Would you run for political office? - Page 3

Would you run for political office?

This is a discussion on Would you run for political office? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking into it myself. Trying to figure out which level I really want to start at city or state....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am looking into it myself. Trying to figure out which level I really want to start at city or state.

About the most political aspirations I have are chairing the board of my church, and I only have 1 more year left of that.

"mule-headedness, blunt to a fault, intolerant of azz kissing & kissers, slow to change, quick to decide/act, etc."

That about sums me up all too well... So I don't think I would do well.

No one wants an honest politician that will tell you like it is in so many words.

Yes, I've thought about it alot. I'm 25 and plan an educating myself more and finding the place to start. I won't lie, cheat, or steal. If because of that I don't get elected, so be it...I'll never run again.
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If God were to make it abuntantly clear that I HAD to, I would. But that would take some convincing (angel hosts at least, not just a burning bush).

And it might not fly real well on the campaign trail, telling people how I decided to run.

Sigh. Thing is, I feel I could probably do a pretty good job of it in terms of integrity and doing what is right. But I sure wouldn't WANT the job.

Makes me think of Tom Clancy's Executive Orders. Hey, we can dream...

At one time, I seriously thought about city council as alderman. That was back in the day I lived in city limits. Never again.

I have thought about it but, the wife says no because I would just make lots of people mad. She seems to think that I would be to direct and that folks would take offense to what I had to say when they came up with lame brained ideas or such.

So I have reserved myself to getting everything paid for and getting out into the county to be away from as much politcal bull and lower taxes by the time my son gets his drivers license.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well now that everyone has bad mouthed politicians I figured it was time to speak up. I have run for office and am currently serving in my first term as a Councilman in my city. If you are interested in politics I encourage you to run for a local office. You'll learn a lot and sometimes only in small ways, you will make a difference.

Talk about feeling alone, I am a pro-2A politician in the State of CA.

Ok, you can get back to the lie, cheat and steal comments.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I've never thought about it, though I have worked with a lot of politicians. Some of them were actually good people trying to make a difference and had genuine concern for people. A few were weasels, but frankly it wouldn't matter what they worked at, they would have been the same way. The others were just filling a slot and doing whatever the party wanted in order to keep their jobs.

I did figure out that it was about 90% boredom and 10% exasperated panic after I sat in on a few sessions.

YES !!! Very Strongly been considering it.

I'm thinking about starting a political career. I've finally got to the point in my life where I want to get involved and try to stop some of the nonsense in government. I believe in small government and the ability of the people to take care of themselves. However, I also understand that governments are important for many reasons. I figure I'm going to start and the local commissioner level and see how that goes. However, I'm going to have to learn a whole bunch about politics and how to navigate the waters. Anyone in central PA know a good source for this type of information? Perhaps a mentor?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Well now that everyone has bad mouthed politicians I figured it was time to speak up. I have run for office and am currently serving in my first term as a Councilman in my city. If you are interested in politics I encourage you to run for a local office. You'll learn a lot and sometimes only in small ways, you will make a difference.

Talk about feeling alone, I am a pro-2A politician in the State of CA.

Ok, you can get back to the lie, cheat and steal comments.
    Sorry to use such a big brush - thanks for being a voice of sanity.

As far as a political group for backing, I've personally decided on being a Libertarian. Seems to have so much in line with my views. Hopefully they'll be able to provide some assistance on getting newcomers into office.

Sure, I'd run - for the hills.

No, wait, I could use all those people looking for dirt on me - I'm stuck trying to find out where my great grandfather came from.

Couldn't, I'm too honest. I couldn't lie to people.

Also, in my youth I DID inhale and liked it! See, unlike Slick Willie I can't lie about it.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links