After watching heating oil prices spike, last January we decided to invest in a fireplace insert. With that in mind I managed to find 8 cords of free firewood in February, just had to fell, cut, split and haul it away.
I got the install finished, and the building inspector came by yesterday and called it good. Got home from work and lit the stove. Heated it up slowly at first to break it in, then got it rolling up to 650 degrees or so. Added a couple of splits and closed the damper and went to bed. Woke up this morning to find a nice bed of coals, added a few more splits and we were rolling again. The attached blower circulated air throughout the house, keeping the upstairs nice and warm also.
Anyhow, here is a shot just after I added a new load of splits prior to going to bed last night:
Here is a shot of the this years supply of stove food: