Polls

This is a discussion on Polls within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was just wondering how many of the members here have ever been polled in a presidential election. I have never been polled!...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polls

Polls

I was just wondering how many of the members here have ever been polled in a presidential election. I have never been polled!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Not yet this time around, but I was polled in 2000. Random call.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I've been polled in this election.

I've been polled before over the phone....been years ago. Long as I've been a registered voter though....no jury duty. What's my favorite brand of cigarettes...............? LOL!

wpk
    They tried to poll me but I told them I wasn't interested in participating. I don't enjoy talking to people I don't know on the phone.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

I always put the phone up against the TV speaker and walk away.

Does that count?

They've tried to poll me this election, and twice last time.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I get called for polls and just tell them I don't do polls.

VIP Member
    57 years old and never been polled, or called for jury duty. Either I'm very luck, or they get tired before getting down to the "R's" in the alphabet.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't answer the phone unless I know who's leaving a message, then I may pick up.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I don't answer polls, and my grandmother is czech.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Never been polled for a presidential election, but I have been selected for jury duty three times in the last 8 years.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't answer polls, and my grandmother is czech.
    I actually got that one.

I have never been polled. I was in Singapore a few years ago, managed to not get canned either.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    This year is a first for me - I have been polled by Rasmussen on three occasions. I have also been polled by local political organizations. As far as jury duty, I have, in the past, been called but never placed on a jury - neither side wants anyone with a background in law enforcement. Now a days I'm to old for them to call. :)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I find this thread most interesting. It is extraordinarily difficult to design a statistical experiment that will use a random distribution for an accurate poll. The fact that so many in our small forum have been polled is evidence of the weakness of the polls we see on the news every day.

It takes as few as 1000 people to represent tens of millions of voters to within a few percentage points IF they are chosen carefully. The truth is that the polling organizations simply call random phone numbers and choose different numbers if people hang up, refuse to answer, or are simply disconnected. That sampling methodology is flawed. Exit polls are similarly worthless.

The polls today, and even more statistically flawed is the average of polls, are meaningless. They are for entertainment value only. They give the media an opportunity to propagandize the people.

It takes many months and really hard work to perform a truly random statistically sample. None of these polls are even close to accurate, which is why I will not be surprised when McCain wins the election. Sure, he may lose but it will not be because the polling as been mathematically sound.

Never been asked in 62 years, 9 states and 3 countries! They can't keep up with me!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links