I got laid off - Page 3

I got laid off

This is a discussion on I got laid off within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been laid off once, had a very short temporary job once, and tonight got fired for quietly expressing my opinion that the pay scale ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got laid off

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've been laid off once, had a very short temporary job once, and tonight got fired for quietly expressing my opinion that the pay scale is unfair, all in the last six months.

I feel your pain.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I've been through a layoff myself, and it sucks. As others have mentioned, be sure to COBRA your health insurance. As long as you don't go longer than 62 days, you don't have to meet any health qualifications. You can keep the COBRA insurance for up to 18 months. If you haven't found anything by then, then you can get them to sell you a policy. They have to give you a policy, regardless of health problems (once again, don't go without insurance for over 62 days). Best of luck finding something. I was out of work most of last year due t a major health problem (hospitalized 3 times, the last one my wife found me in the bedroom, babbling incoherently, then passing out, and then unconscious for 3 days). It took several months to find work after that, which pretty much destroyed my finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    I will look into the COBRA. I was working for a underground utility locating company. I'm a trained electrician, mostly oilfield stuff. I was an overly trained firefighter in the Navy, but my hometown only pays $8 an hour. I'm trying to get on the local sheriffs office. I'm more than willing to work at a Wal-Mart till I find something else.
    $28.13 per hour is the scale for State licensed electricians on the particular job that was offered me on Friday. Corp of Engineers project in Ft Smith. Like I say though, job's only good for three months. They do have several other projects in several other states. That company was needing three people immediately on Friday. I don't know how long that will last. At that rate, some are more than willing to relocate or travel for the short term, and I figure they should be able to fill the spots by the end of today or Tuesday. I'll PM you their toll free number as I work Mon/Tue and will be out of contact those days.

VIP Member
    Just got back from a interview at Bass Pro Shop. Looks good so far, they need an archery tech, and I used to own a shop when I lived in Oklahoma. Not only did I interview with a general merchandising manager, but they had me stick around to interview with the hunting department manager. Pays not the greatest, but better than I'm making sitting at home! Suppose to hear back from them tomorrow.
    The down side is I'll be like a kid in a candy store, what to buy first...lol. 40% employee discount. I can see my safe stocking up really quick on ammo!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've been laid off more times than I can count over my 15 years in the construction business. Of course I always knew it would be coming and planned accordingly. I was also a union worker, so finding new employment was easier.

Keep your spirits up. If you have a good reputation and are a good worker you'll find work. Nowadays if you just show up everyday and actually do some work you have over half of the competition beat before you even start.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Good luck, Derrin33. Don't give up hope. I've been laid off twice in the past 3 years.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Good luck to ya. If you're willing to relocate, unemployment in WY is really low. Most of the companies I visit up there can't hang on to people.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

DC Founder
    Sorry to hear it. It's a tough job market out there, but keep at it and don't get discouraged. I was "retired early" (read fired) for political reasons just over a year ago and have been without insurance. Things have been "tightening up" ever since. Seems I am either over qualified, under qualified or too darned old....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I finally got hired on to a really good company, I got the offer letter yesterday. Seems like a great company to work for and have jobs going all over the country. they offer full benefits, relocation reimbursement, Etc, Etc.

Jobs List - Lend Lease Retail & Communities Inc.

If you are in Construction, or project management, give it a look!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Not a COBRA fan myself. I just bought my own policy and it was half the price of what my COBRA would have been from the old company. Granted, my co-pays are higher, but when you do the math, it's still cheaper. The difference though, if you sign up for COBRA, I don't believe you have to fill out any applications regarding pre-existing conditions.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links