Who here lives in Oklahoma?

This is a discussion on Who here lives in Oklahoma? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Curious about Oklahoma; What do you like about living in Oklahoma? What do you not like about living there? I live in Alabama & I'm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here lives in Oklahoma?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Who here lives in Oklahoma?

Curious about Oklahoma;
    What do you like about living in Oklahoma?

What do you not like about living there?

I live in Alabama & I'm considering a relocation for employment & would like to know more about Oklahoma.

Thanks in advance.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Curious about Oklahoma;
    What do you like about living in Oklahoma?

What do you not like about living there?

I live in Alabama & I'm considering a relocation for employment & would like to know more about Oklahoma.

Thanks in advance.
    Welll...saw gas for $1.95. Housing is relatively cheap, traffic generally low, but have to drive as very little public transportation. Weather generally good. Most important...strong pro-gun state.

Not like...roads are poor along with very poor drivers. Flat and windy, public schools ranked below average, little direct flights to anywhere.

Rick

Thanks for the quick reply Rick. I like the Strong Pro-Gun part. Is it a strong Christian Family values kind of state too?

Also - any suggestions \ links for someone looking for employment there?

Any part of Oklahoma you'd recommend living in over any other parts?

VIP Member
    Depends on where your looking at relocating to in OK. I lived there for 18 years before moving to VA. My wife is from west central OK. Her home sat right on old Route 66. We lived in SW Oklahoma, about 50 miles west of Lawton. If you like flat land and hot weather and lots of wind, SW OK is for you. If your looking for employment with the government you have Ft Sill there in Lawton of Altus AFB in Altus, which is where I was. OK City is in the center of the state, you have Tinker AFB there for employment possibilities. SE OK is pretty, and you have the Ozarks there, plenty of good hunting in that part of the state. NE is rolling hills and green, puts you in the Tulsa area. Not sure what the employment is like there. NW OK is some rough lands, broken country, has it's own kind of appeal. Not to much industry in that area from what I remember.
    What I like was the friendliness of the people, plenty of hunting opportunity. State has numerous WMA that are open for public hunting. Lifetime hunting and fishing licenses are true lifetime. Even if you move out of state it is still valid, unlike many states.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    ArmyCop:

I was born here and have lived here over 90% of my life.

Yes, it's an extremely pro-Christian/pro-family, pro-traditional values, very conservative kind of place. I've heard it called the Buckle of the Bible Belt - - a VERY "red" state. That is particularly true in and around Oklahoma City. A liberal Democrat in Oklahoma politics would be regarded as a moderate Republican in most of the rest of the country.

While I might not chalk that aspect of my great Sooner State as far over in the "positive" column as you may, you'll notice that I haven't left and don't plan on going anywhere else to live. Ever.

There is a lot less tension (notice, I said "a lot less", not "none whatsoever") between the urban centers (Oklahoma City and Tulsa) and the rural parts of the State (everywhere else, for the most part).

It's not like Virginia or Illinois where you have a (very liberal) urban center in one part of the State that does its best to ride roughshod over its less-enlightened brethren from less populated areas.

Lots of public land available for hunting, and that is SUPER if you like upland and small game hunting (I do).

The Department of Wildlife Conservation has enacted some screwy rules regarding what kind of deer you can shoot where and when- - it essentially has made two different sets of deer seasons, one for private land (which is just overrun with deer the size of large dogs) and one for public land (which gets a lot of hunting pressure). The landowners (and consequently, the ODWC) are begging people to kill off those "Doberman Does" on private land, while the ODWC still tightly restricts the average sportsman's ability to take a doe on public land.

A lot of stuff is pretty cheap compared to other parts of the country (land, gasoline, the cost of living generally), and the people are friendly.

As far as jobs go, OKC is probably the best source of employment, followed by Tulsa.

You would want to avoid living on the north side of Tulsa. It's a strange kind of self-perpetuating source of crime. I don't know why. No one does. Reminds me of some places in Stephen King books from which evil just emanates.

The summers can be hot (but coming from Alabama, I doubt they'd be hotter) and the winters are usually pretty short. It can get surprisingly cold during those winters, but not for very long and only once or twice a winter.

And, as is probably readily apparent, it's pretty pro-gun.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I've lived in Oklahoma since 92, but was stationed here (Fort Sill) twice before that. The weather is hot during the summer, but at least here in the SW part of the state the winters tend to be mild. Rarely get any snow. As someone else mentiod this is often called "The Buckle of the Bible Belt".

