Ebay Question

This is a discussion on Ebay Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The last itme I used EBay, I sold a Breyer model horse for $4. No biggy, didn't expect it to go for much. The buyer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Question

Ebay Question

The last itme I used EBay, I sold a Breyer model horse for $4. No biggy, didn't expect it to go for much.

The buyer took their sweet time sending me the MO, no biggy, an email was sent asking if I took PP and I said no. So MO came in about 2 weeks (from Alaska).

My wife took apart a priority mail box and turned it inside out in order to mail her sold breyer to the buyer. On the MO was the note of $4 plus 6.67 amount priority shipping. Only, the amount included was for parcel post (priority was 9.80)... So that is the way we shipped it. (we prefer Priority, hence the extra box).

Turns out, this takes forever to get to alaska and the Post Office up there made the buyer pat an extra amount to get the package because it was a turned inside out priority box. Now the buyer is asking for the additional amount back... $4.80

Would you pay it? I shipped the way it was paid for. And other than not being smart enough to realize you couldn't turn the boxes inside out, I don't think I owe them a thing.

Your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    The last itme I used EBay, I sold a Breyer model horse for $4. No biggy, didn't expect it to go for much.

The buyer took their sweet time sending me the MO, no biggy, an email was sent asking if I took PP and I said no. So MO came in about 2 weeks (from Alaska).

My wife took apart a priority mail box and turned it inside out in order to mail her sold breyer to the buyer. On the MO was the note of $4 plus 6.67 amount priority shipping. Only, the amount included was for parcel post (priority was 9.80)... So that is the way we shipped it. (we prefer Priority, hence the extra box).

Turns out, this takes forever to get to alaska and the Post Office up there made the buyer pat an extra amount to get the package because it was a turned inside out priority box. Now the buyer is asking for the additional amount back... $4.80

Would you pay it? I shipped the way it was paid for. And other than not being smart enough to realize you couldn't turn the boxes inside out, I don't think I owe them a thing.

Your thoughts?
    I'm working on a link, since they seem to use session ID's for everything you may just have to search for it yourself.

At usps.gov search under express mail supplies.

Express Mail / Priority Mail supplies are offered free of charge and are available at most Post Offices™.

Note: Any matter mailed in USPS®-provided Express Mail / Priority Mail packaging is charged the appropriate Express Mail / Priority Mail price, regardless of how the packaging is reconfigured (turned inside out) or how the markings are obliterated.
    IMO you are at fault.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

So you're trying to get a free shipping box??? Why do you think they have non-priority boxes for sale hanging on the wall? Almost sounds like theft.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Hard to tell if you're not there. How do you actually know the P.O. asked for an extra fee for receiving the box? I guess the USPS thinks they own the box forever despite what you did to make the box your own by turning it inside out. Personally, I've found the flat rate shipping boxes to be a lot cheaper in shipping things compared to weight of items. Since the transaction has been made and shipment received (verifiable) by the recipient, your EBay transaction has been fulfilled. You buyer can however leave negative feedback for the transaction on your EBay account for any reason. The Alaskan P.O. may see some sort of opportunity here as they have nothing better to do than watch caribou run over the snow drifts. It's hard to tell. I would contact the post master general, or get the scoop on the box ordeal. Mean time, depending on your current EBay status, I'd go ahead and pay the difference tot he buyer so long as you can verify it was charged. Not worth ruining your Ebay reputation for some piddly BS IMO...you may be able to work it out in the future. Everyone that uses EBay for purchases IS looking for a bargain...shipping included. I always do. Unexpected charges no matter how small would be an un-welcomed surprise to anyone. In the end, I don't think you are legally liable for the extra charges. But I think if you continue to sell items on EBay, your reputation will speak for itself and it may be worth retaining a good rating in this case. We all live and learn...I know I have when it comes to the shipping department. Sometimes you gain, sometimes you loose, but once you know the ins and outs, you'll be gaining all of the time and give your buyers fair shipping charges that can be calculated before the deal where they will pick you over others and their overly expensive charges for shipping. I look at a lot of items on EBay, and most of the time a bargain means factoring in the total after shipping unless I can't find the item anywhere else. Lots of times I've been charged more in shipping than the item is selling for. I guess a buyer should expect that every now and then, especially if the item comes from Hong Kong. Pay it, take a loss, and make up for it in the future.

The issue RamRod is the box. They sell boxes at the Post Office, or you can bring in your own for free. They provide Priority Mail boxes which are included in the increased Priority shipping charge. What the OP is doing is converting a part of a shipping package into a free container for his personal use, without payment.

VIP Member
    If you plan on continuing to use e-bay I would go ahead and pay. Lesson learned, make sure in the future to specify mode of shipment that will be used, and that winner pays all shipping fees.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wow, I had no clue they'd nab you for an inside out priority box.

Taught me something new, and I've been eBaying for quite some time now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I have a few boxes left over from a failed business attempt. I will just burn the rest of them and be done with it.

I am not worried about my Ebay reputation. When these last three items tanked (they were a test run), I closed the Ebay account and just recently I figured out how to close my PP account.

My point is: Other than not knowing about the box, I fullfilled my duties. Or did I not?

jfl
    If you don't care about your Ebay feedback, don't worry about it.
    Are they going to sue you for $5 I don't think so
    I have received many inside-out boxes, never had a question from the P.O.

Good luck and 73
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

E-Bay???

I don't even look at E-Bay anymore. They are 100% anti-gun.
    illegitimati non carborundum
    Big bullet=Big Hole

Administrator
    For that amount I'd pay them the $4.80 since you were at fault AKA that you can't use the free Priority Mail boxes to ship any other way than Priority Mail.

Your buyer is obviously a real cheapo jerk that can't be satisfied that he got a good deal but, that is not the issue.

That is what I would do.
    You win on some and you lose on some and a few get rained out.

The next item that you list on Ebay...ask $5.00 more for it than you would normally want.

There won't be a next time.

I'm tired of cheap arses that aren't happy with what they are buying, and whine about every little thing.

Quote Originally Posted by capnjim View Post
    I don't even look at E-Bay anymore. They are 100% anti-gun.
    same here

Priority box inside out? How do they know it wasn't a used box? I've re-used priority boxes before, I wrapped them in brown paper is all. Never had a problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KG4ZRC View Post
    There won't be a next time.

I'm tired of cheap arses that aren't happy with what they are buying, and whine about every little thing.
    You STOLE that box, same as if you stole a roll of tape or stamps. It wasn't your buyer complaining, but the post office.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links