Boy Dies After Shooting Accident

This is a discussion on Boy Dies After Shooting Accident within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is not good. The boy, i've heard, was under adult supervision by a firearms instructor who allowed this Uzi to get away from him ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boy Dies After Shooting Accident

This is not good. The boy, i've heard, was under adult supervision by a firearms instructor who allowed this Uzi to get away from him while firing.

Something stupid that should not have happened.

Boy Dies After Shooting Accident | CBS 3 - Springfield's New Choice For Local News | Local News

A child dies after being rushed to the hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the head at a local sportsman's club.
    The accident happened during a manhine-gun shoot at the Westfield Sportsman's Club around 2pm on Sunday.
    That's off Montgomery Road in the north end of the city, near the high school.
    Police say the 8-year-old accidentally shot himself in the right side of his head on the club's firing range.
    Westfield paramedics responded and raced the child to Baystate Medical Center for treatment.
    Police stopped traffic along the entire route from Westfield to the Baystate E-R, hoping to give the child the best chance of survival.
    According to police, when they arrived at the scene, the boy was lying on the ground with a gunshot wound to the right side of his head.
    Witnesses say the boy was shooting a fully automatic Uzi down range when the force of the weapon made it travel back toward his head.
    The Westfield Sportsman's Club was holding its annual Great New England Pumpkin Shoot when it happened.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I don't know the rules on full autos but this incident will be bad in a lot of ways. Bad for family, bad for range, bad for person that was sharing Uzi, etc..

I support the 2A. I support the right of people to own a full auto.

I support sending the ignorant SOB who had an 8 year old shooting a fully automatic UZI going to prison.

Seriously, this was a kid who was most likely nowhere near able to control this weapon on full auto but with the entirely human natural reaction of clutching down with full force for dear life when frightened. So that with a full auto weapon and bad things can and will happen.

The person who was running this monkey hump needs to suffer.

Musketeer - While I agree with you I find it very distrubing that so many people proclaim that under 2A that same 8 Year Old has the right to walk down main street with that same UZI slung over his shoulder. Many proclaim it is his parent's right to determine if he is physically and mentally capable of handling it. We see where this gets us and only after a parent makes a bad decision do we want to act. Punishing the parents or gun owner now doesn't help this little boy one bit.

I wouldn't say an 8 year old has all the rights in the COTUS since there has always been age limitations to fully enact some rights.

You are right, no amount of punishment will bring this poor kid back. Parents have a right to be stupid, and should be held criminally accountable should that stupidity result in harm to their criminally negligent children. Part of a free society means being free to make mistakes and I would not trade that for the opposite type of society.

Who knows what the parents were thinking though. The parent could have been there with their own full autos or the parent could have come to this open invite and stood there as an "expert" told them this was perfectly safe under their supervision.

I do know one adult was responsible for that firearm, the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Musketeer - While I agree with you I find it very distrubing that so many people proclaim that under 2A that same 8 Year Old has the right to walk down main street with that same UZI slung over his shoulder. Many proclaim it is his parent's right to determine if he is physically and mentally capable of handling it. We see where this gets us and only after a parent makes a bad decision do we want to act. Punishing the parents or gun owner now doesn't help this little boy one bit.

i've never heard anyone say it was a good idea for an 8 year old to carry an UZi with full auto capabilities. no 8 year old should be shooting something that nasty. it's one thing to take my son to the range to learn on a .22 pistol or rifle, but i'd never hand him an automatic weapon. that was supreme stupidity on everyone's part. a boy was punished for someone else's stupidity, they should be punished for the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    ...Part of a free society means being free to make mistakes and I would not trade that for the opposite type of society.

Who knows what the parents were thinking though. The parent could have...stood there as an "expert" told them this was perfectly safe under their supervision.

I do know one adult was responsible for that firearm, the owner.
    Agreed Musketeer.

With 'freedom' comes responsibility and sacrifice and there is nothing perfectly safe anywhere as freedom and everything else has an associated degree of risk.

As to the parent(s)/guardian(s) they clearly were not thinking rationally, which itself in America is protected and allowed by our freedoms. We all have the right to act like a tool and by that make mistakes. Not to say that along with those freedoms there are not laws, very specific laws, which penalize those who misuse or abuse said freedoms by purpose of intent or as in this case plain ignorance and being unthinking.

In this case there were not one but two adults responsible.
    First and foremost the childs parent(s)/guardian(s) who on site allowed this child in that specific instance to take hold of the firearm.
    Second level but equal responsibility also falls on to the shoulders of the adult person who handed that boy the firearm thinking that hey this is okay and is a good idea.

I'd have no problem with this _if_ the UZI had been semi-auto only.
    The key and significant variable that was a problem is that it was full auto, which in turn greatly reduced the safety factor as associated specifically to this childs handling of it even as he might otherwise have been knowledgeable of firearms in general.

Terrible and this should have never occurred, and could very easily have been avoided if only one of two adults had taken it upon themselves to use their brain and think (!).

This situation is to my mind negligent homicide (firearms owner/handler) and/or child endangerment (childs parent and the firearms owner/handler).

- Janq is a recently former member of the Westfield Sportsman's Club
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow, Massachusetts is such an anti-gun state already. I find it almost impossible to believe that someone had a legally owned Uzi in MA.

Tragic accident & mistake, no doubt. Hard to imagine a grown adult allowing this type of situation, but human beings do, in fact, make serious mistakes occasionally.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Wow, Massachusetts is such an anti-gun state already. I find it almost impossible to believe that someone had a legally owned Uzi in MA.

Tragic accident & mistake, no doubt. Hard to imagine a grown adult allowing this type of situation, but human beings do, in fact, make serious mistakes occasionally.

-
    Not sure if they still do, but the Kennedy bodyguards use to carry Uzi's.

I agree what happened was both tragic and stupid. 2 adults failed this boy. His parents/guardian and the individual who gave him the weapon. Both should face charges over his death. However I have a sneaky suspicion only the gun owner will face charges.
    Hopefully someone will keep us posted with updates on this one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post

I support sending the ignorant SOB who had an 8 year old shooting a fully automatic UZI going to prison.

+1.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i've never heard anyone say it was a good idea for an 8 year old to carry an UZi with full auto capabilities. no 8 year old should be shooting something that nasty. it's one thing to take my son to the range to learn on a .22 pistol or rifle, but i'd never hand him an automatic weapon. that was supreme stupidity on everyone's part. a boy was punished for someone else's stupidity, they should be punished for the result.
    I have never heard anyone say it was a good idea just that it is their right. I have seen many staunch 2A proponents post on this subject that any limitations should be left to the parents. There are extremes on boths sides of 2A as well as all other "rights". Some equate "any" restrictions on gun carry to be the same as seat belts, motorcycle helmets or drunk driving, an illegal intrusion into the rights of the individual.

Some feel that laws should only be reactive rather than proactive. In other words you can drive as drunk as you want to as long as you don't wreck or carry any gun you want as long as you don't murder someone. In a way it is hard to argue with them. In the referenced case would we have found any fault at all with what the adults did if the boy had not been shot? How about if they had video taped him and put it on youtube. Everyone would be talking about how amazing he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    A non MA resident can bring MA state banned firearms in to the state for purpose of participation in sporting events, such as this.
    I'd guess that the owner of the firearm is from out of state and the firearm came with for this specific event.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Having shot several FA firearms in my life I would never put a full auto in an 8 year olds hands,at that age a 22 rifle is sufficient and I was 9 yoa before dad took me out with his
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sad, sad day. My thoughts go out to the family of the boy and all those involved.

The range safety rules failed. Accidents and injuries do happen, but a thorough look into why they failed is in order. Poor judgment and oversight on the part of the instructor and range safety officer may only be part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    How about if they had video taped him and put it on youtube. Everyone would be talking about how amazing he was.
    the only thing i'd be thinking of is how stupid it was to let an 8 year handle a full auto uzi.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links