Drew down on a masked Bandit last night

This is a discussion on Drew down on a masked Bandit last night within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Actually around 3am this morning. I awoke to the sound of my dogs going crazy at the back door. I grabbed my S&W 457 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew down on a masked Bandit last night

Drew down on a masked Bandit last night

Actually around 3am this morning. I awoke to the sound of my dogs going crazy at the back door. I grabbed my S&W 457 and headed to the door to see what was going on. Lo and behold, there was a huge raccoon on the porch eating the dog food that my two companions had left. I grabbed the dog's tennis ball, and after my wife got hold of the dogs, I stepped out the door and threw it at the masked intruder. I narrowly missed hitting him in the head, but it did the job and he took off for the woods. I hooked the screen door and we went back to bed. Oh, I forgot to mention my wife had my back, with her Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with gold dots.

2. Remove Ads

I really don't like raccoons, their areas of my porch and deck peppered with #4 shot to prove it. Once the kids left the coop door open all night and the coons went on a killing spree. Couldn't just go in and take one chicken for dinner, had to do the slaughter scene.
    It'll be back looking for that dog food again, have a (no) heart trap and .22 shot between its masked eyes works well. Careful I've seen then bust out of a caged trap before, nasty vicious critters they are.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

JUst as the NRA tells us. Often, just the presents of a weapon will scare intruders off. Look like a crime of opportunity though.

Senior Moderator
    If he knows food is there he'll chew through the screen to get it. Nothing is smarter or more determined than a hungry raccoon
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Man, you country boys have all the fun. The worst thing I can see around my house is a displaced coyote, and he better have a HOA membership to be wandering around.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I had a huge Koi in my pond a few years ago. It mysteriously disappeared one night. Koi are not flying fish so we figured that a coon had got it. Sort of cute, fun to watch, but a real pest sometimes. We had a skunk that was eating our cat food outside for a while. If I catch a possum doing it, it's history!

When I was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, we had alot of HUGE coons out at the range that I instructed at. We weren't allowed to bother them. The damn privates kept them well fed with MRE scraps. Would have loved to have made a good coon stew, with the size of them, would have fed the cadre at least two days.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

This reminds of a time a few years back... I woke up to the dog barking one Sunday morning and I looked out the window and saw that the my dog ran three young raccoons up a tree. I told the wife "if those coons are still in that tree when we get back from church, they're toast"... I guess you can figure out what happened.
    My dog usually takes care of business herself, but just recently she tangled with one and it ended up costing me $150 getting my dog stitched up... I guess she's loosing her touch

I once attended a dinner put on by the Tennessee Coon Hunters Association. I gotta admit that barbecued coon is pretty good!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I once attended a dinner put on by the Tennessee Coon Hunters Association. I gotta admit that barbecued coon is pretty good!!
    Yeah as long as you barbeque it in gasoline ... YUK!

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

funny timing for you to mention the masked bandits. The local masked bandits here managed to get into my trash (wind so strong it blew over a full can). Needless to say they spread it around all over the place.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

They are also a major carrier of rabies so watch out folks.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Yeah, we've got them too, I haven't bothered them since they've never hurt anything. We have a fig tree right by our house. When the figs are ripe the coons come and fill up during the night. They climb up the tree and actually get on the roof of the house and will wake us up by running across the roof. With their bellies full they leave little "piles" of evidence nearby (as thanks?) then venture back in the woods til the next night. I'd already posted about this prior, here is the link with pics of three apparent littermates all in a tree at once. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-fig-tree.html

We also leave a game cam in the woods year-round, and once a week we pour a little corn on the ground and switch out the SD card. It's a lot of fun to look at each weeks batch of photos.........cardinals, squirrels, bobcat, turkey, coyote, deer, armadillo, possum, coons, and crows. I attached a game cam pic that had four coons in it at once. Actually I think I have a pic that had more, but can't seem to find it.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

How come those four coons don't have any holes in them?
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Yuk yuk yuk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links