Man Shot in Head Drives to Work, Hospital

This is a discussion on Man Shot in Head Drives to Work, Hospital within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thats one bad Dude. What Bill you got a headache screw you i got a bullet in my head. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180206,00.html Man Shot in Head Drives ...

Thread: Man Shot in Head Drives to Work, Hospital

Thats one bad Dude.

What Bill you got a headache screw you i got a bullet in my head.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180206,00.html

Friday, December 30, 2005

PORT ORANGE, Fla. — A man who woke up and found his head bleeding, drove to work and left a note for his boss before going to the hospital to find he had a bullet lodged in his brain, authorities said. His girlfriend later apparently killed herself when contacted by police.
    When Glen Thomas Betterley, 53, noticed the blood Thursday morning he asked Emma Lorene Larsen if she had struck him. Larsen, 65, said she didn't know.
    He cleaned himself up and laid down to rest, but when the bleeding wouldn't stop he drove to work, left the note and then went to Hallifax Medical Center's emergency room, where he learned he had been shot in the forehead. He was in stable condition Friday.
    While Betterley was being treated, police called Larsen and heard a single gunshot. When investigators arrived at the home, they found Larsen dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot to the head. They are calling the case an aggravated battery and apparent suicide. Police won't say what caliber of gun was used.
    Betterley's reaction to the bullet in his brain is not that uncommon, a doctor said.
    "I've had patients with knives in their heads, screwdrivers in their heads, lawn darts, small-caliber gunshot wounds to the head, where patients have been awake and talking," said Dr. Jonathan Greenberg, a neurosurgeon at Orlando Regional Medical Center. "The question is how important is the area that is damaged?"
    As long as a low-caliber bullet doesn't hit any major blood vessels or enters what is called a "non-eloquent" area of the brain — an area that doesn't have a specific, major assigned function — then a person can survive a seemingly serious gunshot to the head.
    He said doctors don't even have to remove the bullet from a patient's brain and that it's just a matter of repairing the damaged area.
    "It's because you have to weigh the risk of causing damage to the brain in the process of removing the bullet," Greenberg said.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    As long as a low-caliber bullet doesn't hit any major blood vessels or enters what is called a "non-eloquent" area of the brain ? an area that doesn't have a specific, major assigned function ? then a person can survive a seemingly serious gunshot to the head.
    That pretty much sums it up. I'll bet is was small cal tho - and yet she managed to cap herself satisfactorily it seems!!

Fortunate guy - in I'd say two distinctly different respects.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

if she would have used a 45

Administrator

Thumbs up Interesting

I had a photo uploaded to the forum gallery of a young girl awake on a hospital ER room table with a Dart stuck in her forehead & I almost posted it here but, then decided that it might prompt folks to post gunshot head wounds so I decided to delete it.

Interesting thread though.
    Remember the story of the one construction worker that got a full length construction nail from a nail gut shot all the way into the top of his skull ???? & he was just fine AKA NORMAL...after they removed it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Yeah lets stay away from the gory pics

They were talking on raido of a guy took 9 in the head guess someones gun went full auto nail gun that is

Lead Moderator
    Bet it was a .22 or .380. I've seen pictures of folks with arrows and other items sticking out of their heads. And there was that famous case of the miner that got the tamping rod blown through his head and lived. (Changed his personality though.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

While Betterley was being treated, police called Larsen and heard a single gunshot. When investigators arrived at the home, they found Larsen dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot to the head. They are calling the case an aggravated battery and apparent suicide.
    Funny how she couldn't finish him off but nailed her shot the first time. Ironic.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Now there is a man that SOMEBODY must have big plans for, I would have to say if he wasn't to start he is now a very religious man.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Links