Well, I WAS planning on picking out a new AR...

Well, I WAS planning on picking out a new AR...

This is a discussion on Well, I WAS planning on picking out a new AR... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I had planned on spending that upcoming bonus check on a new AR...clearly based on the way my weekend went, I'm not getting an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, I WAS planning on picking out a new AR...

Unhappy Well, I WAS planning on picking out a new AR...

Well, I had planned on spending that upcoming bonus check on a new AR...clearly based on the way my weekend went, I'm not getting an AR.

Let's see... I expected to have to fix my woodstove(given that it's getting into the lower 30's/upper 20's at night in my area), that I can do myself on the cheap so to speak.
    1. Saturday I got a flat,
    2. Sunday morning my furnace started exploding and shooting 6' fireballs out the front...cleaned the burners etc and got the exploding under control and in the process discovered the heat exchanger's foobar(bad xChanger=CO poisioning).
      • Adrenaline effect from exploding furnace...$20
      • Satisfaction of repairing part of the unit...$20
      • Effect on nervous system of Pricing on new furnaces...$ Priceless
    3. Fast Forward to MondayAM and my oven goes on the fritz....

...should I be taking a hint? Maybe up my life insurance ...like soon?

"My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

You can up the life insurance, but I got news for you...you aren't the one who's going to spend it!

Jump on that furnace...that CAN kill!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never fails does it? Similar reasons I had to go and put my shotgun on lay-away instead of laying down a whopping $300 for it all at once. Got three months to pay it off though.

Senior Moderator
    Its always something.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Let's see.....Things that have gotten in my way of buying an AR in 2008.......

Jan....Septic system failure... $1700.
    May... HVAC system failure.... $5000. Still need to replace duct work
    New Fridge ... $600. Got out cheap on that one
    June.... Transmission failure in my car $2000.00
    Aug ... Possible new career to come $2300 to pay off bills quickly

You know how many AR and how much ammo I could have stockpiled to date???

You'll survive, hang in there.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Ya they don't make heat exchangers like they used to. And how does one entire HVAC fail? Did the furnace go, the Ac? All that should be done w/ the duct work is a little bit to fit in a new unit or something like that. Duct work doesn't go bad.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Stuff like that happens so much around my house that I haven't ever even gotten to the point of being able to "plan" to buy an AR.

But hey, we have food, a roof and heat. Get your furnace fixed and you'll be good to go. Maybe Uncle Sugar will "give" us all another stimulus check soon and then you can get the AR. My last stimulus check had to pay for a new used washer and dryer. Oh the joy!

Sometimes it seems like life is rough and you just can't figure out when you're gonna get a break, but remember you have it better than 95% of the world's population just by being fortunate enough to live in this great country. At least you weren't born in the Sudan or Iraq or Afghanistan etc...
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Ya they don't make heat exchangers like they used to. And how does one entire HVAC fail? Did the furnace go, the Ac? All that should be done w/ the duct work is a little bit to fit in a new unit or something like that. Duct work doesn't go bad.
    Heat unit failed last winter. Too old to buy parts for. Trust me I tried! We made do without it. Lucky I live in the South.
    AC side failed this spring. Too bad I live in the South.

Duct work was poorly installed originally(20 + years ago), has mold, and is leaky. Needs to be replaced. Cobbled together. Sized wrong for most rooms, main trunk has a small duct running to the un insulated garage, causing a loss in pressure/volume.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Yikes! At least you found it sooner rather than later!

It's the 'ol empty checkbook theory.......the checkbook is always empty right before payday.........drat............

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Tree work at the rental house $1800

New roof at the rental house $3900

Plus taxes and insurance makes this years $950 a month rent profits negligible.

I feel your pain brother... whats next

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    With the election coming up? ... I would forego the heat and flat tire repairs. I know, I know .. easy for me to say as I sit in my heated house with 4 good tires cleaning my AR.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Must be an epidemic happening. Here's my recent expenses of just this month.

Electrical work including all new panel, $1400
    New fence on two sides, $3100

My van repairs will have to wait. Luckily, it's a spare vehicle that we use for camping and trips.

Murphy's Law of firearms purchase
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Let's see.....Things that have gotten in my way of buying an AR in 2008.......

Jan....Septic system failure... $1700.
    May... HVAC system failure.... $5000. Still need to replace duct work
    New Fridge ... $600. Got out cheap on that one
    June.... Transmission failure in my car $2000.00
    Aug ... Possible new career to come $2300 to pay off bills quickly

You know how many AR and how much ammo I could have stockpiled to date???

You'll survive, hang in there.
    Oh yeah...I just needed to vent. I can always survive. I'm a survivor. It just all culminated in one weekend. Yeah, I've got some of your list in mine too from the last couple of months. Just feels like as soon as I get on top of things...it's something else blowing up. Heh...I'm on your August list now. Just started a month ago.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I suppose the plus side is that at least I found out about the heat exchanger this time. I guess that's better than the burners working and the exchanger still being broken and me slowly dying overnight and not knowing it... If the burners hadn't been acting up i never would have looked into the whole unit. Go figure.

-The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links