the ridiculous level of job security
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear that. Hope something comes along that will work out for you.

We are so busy that I am thinking about adding another employee, so things are not bad everywhere.

I truly believe that if you are a GOOD employee----come to work, get there on time, not afraid to work, not worried that you might have to do more than another fellow employee, go the extra mile for customers, honest, and a good driving record. NO drugs, alcohol on occasion---not every night, respect for your employers property. Do you kinda see where I am going???? People like that can easily find work. Oh ya, don't expect to make more $ than the boss.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links