You might want to check out the following web site:
    ACPOL/CPOL Homepage: Army Civilian Personnel On-Line
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

So....what's wrong with Arkansas? NW Arkansas. I'm about 18 miles from the border of Oklahoma around the Ft Smith area. Ft Chaffee is close and then there's some Air Force here also. Seemingly good outlooks for jobs other than some factories. Bentonville is the home of Wal Mart, and Wal Mart is probably the biggest employer in the state and if you're looking into something like a loss prevention job...well. The Ft Smith PD seems to have openings every other month or so, plenty of security companies etc. Bentonville to Ft Smith spans about 80 miles, and for any central location, you could live in any of several small towns in between or be way out in the country with a very short drive. Pro Christian (we are in the Bible belt), pro-gun, friendly folks, low crime, plenty of lakes and rivers, WMA's, public and private shooting ranges, beautiful scenery (we have real hills and mountains here-part of the Ozarks), lots of cultural activities....festival..and fairs, decent weather (Oklahoma always gets the bad stuff then we get the left-overs), plenty of good terrain for bugging out where even a search by airplane or helicopter couldn't find you (we have caves also). All in all, Arkansas is known to be one of those states that if it were to close it's borders and secede from the union, would be self sufficient due to it's vast amounts of natural resources and infrastructure. I'm not talking it up for nothing--heck--it used to be known as 'the land of opportunity'....now it's known as 'the natural state'. Both of those mottos fit it very well, but to be realistic-it's God's country here.
    Introduction to Arkansas - The United States of America
    http://www.swtimes.com/classifieds/
    Fort Smith Police Department - Home Page FortSmithPD.org
    Fort Chaffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Arkansas hunting - Arkansas wildlife, hunting vacation
    City of Bentonville, Arkansas
    The City of Fayetteville, Arkansas-Welcome
    City of Fort Smith, AR > Home

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    So....what's wrong with Arkansas?
    Huhhhh...the Clintons are from there :))

Really AC...a lot depends on what kind of job you are looking for. But as in the cost of living is generally low...so are the wages. Additionally, growth is a bit slower here, pockets of layoffs, but also hiring...so we tend to weather the downturns a bit better than most. Good luck in whatever endeavor you choose...remember, there is always Arkansas as a second choice. Besides, we have a better football team...wait, I mean we have two better football teams:))

Rick

I spent four years away in the Navy and came right back. I live in the NE part of the state and love it. Randy was pointing out the smaller liberal areas in large cities. I don't get to OKC very often but Tulsa is ok. Brookside has got it's far share of hippies, and north Tulsa leaves some to be desired. But, the town I live in, Bartlesville, is great. 35,000 people, home to ConocoPhillips, and 6 gunshops in a 25 mile radius! Really, I Love Oklahoma. The people are nice, the weather is differant, and there is really alot to do.
    God Bless America!!

I grew up there and intend to go back when my inner gypsy is tired of moving every couple of years. As previously stated, the people rock. You simply will not find a friendlier group of folks.

Hunting--Enid is home to the Grand National Quail Hunt, so you can guess what the quail hunting is like. My dad says they are currently overrun with whitetails, and dove hunting is usually pretty good, too.

The bad is that small-town politics can get pretty inbred sometimes. Weather can get a little sporty sometimes with the tornadoes. Summers are hot and winters get downright chilly when the north wind blows through. The good news is that it doesn't stay cold long.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

I'm originally a Hillbilly from east of Nashville, TN and love the small town atmosphere. However, I spent four years in Oklahoma City while in the Air Force. I had an opportunity to travel ALL OVER Oklahoma, Kansas, and Western Missouri. I wouldn't hesitate to live in Oklahoma City and surrounding area and/or Tulsa and the NE part of the state. Great folks, relaxed atmosphere, good family oriented area. I'd vote YES and give it a shot.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I am a US Navy brat, my father was on active duty for 26+ years. I lived in almost every state on the eastern seaboard and 3 years in Hawaii. I found myself in NC after college and thought I would never leave. I met my wife about 7 years ago. She is from Oklahoma. I moved here about 6 years ago. Of all of the places I have ever lived, I have never been around friendlier people than here in OK.

The cost of living is terrific, property taxes are very reasonable and real estate is available. We live on 25 acres within the city limits of OKC.

The biggest adjustment for me was the wind! It is ALWAYS windy here, ALWAYS. I was an avid cyclist (200-250 miles per week) in NC and the wind just took all the fun out of it here.

I am not sure what kind of work you are seeking, but I would recommend looking into OK more. As other posters have stated, it is a very gun friendly state, with conservative family values. Overall it is a great place to call home.

Can your child leave their bike in the yard overnight - unlocked - and it still be there in the morning? Same for lawnmower? Anyplace still like that?

The only down fall of Oklahoma is, if you have asthma problems this is not the place to live. I think it's #3 in the nation for the worse place to live if you suffer from asthma.

I didn't have allergies and i've lived all over the US, now that I live in Tulsa I have allergies year round..
    Read my story.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ed-1994-a.html

Pictures in page 5 & 6

Yup, ArmyCop. I left my windows down on my truck one time and and ALL of my hunting stuff was still in there. My garage door up all night, nothing gone. I live in town also. Of course there is crime, but not that bad at all around here.
    God Bless America!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links