What's The Best Smart Phone out There?

This is a discussion on What's The Best Smart Phone out There? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm in the market for one and I need opinions. I need something UNLOCKED so don't suggest the iphone blackberry curve. I have looked at ...

Thread: What's The Best Smart Phone out There?

I'm in the market for one and I need opinions. I need something UNLOCKED so don't suggest the iphone blackberry curve. I have looked at the Nokia N95 8GB and now the N96. I've also looked at the Treo pro and I think that's what I'm leaning towards. What would you all suggest? Gota have wifi.

2. Remove Ads

I have had two phones made by HTC. I would suggest checking some of their phones out. Otherwise the Palm software is good, I don't personally like it but others do. Blackberry's are good, and you can get a worldphone that is unlocked.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am so in love with my Blackberry Curve that I stopped looking at other brands.

Why must it be unlocked? I think Blackberries can be unlocked, but not 100% sure.

Now if Glock would just make Blackberrys...
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I just want a phone that I can make/take calls from, check my messages, and is waterproof. I know there are Nokias out there water resistant, but not in a standard phone (no push to talk). I've got a digital camera that I can take underwater over 100'...why can't they make a phone that doesn't fry out if it falls in the toilet?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have a Samsung "Sliver" or whatever their version of it was..

I left it outside in the rain all night last Sunday, the speaker was really low volume for a while, then it worked perfectly the next day. I have to say, thats a first.

And I mean POURING rain for like 18 hours straight :P

Iphone's can be unlocked. They released the new jailbreak(allows for installation of third party apps) for them. Im assuming thats what you meant?

VIP Member
    I am too ignorant of the technology to understand what locked and unlocked means; we do have a store here that sells unlocked phones-- but of course not iphones.

In any case, I have an iPhone 3G and have very mixed feelings about it. Photo function is very nice. Safari browser seems iffy, 3G connectivity is spotty when you travel--even sometimes in town. Most hotels do provide WiFi, which iPhone can utilize, but there are security issues.

The GPS module could be better, but has some very nice features. I'll buy a dedicated auto-GPS for my next long trip and bring both. The one on the iPhone is great for planning a trip and for locating stuff like gas, hotels, food, Walmart. Its big failing is that it doesn't display mileage, names of cities and towns, or coordinates; and it burns through battery life rapidly. I think some add on applets will be available after market.

The text message module works well but I am not used to it.

The e-mail is OK, once you get used to the key entry (buy an appropriate after market stylus).

The clock, alarm, world clock are nice.

I actually haven't used the phone on my iphone all that much...my other cell phone, an el-cheapo bottom of the line Samsung does that part well. I do like the on-board voice mail system that is built in.

I think they tried to be just a little too clever and pack just a little too much into one device.

Anyone not being used by the effin moron driving in front of me!!!!!

VIP Member

Cell phone use and driving should be illegal

Quote Originally Posted by chipperi View Post
    Anyone not being used by the effin moron driving in front of me!!!!!
    Cell phone use and driving should be illegal everywhere. It is not illegal in Texas, and I constantly encounter folks who are in their own little world and not paying attention to their driving.

You'd think the insurance industry would lobby vigorously to make it illegal to use a hand-held cell.

I was once foolish enough to try that while driving a stick shift. My G-d!! I was an arm too few.

For us, I think cell phone use in public is a distraction from situational awareness.

It's illegal to use a hand-held phone in CA (since July), but I have not noticed a great decline of drivers with their hand next to their ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You'd think the insurance industry would lobby vigorously to make it illegal to use a hand-held cell.
    They did studies and the cell phone distraction problem has very little to do with the physical act of holding the phone. There is a little bit, like the stick shift problem you mentioned, caused by head cocked or one less appendage to use in an emergency, but mostly it is the fact that the driver is devoting a significant portion of their attention to the call instead of the driving.

That means, hands-free devices aren't the big life saver we thought they were (and the laws forcing people to switch to those are only good to sell equipment, not save lives). If you want to cut down on distracted drivers, get the distractions out of the car. I still see more accidents because of portable music devices loose in the car, then I see cell phone distracted driver accidents.

Outlaw GPSs, cell phones, make-up bags, etc. and then move all the controls for anything not driver specific to the back seat, like the control for the radio, CD player, etc. If the driver is alone, make him pull over to swap CDs instead of allowing him to continue to plow down the road while looking at the entertainment center.

Links