Night time encounter.

Night time encounter.

This is a discussion on Night time encounter. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sitting here this evening on the forum thread of The dogs that protect your families and chatting with my Bro via IM. When 3 hooded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Night time encounter.

Sitting here this evening on the forum thread of The dogs that protect your families and chatting with my Bro via IM. When 3 hooded figures lurk past my windows headed for my front door. I saw one out of the corner of my eye then caught the other 2. They had started to approached the door in a very quik and menicing manor haunched and like I said hooded. The thought of the past few weeks and the several home invations went through my head. At the same moment I started to Draw the 3 Olde English Bulldogges I have barked and started for the door. One of the fellows saw me Draw and the look on his face was priceless. The look of "Holly Sheep Dip! We are in trouble!" And all three turned tail and ran up the street.
    When I got out to see where they were headed there was accually 4 of them. And all were headed for the next county! It was quite a sight to see my Dogges on the edge of the property watching them intently to make sure they were gone as well.

LOL... the other end of the perspective. here I am talking to him on my end of the IM. I hear the dogs go nuts. Not the normal I want to play barks and grawls, but the I am going to eat you kind-o- ones. I ask "Whats going on." to which there was no repley. I keep listening cause I could hear his wife and kids still talking in the background alarmed, but ok. About the moment I was going to call the house or run down the street to there residence my bro comes back on and relates what has happend and say's "they are headed your way." SO.... I run out the room grabing the 40. holstering it throwing a light jacket on and tossing my cell phone in my pocket as I tell my wife, in prosses of running out the door. " I'm going to walk around for a bit. I got my gun and my phone." I do some rounds around the block after meeting up with carpet475 and return home after its apperent all is well. what a good night. what a better way to put me in a cheerful mood.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Dear Luckyfugal,

I see that you're new here: welcome! I'm glad you're here, and that you're one of the sheepdogs instead of a sheep. You'll find this a great place to learn: I sure have learned a lot, and continue to do so.

Some of what you'll learn is how to make a bad guy's day REALLY BAD. You'll also learn how to keep from making your own day (or life) really bad. Part of this 'defensive' learning is in terms of situational awareness, training, tactics, and such, while other training involves when to head for the tall grass instead of engaging.

Occasionally, you'll get beat up - I have. Please look beyond the discomfort of the words and understand the heart behind the words: these guys (myself included) are trying to keep you alive and out of jail and bankruptcy! We really do care... which is why I'm going to give you my best assessment here:

...I tell my wife, in process of running out the door... " I'm going to walk around for a bit. I got my gun and my phone."
    1) I would not have headed outside with probable bad guys around, but rather would have ensured I had a weapon within reach, and maybe would have doused the inside lights. No need to leave the comparative safety of the home.
    2) Aside from personal danger, I could imagine encountering the bad guys and one of them reached up to rub his nose... at a heightened level of suspicion I could easily think I was being threatened and start firing. And even if the guy WAS armed, imagine the field day the prosecuting attorney would have, saying I reacted to the brother's call as if it were first day of hunting season.
    3) I would not leave my wife when a threat is present (note: if your wife is able to protect herself that's great - mine is, but I would still prefer both of us to be together).
    4) I would tell my wife what was happening. If I went out front, she might decide to take the dog out back and could have walked into the bad guys... or into me: if I were startled, it could end VERY badly.

I can certainly sympathize with the desire to protect the family and neighborhood, but would encourage you to think this through a bit more. Again, welcome - and stay safe!

Wink

well. I didnt feel the need to go into much detail about everything. But I do thank you and all your points are well recieved and thank you for the warm welcome.

However.

When it is your duty to insure safty to those who are not aware of the danger. Just like sheepdogs do. Organize, Assess, and Engage. I had told my wife what was going on. she had the 12 ga, her 9mm and the husky all in the house with lights off and doors locked and dead bolted as I left. as I left I had turned the exterior lights on so that the yard was eluminated but the indoors were not. I informed her that I had my phone , and she had hers at hand. my house and family are well and safe. (I asure you if I was even slightly doubting that my family would be in harms way I would have stayed by there side.) They are ok and defended. and my neighbors were out side roasting dogs as well. I had informed them in passing that they should be on alert. "the bad guys" would have had a very hard time getting any where near my house without a ruckis being made and that would have brought out my cousin from next door. as well as the two sherrifs and two city police officers that live down the street. So I have to consider others around me. Who else might get hurt with these guys out. where is there next target. Is it the next door kids? I might get personal injury by my choice yes. I might get into some trouble by my choice yes. Thats why I didnt go about it alone. But in a pair to raise are chances of success and survival in a combat situation. As far as attornys, all I can say is if they want to prosecute me for doing my duty, thats fine but atleast I can say I did it. and they will have to deal with many deffernt law departments from many entitis. NRA, Utah State, my own personal attornys and I would have been the first to inform the law of the situation had it esculated.( I keep the attorny generals cell number on speed dial for just such occastion.) but yes had the sercomstances been different I might have Implamented such actions as you have suggested and I thank you for the concern. I would suggest others to do as you have suggested. IF, sercomstances dont lean in your favor to serve and protect your community.

I am new to this forum, but not to such situations.

sorry to go on so.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Talking IM? As close as you guys are to each other, isn't that a "local call"? glad it all worked out okay for ya!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Talking IM? As close as you guys are to each other, isn't that a "local call"?
    glad it all worked out okay for ya!
    Ya, but this way we don't have to hold a phone.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyfugal View Post
    well. I didnt feel the need to go into much detail about everything. ...I am new to this forum, but not to such situations.
    Very impressive - and I probably should have asked a question or two before jumping to conclusions.

For me, with less training and experience (and physically in poor shape), I feel perhaps a bit more conservative in how I would approach things. But bravo for you... and thanks for the clarification: it's great to see others who have it together.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpet475 View Post
    Ya, but this way we don't have to hold a phone.
    err uh...bluetooth?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Well done guys. I would say that you both are looking out for each other and the rest of the neighborhood.

Keep a watch out for those bad guys, they know you are armed now and if they decide to come back, they may be armed as well and they my shoot first.

Over all I'd say you two did well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Were the authorities notified and a report filed? Now the BGs know there's a least one gun at your house.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

We have LEO's that live in the neighborhood, so yes.

Administrator
    Expect them to come back when your gone.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Expect them to come back when your gone.
    The dogs are still home and out, and they can't get to the guns (locked up or on me) or valuables. Also this house is solid, to get in you have to make noise allot of it too and neighbors are home during the day and we (yes we) look out for one another. Wile I was building the house I could leave my saws out and nothing would move cause if someone showed up on foot or in a car they got welcomed. That is the biggest reason I went through all the BS I did to stay here.

So when/if they do they will still get a warm welcome.
    "Right to bare arms and right to pack a bully!" --Linda @ Rock Roll

sounds like an interesting night.

But its great that your neighborhood is so close knit and to have a brother and a cousin on it is something not very common anymore.

Got any lots left on your street?

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    But its great that your neighborhood is so close knit and to have a brother and a cousin on it is something not very common anymore.

Got any lots left on your street?
    A few houses for sale.
    "Right to bare arms and right to pack a bully!" --Linda @ Rock Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links