I need advice

I need advice

This is a discussion on I need advice within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need to buy a second car, as some of you know we were in an accident a couple of weeks ago. The amount that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice

I need advice

I need to buy a second car, as some of you know we were in an accident a couple of weeks ago.

The amount that they are giving me is not a whole lot but I need to get something for myself.

What are some of the things I should look at when buying a used car?

What cars should I stay away from?

What's the most mileage that I should consider?

The Astro that was in the wreck, I paid $1300 and man it ran strong and it was nice, I bought it with 168000 and in almost the 2 years that I had it only had 175000.

So that lets you know how much I drove it. Never put a dime in it besides new tires and new shocks.

So I’m all ears if someone would like to give me some pointers.
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Work, run-around car for you or a 'family' car/van like the Astro?

Just some of the things I look at.....are there any oil/grease stains under where it's parked? Does the engine run 'diffrently' after it warms up and you've driven it for a few minuets (test drive)?

Edmunds.com is a good place to go to look at auto reviews, gas mileage, safty ratings, etc. from whatever year and make, model that you look at.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Administrator
    If I were going to buy a well used car, it would be an Accord, Camry or Toyota pick up.

I not only look at things tha goldshellback mentioned, but I'll also look at the sellers home etc., its a good indication of how he takes care of all his things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you drive that little, get a larger used vehicle or even a small truck. Sure, the gas mileage isn't as good, but you can practically name your price and since you don't put many miles on it paying a few dollars extra at the pump isn't important considering how little you will pay up front.

When you're looking at a used car, remember low mileage is good up to a point. I bought a 9 year old car with very low mileage thinking it would be great since it had so little use. Of course nothing big would break, right? WRONG! First it needed one new front CV joint, then another, then an alignment, then a muffler, A/C pump, etc., etc. Look at obvious things like engine oil, coolant, air filter, etc. I almost bought a used Honda that the dealer told me had passed their "100 point inspection". Uh huh. When I checked the dipstick the oil was a quart low and the air filter was filthy. Both should have been fixed in a casual inspection let alone a "100 point" one. test drive the car and drive it at all speeds. Sometimes a poor alignment or steering trouble will only show up at highway speed. Look for rust, mismatched paint, and other signs of flooding. ALWAYS get the Carfax report on a used car. And then accept that no matter how closely you look it over and no matter how well it's been cared for, it very well may blow up on you two days after you buy it. It's happened to me twice. That's just part of the risk you take.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Just some of the things I look at.....are there any oil/grease stains under where it's parked? Does the engine run 'diffrently' after it warms up and you've driven it for a few minuets (test drive)?
    you just described my truck to a T
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If I were going to buy a well used car, it would be an Accord, Camry or Toyota pick up.

I not only look at things tha goldshellback mentioned, but I'll also look at the sellers home etc., its a good indication of how he takes care of all his things.
    Very true. When I sold cars....it wasn't uncommon for folks to buy hi-mileage camrys and accords. They seem to run forever. An example is I remember selling a camry to this old man. It had 249K on the clock. I'd see him from time to time. I know when i come back to Georgia, it had well over 350k on it. Look at the 4 cylinder models.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Ok here is the skinny. Forget what the odometer says. Digital can be rolled back eaiser than old mechinal ones. Get a CARFAX not great but better than nothing. As take the car to your mek-a-nick to get it checked out.

Signs of high mileage.
    Look at the area directly under the gas and brake pedal is the carpet worn out? Is the rubber on the pedal all chewed up? Are the option buttons all worn off? Are the springs coming thru the seats.

Signs of flood car
    Smell the interior of the car after sitting overnight smells musty,dirty?
    Pull the seat belts all the way out look for dirt or mold at the very end of the belt. People never clean the end of the belts .Look at the A/C filter too.

Signs of damaged car
    look to see if the fenders and quarter panels have the factory VIN stickers on the panels. Pull the carpet back inside the truck and look for Bondo filler in the small holes that are needed to pull out the damage.

Pull the dipstick on the motor oil after sitting overnight. Look for water droplets on the dip stick. Does blue smoke come pouring out of the tail pipe? Look at the antifreeze not in the overflow but thru the radatior cap does it look muddy? Put of the heat on high does the car get a sweet smell inside? All signs of Head gasket. Does the Transmission fluid smell burnt? Wipe off the sticks with your fingers goes the fluid feel gritty? signs of metal in Engine and Trans.

Try to find a car that at least has one of those small stickers in the corner of the windshield that reminds the driver that he need to do an oil change not one that was just done.

