I got laid off

This is a discussion on I got laid off within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, Friday at about noon I was laid off. Not only was I laid off, but my boss and about 20 more folks. They told ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got laid off

I got laid off

Well, Friday at about noon I was laid off. Not only was I laid off, but my boss and about 20 more folks. They told me that the company is moving in a new direction. I've never been laid off and I can't think of a worse time. The economy is in the crapper and the holidays are around the corner. The job search is on-going as we speak. The major issue is my wife attends the OU Nursing College and MUST have health insurance to attend. Guess who just lost his health insurance? The dean is going to try and work with us but can make no guantees. I'm still waiting on the Post Office to call back, and the local Sheriffs Office as well. Wish me luck folks, times are about to get rough.
    God Bless America!!

2. Remove Ads

Hang in there I know what you're going through. Don't let it get you too down. You'll find something better. I've been laid off before and it sucks but you will pull through it.

VIP Member
    I understand how you feel, I got "canned" a month ago. Luckily I have some savings and my military retirement, and my wife is a nurse. Have an interview Monday morning at Bass Pro Shop. Not my perfect idea of work, or pay, but it will work until something better comes around.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I went from having 135 hours on my last check to being laid of this week. I never saw it coming.
    God Bless America!!

JD
    Administrator
    That's crappy news, I hope something pans out for you both.

Lead Moderator
    That sucks. Hope you find something soon.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Not a pleasant situation to be in. Good luck.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Your employer has to offer you continuing health coverage.
    Of course it's at your expense.
    It's called COBRA

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    My first job was pretty good - 24 years with no layoffs (Army and Air Force) After I retired I worked at three different jobs and got laid off from two of them. I beat the third by retiring. Best of luck on finding a new and better job.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Hate to hear this. I know what a lay-off is working in and out of construction for over 20 years. If you happened to be a licensed electrician, I know where you might go to work in Ft Smith for federal scale wages. At what they're paying, one could easily afford a weekly motel and still come out very well. I got a phone call Friday and he was seriously needing to fill the positions for this particular job. Thing is the job only lasts three months. If it would have been a one to two year contract, I probably would have gone for it myself. If you have any electrical experience what so ever, I have plenty of contacts on the Arkansas side of our border FYI, and some contacts that originally came from Oklahoma and are still based there. I'd be more than willing to gather any info for you and with my reputation, I imagine they'd do a friend of mine a favor if they could. Other than that, I'd tell you to go file for your unemployment immediately. I know our state has a one week waiting period after filing. At week two, at least you'd have something coming in, and possibly enough in one week to continue your insurance plan through COBRA for a month. Please don't get the idea I'm butting into your business. It's just I've been down this road more than a couple of times.

Administrator
    Ditto: I hope everything works out for you.

Start "cold calling" various places out of the Yellow Pages.

These things don't always turn out to be bad.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Look into COBRA insurance. You pay the premiums, but you are covered. Plus, you are also covered until the end of the month.

What kind of job are you looking for? I am sure there are jobs out there, might not be exactly what you are looking for, but once you get something and the pressure is off a bit financially, you can always continue to search for something better.

Job postings have change radically in the past few years. I do not see a lot of postings in the paper any more. I have always found my jobs through Craigslist. Not sure just how extensive CL is in Bartlesville, but check into online job postings.

And think of the light at the end of the tunnel. Nursing, right now, is a very lucrative profession. Once your wife graduates, she can very easily get a high paying job almost anywhere you guys want to live.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Sorry about that news...hope you find something soon.
    What's your occupation?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Circumstances caused me to lose a job I had, been unemployed for a little while now.

I ended up finding a better job, with better pay, and a better company. Things turn around! Best of luck to you and your family!

COBRA is the way to go for health insurance. Make sure you don't miss the deadline for it (30 days?) your old employer should give you some information about it.

Maybe this forum needs a job board.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links