Help on Voting

This is a discussion on Help on Voting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok sorry for the long post,. This is my first year voting. I need help. I told my self I would not vote until I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on Voting

Help on Voting

Ok sorry for the long post,. This is my first year voting. I need help. I told my self I would not vote until I was 21 and able to exercise all of my rights as an American. As I get closer to the date, I am getting confused on voting. I get advice from people to vote for what I believe in, Vote for which social class I fall under, and Vote for where it is going to affect you the most, your pocket. I was hoping I could get some advice.

Here is little about me, I am 21 years old. I live in MASS. I have a 2 year old son, I have a fiancé who is a stay at home mom. I make 40k a year. I am believed deeply in the second amendment. I drive 44 miles back and forth to work; gas is the biggest bill I have.

I guess my questions in a nut shell are how do you know that you are voting for the right person? And how do begin to place your self in a political party? Do you vote in hopes of changing your personal life style? If I was to vote for what I believe in I would vote republican, but how do you know you are doing the right thing? I am so confused.

If you guys who have been voting can give me some sound advice that would be awesome. I really am not looking for who I should vote for, because like I said I relate more to the Republican Party. But how do I know I am voting for the right reasons.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Frankly, your state is going to Obama, but don't let that stop you.

If you really want to vote pro gun, pro Second, vote Libertarian. If you want to keep the antis - who are generally, but not always, Democrats - out, vote Republican, who seem to be marginally better.

The NRA will tell you who is your best choice. "Your Official Pro-Gun Ballot" appears on the front of all the November magazines. It says McCain/Palin (R), Lamar Alexander (R), and John Tanner (D) for my area.

I'm a registered Libertarian. But I vote based on two issues at this point. "2A" is the primary.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Let you conscience be your guide. Vote for the candidate that addresses the issues that concern you, your family, and your class the most. One you believe by all outward appearances will do the best to maintain or better your status in the future, and maintain or improve the American way through your eyes. For some, it may be just one very important issue. For others, it may be the average of several issues. I've been a registered voter for about 20 years. I have voted in every general election since registering. I voted yesterday at my county courthouse. This is the first time I've voted via electronic ballot. Before, I've always been handed a paper ballot to fill in. You will be able to choose your party affiliation at the start, or they will ask you which ticket you'd like.....(rep, dem, ind, lib, etc.....). This doesn't necessarily mean you'll be voting a straight ticket, as some of your choices will be uncontested, or of a different party affiliation than what you choose for president. Local candidates/offices up for election or re-election will also be on your ballot if they apply to your area. In your case, if asked, you want a republican ticket, or you'll chose in the first step of your electronic ballot. How do you know you're doing the right thing? Any conscientious voter will know how the candidates stand and on what issues. Or, as previously mentioned, the NRA will let you know who the best choices are on one issue alone including your senators and representatives. As for most of us, history pretty much tells us whether we actually did the right thing or not later on down the road. Those who have a good track record in the past usually deserve our attention, but they can also fall from our graces. Most importantly, exercise one of your basic American rights and go vote. You may also seek Divine guidance at any time.

Administrator
    My advice is no matter what...do not get "cold feet" go and VOTE and you will feel great being part of the process and being counted.
    Even though the system sure could stand for a bit of good honest "fixin" ~ just do it.
    Trust me that if you are asking yourself the questions that you are asking right here in this thread - You're ALREADY more qualified to vote than 50% of all other Americans who do go to the polls and vote.

I am for the most part pro-choice everything, so the Libertarians are closest to me, but when there is basically only two parties that have a chance to get elected, I vote for what's most important to me and the person who is the closest to what I want and not the party they are from. When I first started voting, I was a Republican, because that's what my mom was and she had an influence on me at the time, now I think for myself and have an influence on my kids and try to keep them informed, but I never tell them who to vote for, but I hint alot.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I would say find a good source for info, not biased. I know of one but not sure if I can say it here, but they ask a set of questions are you for or against "X" topic and they report back if the candidates are for/against/no response and that is all they say, they will also list their associations (NRA, ACLU, ACLJ, etc.)

Find that source for you, carry that paper in the booth with you so you don't forget how you want to vote, since there are generally many ballots to case for local races, etc. It is your right to take your own notes in with you.

I also pray about each race I am voting for. I just have to remember to not pray for the person I want to win, but for God's will to be done. If you are not a religious person, then you can disregard this part of advice .
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My advice is no matter what...do not get "cold feet" go and VOTE and you will feel great being part of the process and being counted.
    Even though the system sure could stand for a bit of good honest "fixin" ~ just do it.
    Trust me that if you are asking yourself the questions that you are asking right here in this thread - You're ALREADY more qualified to vote than 50% of all other Americans who do go to the polls and vote.
    What QKShooter said! Do some research and be informed when you go to the polls, then use your 7th sense. Common Sense
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    Got to agree with what QKShooter said.
    You need to research the candidates. Try to decide which one holds views similar to yours. If it is an incumbent research their voting record on the issues that effect you. See if what they are saying now is backed by their voting record. It's easy for a candidate to give lip service, but how they have voted in the past will show where they really stand.
    The important thing is that you make an informed decision and get out and vote.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Here's some help with the "issues".
    OnTheIssues.org - Candidates on the Issues

Vote what is best for the country.

That would be following the constitution.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Read the party platforms. The democrats think the second amendment should be subject to regulation, whereas the Republicans support it unconditionally. The choice is clear.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    Here is where I get my news. I like the truth rather than Liberal Unreported News or Lib Left Slanted News.
    MichaelSavage.com - Home of The Savage Nation

The site gets so many hits it sometimes take a short while for the front page to load.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Here is where I get my news. I like the truth rather than Liberal Unreported News or Lib Left Slanted News.
    MichaelSavage.com - Home of The Savage Nation

The site gets so many hits it sometimes take a short while for the front page to load.
    I used to love to listen to Dr. Savages radio show, but my local station pulled it when he made the comments about autism.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Our local station here carries Savage, I agree with much of what he says but I think he is a little too angry about his views. There is deep concern for our nation and then there is rage, but then again maybe we need to be enraged to get some things cleaned up around here???
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Administrator
    I do not want to sidetrack this members thread with Savage so...I'll post this just for a few hours and then I'll delete it.
    The actual clips of Savage on Autism. As usual the left media hates him so much that he was taken completely out of context.
    20 audio clips of Michael Savage's comments on Autism.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links