Try to find a car that was owner but an older driver than a young driver. Look for any receipts in the glovebox. People who take care of their car will normally have an old receipt in the glove box

Compare the mileage on the state emission report to what is now on the odometer. Did the person travel only 50 miles over the last year? Not likely. Try to find a car for sale by somebody who is no longer able to drive. Look by nursing homes or retirement communities. Try to ask friends or family.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Ok here is the skinny. Forget what the odometer says. Digital can be rolled back eaiser than old mechinal ones. Get a CARFAX not great but better than nothing. As take the car to your mek-a-nick to get it checked out.

Signs of high mileage.
    Look at the area directly under the gas and brake pedal is the carpet worn out? Is the rubber on the pedal all chewed up? Are the option buttons all worn off? Are the springs coming thru the seats.

Signs of flood car
    Smell the interior of the car after sitting overnight smells musty,dirty?
    Pull the seat belts all the way out look for dirt or mold at the very end of the belt. People never clean the end of the belts .Look at the A/C filter too.

Signs of damaged car
    look to see if the fenders and quarter panels have the factory VIN stickers on the panels. Pull the carpet back inside the truck and look for Bondo filler in the small holes that are needed to pull out the damage.

Pull the dipstick on the motor oil after sitting overnight. Look for water droplets on the dip stick. Does blue smoke come pouring out of the tail pipe? Look at the antifreeze not in the overflow but thru the radatior cap does it look muddy? Put of the heat on high does the car get a sweet smell inside? All signs of Head gasket. Does the Transmission fluid smell burnt? Wipe off the sticks with your fingers goes the fluid feel gritty? signs of metal in Engine and Trans.

Try to find a car that at least has one of those small stickers in the corner of the windshield that reminds the driver that he need to do an oil change not one that was just done.

Try to find a car that was owner but an older driver than a young driver. Look for any receipts in the glovebox. People who take care of their car will normally have an old receipt in the glove box

Compare the mileage on the state emission report to what is now on the odometer. Did the person travel only 50 miles over the last year? Not likely. Try to find a car for sale by somebody who is no longer able to drive. Look by nursing homes or retirement communities. Try to ask friends or family.

This is very good and an eye opener..

This answers a lot of questions.
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    HITCH KING gave some good advice and things to look for.

In you part of the country, I would be leary about any used car that "may" have come from hurricane country. Sometimes with a flood damaged auto, dealers will auction those cars off to other dealers or even conduct public auctions to move inventory. It's very easy for a car to move hundreds or even thousands of miles from an auction sale and you wouldnt know where the car came from. A flood damaged car may not show a problem until a year or so afterwards. Changing fluids is one of the first things that a mechanic would do to the car.

Buying a used car is alot tougher today than it was 20 years ago. People dont seem to be as honest anymore especially when they are asking top dollar for a vehicle. CarFax may be a good resource but I've never tried it. Hopefully, you can find something from a private party versus a dealer, unless the dealer can prove who the previous owner was and can show maintenance records.

Thats what I would look for.

_
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    All excellent advice. Adding to it: REALLY look for the flooding signs, as there's very little way to avoid horrendous problems with relays and connectors, and they'll often be those intermittent electrical problems which completely defy diagnosis. Go for UGLY but in good mechanical condition. And with your miles-per-year, I agree that a car towards the gas-guzzler end of the spectrum might actually be a good move.

I have a '96 Nissan Sentra which is only now showing trouble at 250K. I bought it ugly, with a good motor, for $1800 in 2000. I would be thrilled to get another.

Thinking about a new car or buying from a dealer? (I realize you probably aren't, but others reading this might be interested in the comment...) Consider first reading the EXCELLENT book by Remar Sutton, Don't Get Taken Every Time. He ran the sales department at a car dealership, and describes all of the dirty tricks they pull to separate you from your money - and make you think you got a good deal so you'll be back for the next car. He also describes how to negotiate a truly good deal: in short, find out what the car REALLY cost the dealer, detail clean your car and get estimates at several used car lots or sell it privately rather than do a trade-in, and pay cash or arrange financing through your own credit union.

Go here and run the VIN first before you commit to buy, they will give base information for free.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Does anyone have access to carfax for free?
    Read my story.

Pictures in page 5 & 6

I always take any car by a mechanic that I trust to have them look at it. It's saved my a lot of headache.

Joe

SIXTO said Toyota pickup and I have to vouch. I own a 99 Tacoma and bought when it had 40,000 miles on it. It now has 162,000 and runs just as strong now. I've beaten and abused it on hunting trips. Went offroading and drove it across town in 15 inches of snow. It STILL gets 20 miles to the gallon.
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The "Green Hornet" a 99 Ford Ranger 4X4 I drive came complete with a REBUILT title and a LOW price tag. Some exceptional bargins can be found if you spend time looking for them. I've put almost 100,000 miles on that thing and it is like a Timex watch---"Takes a Licking and keeps on Ticking". Still gets 20 MPG---not bad for a V-6 and auto trans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links